Windy Ridge School Newsletter
13 August 2021
Term 3 Week 3
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Manaakitanga-Respect, Manawaroa-Resilience, Atawhai-Kindness, Honore-Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa.
Nau mai ki nga purongo o tenei wiki – welcome to this week’s news!
We have received positive feedback from parents about this week’s student-led conference, held on Tuesday afternoon/evening. It was great to see our students being able to talk with confidence about the learning that they have been doing and articulate their future goals. We hope that you found it useful talking with your child’s teacher about both the learning and our new real-time reporting process, including how we are now using Seesaw as our central reporting online tool.
Our sports boys and girls who attended the Rippa Rugby Cluster Day at the Glenfield Rugby Club had an amazing day yesterday. A huge thank you to our parents who spent the day supporting and encouraging our players: Anna Kennedy, Duncan Lilley, and Mei Anderson. Also, thank you to Jenine Maxwell, Nick Upton, and Caroline Hudson for your amazing support. We have some amazing photos of the day on our Parent Facebook page.
Strategic Planning for 2022
The School Board met on Sunday to start strategic planning for next year. We discussed some great ideas around reviewing and improving the great teaching and learning that is already happening. We have identified 4 areas for strategic development: Grow Teaching and Learning | Grow Community | Grow Hauora and Well-being | Grow Cultural Sustainability.
Obviously, we wish to collect parent/community voice around our plans, and this can be done either in person at our school office where we have got a display to which you can add comments, or via an electronic survey which is now open.
I wish everyone a restful weekend.
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
Like many other schools, we use the services of School Docs who design policies for many New Zealand schools; updating them to reflect current legislation. Periodically parents are asked to review certain policies. This term parents are invited to have their say around two policies, the Behaviour Management & Concerns and Complaints. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events for 2021
If your child is year 6 and you would like to know more about enrolling them at an intermediate for next year Glenfield Intermediate have a series of Parent Open Evenings, Transition Day & School Tours coming up in August. All year 6 students will have received a copy of this notice which was sent home yesterday. Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events
PTA Corner – Term 3
Bunnings BBQ Fundraiser – We are desperate for more helpers for our fundraising BBQ at Bunnings on Saturday 21st August. Of you can spare some time to help please sign up here: https://www.volunteersignup.
Please continue to collect the Yummy cut-out labels from bags (each cut-out label is worth 10 stickers) and individual Yummy apple stickers until September for our school’s share of the $200,000 free
PTA Officers: Chairperson – Kieren Striefler – Treasurer – Joy Marshall – Secretary – Yvonne Parseramen
School Term Dates:
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day 30 August – School Closed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October – School Closed)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Teacher training day Monday 30th August – School closed
- Board Meeting Monday 30th August – 6.30pm in the staffroom
- Class & Individual Photos – Tuesday 2nd November
“sKids Windy Ridge is here for July School Holidays! Visit: www.sKids.co.nz/book to book now!”
KickStart Breakfast – Every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website https://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – Term 3 ezlunch menu – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975