Windy Ridge School Newsletter
30 July 2021
Term 3 Week 1
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa.
Nau mai ki nga purongo o tenei wiki – welcome to this week’s news!
A warm welcome back to Term 3, we hope that you had a great holiday and that the children are loving being back into their learning. A special welcome goes out to our new students and whānau.
Mid-Year Data Summary Reports
You will have received your child’s Mid-Year Data Summary Report this afternoon. These reports are an ongoing part of our new Real-time Reporting and show your child’s current Structured Literacy / Reading assessment, Writing level, and Junior Assessment in Maths / GLoSS test assessment data. You will also see their current Key Competency assessments. To read more about our Real-time Reporting please follow the link to the parent presentation that we held in Week 10 of last term. If you have any queries, please talk further to your child’s whanau teacher.
We will be holding our mid-year Student-Led Conferences on Wednesday 11 August between 1:30 – 7:30 pm. Sessions will last for 20 minutes and will allow your child to share their learning and show you their work. During this time you will have an opportunity to talk with the teacher, and learn more about real-time reporting and have a look at your child’s Seesaw posts.
To book your conference go to: https://www.schoolinterviews.co.nz/ and use the booking code: 9vpnc Bookings are now open
Miss Maxwell will have time slots for parents wishing to meet with her, as will Mrs Lewis for Reading Recovery. Mrs Millard and the ESOL / GATE team will also be in the ESOL room for parents and students wanting to pop in for a chat.
To allow for conferences School will close and students go home at 12:30 pm – SKIDS will be available
Congratulations to our new Road Patrollers who have started their patrols this week. They all completed their training with Constable Harwood during Term 2 and are now doing a great job keeping us safe at the front and back gates before and after school. Well done everyone- we are very proud of you. A special mention to Miss Maxwell and Mrs Brown for organising and assisting with the training sessions.
PTA Sausage Sizzle
Congratulations to our amazing PTA for their work with the sausage sizzle at Bunnings, Glenfield last weekend. It was great to be part of such a successful community fundraising event. Over the day the team sold 415 sausages and made an amazing $887 profit for the PTA and ultimately our school. Go Kieran and the team!
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
Have Your Say – Term 3 Policy Reviews
Like many other schools, we use the services of School Docs who design policies for many New Zealand schools; updating them to reflect current legislation. Periodically parents are asked to review certain policies. This term parents are invited to have their say around two policies, the Behaviour Management & Concerns and Complaints. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Basketball Semester 2 – We are taking registrations for basketball teams for semester two for 2021. This Semester will begin on Tuesday August 10th 2021. The venue is at the Eventfinder Stadium for Yr 3-4 and AUT or North Shore Event Centre for Yr 5-6 on Tuesdays. The teams are for students in Year 2 (beginners), Y 3/4 (mixed) and Year 5/6 (mixed). Please register and pay directly on Kindo by Monday 2nd August. www.mykindo.co.nz Basketball Semester 2 2021
Rippa Rugby Tournament – Reminder next Wednesday 4th August our Rippa teams will be competing at Kaipatiki Park (Glenfield Rugby Club). Please remember if your child has registered to compete in this event they require a school t-shirt and a mouthguard to participate. The students will now be travelling by bus to this event.
Kotare Nui Team Dance Lessons – Commencing next Tuesday 3rd August the year 5 & 6 students will be participating in dances lessons. The lessons will take place every Tuesday afternoon for 1 hour from 1:40pm – 2:40pm for six lessons in Term 3 and will conclude with the children presenting the dances they have learnt in the final session. Parents and caregivers are welcome to come and watch the final session, we will send a reminder closer to the event. Dance Notice
Scholastic Book Club – Online ordering closes next Wednesday 4th August, https://www.scholastic.co.nz/parents/lucky-book-club/
Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events for 2021
If your child is year 6 and you would like to know more about enrolling them at an intermediate for next year Glenfield Intermediate have a series of Parent Open Evenings, Transition Day & School Tours coming up in August. All year 6 students will have received a copy of this notice which was sent home yesterday. Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events
PTA Corner – Term 3
PTA Officers: Chairperson – Kieren Striefler – Treasurer – Joy Marshall – Secretary – Yvonne Parseramen
School Term Dates:
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day 30 August – School Closed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October – School Closed)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Teacher training day Monday 30th August – School closed
- Board Meeting Monday 30th August – 6.30pm in the staffroom
“sKids Windy Ridge is here for July School Holidays! Visit: www.sKids.co.nz/book to book now!”
KickStart Breakfast – Every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website https://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – Term 3 ezlunch menu – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975