Windy Ridge School Newsletter
9 April 2021
Term 1 Week 9
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa,
Looking After Our School Grounds
Following the stunning long weekend, unfortunately, we returned to a school that had been subjected to some considerable graffiti and tagging. We have been working with the Police and the local council who support schools to identify the perpetrators, and as a result, have undertaken some positive restorative conversations with the families of the ex-students who were responsible. On the flip side, it was heartening to hear that some of our current pupils who were in school when the tagging was being done had approached the boys and had asked them to stop ruining the school that they loved so much. Obviously, we take this seriously and would ask anyone who is on the grounds at weekends and out of hours and who sees this type of behaviour happening to report it to the Police. A huge thanks to Darren, our caretaker who quickly and effectively removed and painted out the graffiti.
The School Term Ends on Thursday
Just a reminder to parent and whānau that the last day of Term 1 will be this coming Thursday – 15 April. The whole staff will be involved in a teacher only training day on Friday and the school will be closed for instruction. The professional development will be focusing on Restorative Practice. We will be reporting more on this exciting addition to our Positive Behaviour for Learning programme early next term.
From next term, I will be starting up a School Choir. The Year 5-6 students will get the opportunity to perform at the Auckland Town Hall in November as part of the APPA Music Festival, where I am one of the concert conductors again this year. If there is enough interest we will also form a Middle School singing group as well. Music has always been a huge passion and I have worked with youth choirs for over 20 years. If your child is interested please encourage them to sign up after the holidays.
Have a great weekend everyone,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
This Monday we will be holding a meeting in the staffroom at on Wednesday 14th April at 6pm for any parents interested in joining our sports committee for this year.
School Term Dates:
Term 1: Tuesday 9 February – Thursday 15 April (Teacher Training Day 16 April – School Closed)
Term 2: Monday 3 May – Friday 9 July (Teacher Training Day 25 June – School Closed)
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day – Date to be confirmed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October – School Closed)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
Desperately seeking lovely parents to supervise our road patrol wardens, either at the front gate or back. No experience necessary – training will be provided. Please contact Jenine on email@example.com
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Board Meeting – Monday 31st May at 6.30pm in the staffroom
KickStart Breakfast – We have started breakfast club this week in the hall kitchen. It will be running every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Sun Safety – All students are required to wear a sunhat this term, please make sure the hats are named. We also provide sunscreen in the classrooms but recommend that you do apply some before school.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website https://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Holiday Programme:
Studio 246 present
“ALICE IN WONDERLAND”
Come perform in our 17th Holiday show; a week of dance, singing, acting, making costumes and props, performing to family and friends on the last day.
Monday to Friday April 19th-23rd 9am-3pm with before and after school care available.
Programme held at Murrays Bay Intermediate
Boys and Girls aged 5-15 Welcome. Suitable for experienced kids and beginners.
Limited spaces available: Please ring 0211849849 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
“Brain Play coding, robotics, 3d printing and STEM classes. Holiday programs currently for $60 per day. Free trials available. Ages 5+.
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975