Windy Ridge School Newsletter
2 July 2021
Term 2 Week 9
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa.
Nau mai ki nga purongo o tenei wiki – welcome to this week’s news!
What an amazing community morning we had as we observed Matariki today led by Matua Danny Watson. It was great seeing our families in school to share in our celebrations. Congratulations to all of the children who performed in Kapa Haka, Choir and Aerobics. And, a special acknowledgement to Elsie for her speech about the Matariki Pins programme and Charlotte, Sadie, Yasmin, Ambra and Mila for their persuasive speeches about the merits of making Matariki a public holiday.
An amazing day made possible through the work of all of our teachers, with the key organisation from Mrs Angela Hall, and the Striefler family who made our delicious breakfast.
A final thank you to Matua Danny Watson for his support and wise karakia and kōrero. Kia ora Danny moto karakia e motor whaikorero.
In the preparations for the new building, contractors will be starting to dismantle the Old Falcon Block during the forthcoming school holidays, starting Saturday 10 July. The first part of this process will be the removal of the exterior cladding which contains some low grade asbestos. This process will be fully managed and there will be no danger to students or staff. Please see the attached letter Letter to School that has been sent home today about the process.
End of Term Reminders
Next week is the final week of term 2. The school will finish at 3:00 pm on Friday 9th July.
There will be a parent information session on Wednesday 7th July between 6:30-7:30 pm to outline the changes in reporting, please come along if you would like to know more about the process. Please rsvp your attendance to email@example.com
Mid-Year data reports will be issued at the end of Week 1 of Term 3.
Keep warm and dry and stay well everyone,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
Have Your Say
Like many other schools, we use the services of School Docs who design policies for many New Zealand schools; updating them to reflect current legislation. Periodically parents are asked to review certain policies. This month parents are invited to have their say around the Reporting to Parents on Student Progress and Achievement. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events for 2021
If your child is year 6 and you would like to know more about enrolling them at an intermediate for next year Glenfield Intermediate have a series of Parent Open Evenings, Transition Day & School Tours coming up in August. All year 6 students will have received a copy of this notice which was sent home yesterday. Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events
PTA Officers: Chairperson – Kieren Striefler – Treasurer – Joy Marshall – Secretary – Yvonne Parseramen
School Term Dates:
Term 2: Monday 3 May – Friday 9 July (Teacher Training Day 25 June – School Closed)
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day 30 August – School Closed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October – School Closed)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
Desperately seeking lovely parents to supervise our road patrol wardens, either at the front gate or back. No experience necessary – training will be provided. Please contact Jenine on firstname.lastname@example.org
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Real-time Reporting Community Information Evening – Wednesday 7th July from 6.30pm to 7.30pm – Please rsvp your attendance to email@example.com
- Board Meeting – Monday 26th July at 6.30pm in the staffroom
“sKids Windy Ridge is here for July School Holidays! Visit: www.sKids.co.nz/book to book now!”
KickStart Breakfast – Every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website https://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
Art Day for children in the holidays (ages 7 – 12 yrs.)
If your child loves drawing and painting they’ll love this one-day workshop with artist Eion Bryant. With step-by-step instruction they will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips
and techniques along the way. Fun and focused! VENUE: Beach Haven Community House, July 14th, 10.00am– 3.00pm. Cost: $55
Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org, mob 0211327033 or 0210606641
Extraordinarily Creative: Tim Bray Youth Theatre offers after-school drama classes for neurodiverse children on the North Shore, endorsed by the Children’s Autism Foundation.
Enrolments are now open for Term 3. https://timbray.org.nz/
Linku2 School Holidays
Find. Support. Promote.
Helping local business and community to Go Local, Grow Local…
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975