Windy Ridge School Newsletter
14 May 2021
Term 2 Week 2
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa,
Sign Language Week
This week has been New Zealand Sign Language Week and we would like to acknowledge whānau and our wider community who are either signers or members of the deaf community.
NZ Sign Language is the third national language of Aotearoa after Te Reo Māori and English and provides essential communication for those unable to hear.
This sign language chart may help you and your whānau to learn a few basic signs.
Also, enjoy one of the NZSL Videos promoting Sign Language Week 2021.
Parking and Pickup
Despite having raised car parking in an earlier newsletter, we continue to have a small group of parents and caregivers who continue to use our front car park to drop off and pick up their child. We have made this car park off-limits to parents purely for Health and Safety concerns. It is dangerous for cars to drive in and have to back out across the path of children walking to and from school. It is not acceptable for parents to be moving cones and ignoring this decision. Can we ask that all members of your whānau are made aware of this ongoing problem? Pigeon Mountain School in East Auckland has already had a fatality caused by a similar issue, please work with us to ensure that Windy Ridge is not the next!
On Tuesday (18 May) we will be holding a Junky Monkey Day, where our tamariki will have fun engaging in loose parts play on a grand scale. Research shows us that “Playing and experimenting with open-ended materials encourages creativity and imagination. New skills in planning, communication, and problem-solving are developed, and because there is no prescribed way to use the parts, children make the decisions. They learn, through play, at the level that they are ready for, and stretch themselves by setting their own goals and challenges.” The day will be facilitated by Ann Langis and the Junky Monkey team along with our teachers. We would like to invite parents who would like to come along to attend their child’s session to share the wonderful experience.
Please make sure that your child has appropriate clothing including a light rain jacket for their session – we will go ahead rain or shine. We also ask that you think about them wearing suitable closed-in footwear where possible to ensure their safety.
Session times: Piwakawaka between 9:00-10:40 am | Kotare Iti between 11:00 – 12:30 pm | Kotare Nui between 1:30 – 3:00 pm.
Have a great weekend everyone,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
The PTA (Parents and Teachers Association) is a group of parents who want to help fundraise for the school. We work alongside the Board of Trustees, senior management and school staff, our main goal is to provide extra resources to our students through fundraising initiatives.
Over the past few years some of those projects include classroom resources and bigger projects like the new junior playground and sandpit with shade sail.
Being a part of the PTA is a great opportunity to be involved in your child’s education, and meet other like-minded parents and caregivers in the school. We are always keen for new members – to bring fresh ideas and energy, and to help share the load. Every little bit counts, if every parent gave an hour over the course of the year we would easily be able to reach our goals!
There are many ways to get involved. We need committee members to meet and plan events. Helpers that turn up on the day and give an hour or two of their time. Donations – if you own a business that can donate products for raffles, or work for one that might, we are happy to provide a donation letter on request. We also love giving a shout out to local businesses that support us in our fundraising, both on Facebook and via the school newsletter. We are also open to ideas via email, if you have seen something work at another school or club they can be emailed through to firstname.lastname@example.org
Logistics: We meet at least once a term in the school staffroom to plan fundraisers and school community events. Meeting times are advertised in the school newsletter and the Facebook group. We also have a group email and a Facebook Messenger chat for those who want to keep informed and help with decision-making.
With our school hall being used as a classroom for the foreseeable future we are looking at running some offsite/weekend events like Bunnings sausage sizzles, Parents Lawn Bowls, Family Bowling or Movie at a local cinema.
If you are interested in joining the PTA or just want to volunteer to help with events like school sausage sizzles or discos, please email email@example.com, or contact Kieren or Joy for more info.
Chairperson – Kieren Striefler
Treasurer – Joy Marshall
Secretary – Yvonne Parseramen
School Term Dates:
Term 2: Monday 3 May – Friday 9 July (Teacher Training Day 25 June – School Closed)
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day 30 August – School Closed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October – School Closed)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
Desperately seeking lovely parents to supervise our road patrol wardens, either at the front gate or back. No experience necessary – training will be provided. Please contact Jenine on firstname.lastname@example.org
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Structured Literacy Parent Information Evening – Wednesday 26th May Parent Information Flyer Structured Literacy 26 May 2021
- Board Meeting – Monday 31st May at 6.30pm in the staffroom
KickStart Breakfast – Every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website https://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
Need to focus on your health and fitness? Come join Encompass Fitness group training at Glenfield Rugby Club in term 2! 9.30am sessions are women only with a free babysitter for under 5’s. 5.45am sessions are mixed. Email Kelly at email@example.com.
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975