Windy Ridge School Newsletter
19 March 2021
Term 1 Week 6
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu
Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations
Tēnā koutou katoa,
With the new school year, comes the commencement of a new or updated Strategic Plan or Charter.
Our strategic plan for 2021 continues to be focused on Growing Students, Teachers and Community, however, we have added two additional areas of focus: Guardianship of Well-being and Grow Cultural Sustainability.
So what does this mean for your child and our school overall?
- Grown Student – Wakatipu Tamariki continues to look at designing and delivering the very best programmes and outcomes possible to grow our students, encouraging their leadership potential and listening to their student voice.
- Grow Teachers – Nga Kaiako focusses on further developing the professional practice of our amazing teachers, collaborating around best practice and continuing to inquire into new and more effective ways of delivering quality teaching, learning and assessment outcomes.
- Grow Community – Te Hunga Tēne Hapori celebrates the rich relationships that we have with our parents, whānau and friends of the school. We will be looking to build stronger relationships with our local iwi and Pasifika communities, as well as celebrating the rich multi-culturalism that we so lucky to be able to share at Windy Ridge.
- Grow Guardianship of Well-being – Kaitiaki Hauora. Through this new focus area, we will promote positive well-being and prosocial behaviour through new initiatives such as Te Ara Whaka Mana (Mana Hiwihau) and Restorative Practice.
- Grow Cultural Sustainability – Whakaute Ahurea is also a new focus in our strategic planning this year. It sets goals around upholding Te Tiriti o Waitangi, starting to build meaningful local curriculum and deepening our cultural knowledge including Te Kanaga and Te Reo Māori
We have also updated our Active Learner Profile for 2021. In line with our additional strategic focus around Guardianship of Well-being – Kaitiaki Hauora We have added an additional button to raise awareness and importance about celebrating our own and other’s identity and mana. You will also see that in line with our Cultural Sustainability – Whakaute Ahurea strategy we are promoting our values in both Te Reo Māori and English.
I hope that you have a great weekend everyone,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
- Juicie Day – The PTA is selling Juicie Tubes at lunchtime on Friday 26th March for $2.00, order forms were sent home today. Juicies Order form 26th March 2021
Netball – We are collecting interest for the 2021 Netball Season. This is open to year 1-6. All games will be held at the Glenfield College Netball courts, game times will be between 9:00 – 12:00 depending on the grade. We will be wearing Windy Ridge School T shirts this year which you can purchase for $15 at the office, and black bottoms. Leggings or shorts will be fine. Fees for the season are $85 per player. As always, we will require coaches/managers for each team. You do not have to run a practice, but should you choose to, I can help with space and equipment for you and your team.
Please let me know if you have any questions, email@example.com
School Term Dates:
Term 1: Tuesday 9 February – Friday 16 April (Teacher Training Day 16 April – School Closed)
Term 2: Monday 3 May – Friday 9 July (Teacher Training Day 25 June – School Closed)
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day – Date to be confirmed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
Like many other schools, we use the services of School Docs who design policies for many New Zealand schools; updating them to reflect current legislation. Periodically parents are asked to review certain policies. This month parents are invited to have their say around the Home Learning. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Calling for Parent Helpers
We are asking for some parents to help our teachers and teacher aides in the Resource Room to help put readers and books away. Even if you can only pop in for a couple of hours, we would love to hear from you. We will train you up and show you what needs to be done. If you think you can help, could you please contact our lovely Donna Walker firstname.lastname@example.org
Desperately seeking lovely parents to supervise our road patrol wardens, either at the front gate or back. No experience necessary – training will be provided. Please contact Jenine on email@example.com
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- March 26th – Piwakawaka visit to the Science Playroom
- March 29th – Board of Trustees meeting at 6.30pm in the staffroom
KickStart Breakfast – We have started breakfast club this week in the hall kitchen. It will be running every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Team Piwakawaka Trip – On Friday 26th March the Piwakawaka team will be visiting the Science Playroom. The Science Playroom is full of open ended science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) activities which are integrated into a fun ‘hands on’ children’s science museum. Please complete the permission and return to the office. Science Playroom Permission Slip
- Sun Safety – All students are required to wear a sunhat this term, please make sure the hats are named. We also provide sunscreen in the classrooms but recommend that you do apply some before school.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website http://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
Brain Play coding, robotics, and 3d printing classes. After-school, weekend, and holiday courses. Free trials available. Ages 5+.
On Sunday 21st March 2021.
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 28th – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975