Windy Ridge School Newsletter
5 March 2021
Term 1 Week 4
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
He aroha whakatō, he aroha puta mai – If kindness/respect is sown, it will come back to you.
Tēnā koutou katoa,
Doing Well Under Lockdown:
It has been another bizarre week with us back in Level 3 lockdown. Thankfully the situation has turned out positively, with no further community transmissions having been reported. To paraphrase Jacinda, our team of 5 million has pulled together once again. However, it has still been a worrying time for many and one which can not have avoided raising stress levels.
On the positive side, it has been great to be able to share so much cool home learning this week through SeeSaw. Children have posted amazing work and shared some great experiences of their learning at home. This just goes to strengthen our philosophy that authentic and valuable learning occurs both inside and outside of the classroom. We have had great attendance to class zooms this week and once again this has proved to be a successful way of our teachers and children connecting remotely.
At school, we have had between 12 – 23 students working in 2 bubble classes, and a huge thanks goes to Mrs Tabuteau, Mrs Walker, Mrs Brown, Mrs Hall, Ms Maxwell, Mrs Millard and Mrs Boyce for supporting them. I’d also like to thank our other teachers and teacher aides who worked at home remotely, supporting our home learning programme. We are so very lucky to have such a dedicated and committed staff at Windy Ridge.
With the ups and downs of lockdowns this term, we have had a disrupted start to the sports season. We reported last week that Touch Rugby had started and we look forward to the next matches. Basketball was due to have started this week, but the season has been pushed back. The anticipated first game will now be Tuesday 15 Match. Therefore, we are still taking applications for places in our teams, so if you child is interested in playing, please sign them up via kindo
Due to ongoing uncertainty around alert levels, once again we have had to postpone our Back to School Picnic. Please be assured that we are still committed to holding a community event where we can all come together before the Autumn kicks in. We will advertise a new date as soon as we are confident of being able to go ahead.
Have a great weekend everyone,
Stay safe and well,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou.
Click for more information about joining a basketball team
School Term Dates:
Term 1: Tuesday 9 February – Friday 16 April (Teacher Training Day 16 April – School Closed)
Term 2: Monday 3 May – Friday 9 July (Teacher Training Day 25 June – School Closed)
Term 3: Monday 26 July – Friday 1 October (Teacher Training Day – Date to be confirmed)
Term 4: Monday 18 October – Monday 20 December (Teachers Training Day 26 October)
Public Holidays – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th April & (Tuesday 6th April – NZ Schools observed), Queens Birthday Monday 7th June, Labour Day Monday 25th October
Like many other schools, we use the services of School Docs who design policies for many New Zealand schools; updating them to reflect current legislation. Periodically parents are asked to review certain policies. This month parents are invited to have their say around the Home Learning. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Calling for Parent Helpers
We are asking for some parents to help our teachers and teacher aides in the Resource Room to help put readers and books away. Even if you can only pop in for a couple of hours, we would love to hear from you. We will train you up and show you what needs to be done. If you think you can help, could you please contact our lovely Donna Walker firstname.lastname@example.org
Desperately seeking lovely parents to supervise our road patrol wardens, either at the front gate or back. No experience necessary – training will be provided. Please contact Jenine on email@example.com
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Back to School Family Picnic – Wednesday 10th March 4.30pm to 6.30pm
- Kaipatiki Kahui Ako – Online Safety Information Evening Monday 1st March (postponed new date TBC)
KickStart Breakfast – We have started breakfast club this week in the hall kitchen. It will be running every morning from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
ezlunch orders are made online through your myKindo account. You can order lunch by simply going to www.mykindo.co.nz
Order anytime before cut-off or schedule in advance. Lunch will be delivered to school at lunchtime.
Click here to view the menu.
Help? Visit support.mykindo.co.nz or tel. 09-869 5200 Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Sun Safety – All student are required to wear a sunhat this term, please make sure the hats are named. We also provide sunscreen in the classrooms but recommend that you do apply some before school.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. Please phone the office to leave an absence message or online through the school website http://www.windyridge.school.nz/report-an-absence/ or use the Skool Loop app . We do follow up lateness and absences as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – please send a friend request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Yiu in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
23rd Lakeside Multicultural Festival 2021
On Sunday 21st March 2021.
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 14 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975