Windy Ridge School Newsletter
12 June 2021
Term 2 Week 6
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa.
Nau mai ki nga purongo o tenei wiki – welcome to this week’s news!
What an amazing whole-school assembly we had this morning, led by our Kōtare Nui team. Collectively we celebrated student achievement, welcomed 3 new students to our school, and sung songs and waiata. It was also impressive to be able to share a glimpse of the work that our Year 5/6 students have been doing around researching and writing their Pepeha. We were shown how they had presented them in a variety of creative ways. Some had chosen to create decorative cloaks made of paper and feathers with Māori designs and drawings illustrating their maunga and awa, while others had painted beautifully crafted self-portraits using pen and dye, with their pepeha forming part of the picture. Some had even used their digital technology skills to code their pepeha, creating printed circuits which spoke their stories through their chromebooks and ‘makimaki’ devices. What an amazing demonstration of integrated learning at its very best – Te Reo Māori, Tikanga, visual Art, digital coding and performance.
Earlier this week Kōtare Iti students enjoyed a pyjama day, coming to school and learning whilst snuggly warm in PJs of every colour and style. What a great and fun way to learn and come together.
Over the next few days our new, remodeled website will go live. www.windyridge.school.nz Everyone involved has worked tirelessly to redesign it, majorly enhancing its content. We hope that the new ‘Learning’ tab will be informative and showcase what a great and varied education we offer at Windy Ridge. Our aim has been to celebrate our play-based philosophy whilst celebrating our strong core learning. We believe that as our students move through school their reading, writing, mathematical, and inquiry skills will assist them to develop a personal understanding of the world around them. We are still looking to build more information into the site with new pages relating to Te Reo Māori, Tikanga, and Māori Te Ao, plus information around our new reporting changes, which we will be consulting with our community over the new week or so.
After such a great week, it is time for us to congratulate everyone for the great work that they are doing and wish you all a happy weekend.
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
Like many other schools, we use the services of School Docs who design policies for many New Zealand schools; updating them to reflect current legislation. Periodically parents are asked to review certain policies. This month parents are invited to have their say around the Reporting to Parents on Student Progress and Achievement. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events for 2021
If your child is year 6 and you would like to know more about enrolling them at an intermediate for next year Glenfield Intermediate have a series of Parent Open Evenings, Transition Day & School Tours coming up in August. All year 6 students will have received a copy of this notice which was sent home yesterday. Glenfield Intermediate Transition Events
Sausage Sizzle Fundraiser
We need some more volunteers for a Bunnings sausage sizzle on Sunday 25th July. Sign up here for a shift>>>>> volunteersignup.org/T7LKX
This is a great chance of fundraising from wallets outside our direct school community.
If you are interested in joining the PTA or just want to volunteer to help with events like school sausage sizzles or discos, please email email@example.com, or contact Kieren or Joy for more info.
Chairperson – Kieren Striefler
Treasurer – Joy Marshall
Secretary – Yvonne Parseramen
School Term Dates:
Term 2: Monday 3 May – Friday 9 July (Teacher Training Day 25 June – School Closed)
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day 30 August – School Closed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October – School Closed)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
Desperately seeking lovely parents to supervise our road patrol wardens, either at the front gate or back. No experience necessary – training will be provided. Please contact Jenine on firstname.lastname@example.org
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Term 3 Out of Zone Ballot – Friday 11th June, applications close Tuesday 8th June
- Board Meeting – Monday 28th June at 6.30pm in the staff room
“sKids Windy Ridge is here for July School Holidays! Visit: www.sKids.co.nz/book to book now!”
KickStart Breakfast – Every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website https://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
Need to focus on your health and fitness? Come join Encompass Fitness group training at Glenfield Rugby Club in term 2! 9.30am sessions are women only with a free babysitter for under 5’s. 5.45am sessions are mixed. Email Kelly at email@example.com.
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975