Windy Ridge School Newsletter
27th November 2020
Term 4 Week 7
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Te manu e kai ana i te miro, nōna te ngahere; te manu e kai ana i te mātauranga nōna te ao”.
The bird who eats the miro berry is from the forest; the bird who feasts on education is of the world.”
Tēnā koutou katoa,
It is with regret that I have to announce that Ms. Lynley Bendall will be leaving Windy Ridge at the end of term. We congratulate her for successfully securing a team leadership position at another school on the North Shore. We will be sad to see her go, but wish her every success in her exciting new role.
I am glad to announce that Mr. Nick Upton who has been working in Fantails this year and Mrs. Moira Bryant, a long term Windy Ridge part-time teacher will be filling Ms. Bendall’s position in 2021.
Helpers Morning Tea
I would like to invite parents and friends of Windy Ridge who have supported us on trips and at school events throughout the year to join myself and the staff at a helpers morning tea on Thursday 3 December between 10:30 – 11:00 am in the Staff Room. We put this special morning tea on to say a big thank you. We look forward to seeing you there.
On Wednesday the Falcon students enjoyed an amazing day of team building and adventures out on our school field. The fast-paced day saw the children working together as they rotated around a collection of engaging and challenging activities, competing for points as they went. As well as being huge fun, children developed their communication and problem-solving skills while engaging in trust building adventures. A big thank you to BigFoot Adventures ltd who came into our school to lead the day; also the teachers and parents who helped make the day such a success. What a great learning through play experience.
If parents are not believing their eyes when they see teachers clip-clopping around the school in quasi Monty Pythonesque horse canters, wearing traffic cones on their heads or geckoing around the walls then your eyes are not deceiving you. Miss Kim is running a Hunger Games activity amongst the staff with us trying to eliminate each other while having huge fun trying to be the last person standing. It’s the mark of a true learning through play school that sees its teachers deeply engaged in their own games.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
Ka kite anō au i a koutou
Team Tui’s Letter Boxes Have Been delivered to Mitre 10, Glenfield
‘Over the last few weeks pupils at Windy Ridge Primary School have been working hard with Grove Mitre 10 MEGA Glenfield on an upcoming project that will be featured at Mitre 10 MEGA Glenfield’s store throughout the month of December.
Pupils have designed letter boxes, which will be displayed at Mitre 10 MEGA Glenfield as part of a month long festive campaign. With a new surprise being revealed in store each day, alongside the letterboxes, you won’t want to miss this! To find out more about what’s happening in store each day throughout December text GLENFIELD to 3165.
Make sure you pop into the store from the 1st December to see what the pupils have been up to!
Ezlunch – Friday 11th December is the last day available to order online lunches for the year.
Fun Run Prizes – Today almost all of our Fun Run Prizes were sent home. We have a few larger electronic items that had to be sent to school separately. These should arrive at school early next week. We will let you know when they can be picked up.
Lost Property – We are continuing to grow our pile of unclaimed clothing items, please take some time to look in our lost property box on the deck of the hall and inside your child’s classroom. Any unclaimed items will be donated to the local charity store in the school holidays. We do recommend you name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
Cluster Athletics – Our Cluster Athletics day is scheduled for Wednesday December 2nd. If your child is involved please remember the bus will be leaving at 8:50. Therefore all children must be at school and boarding by 8:45. Children will require a school T-shirt. The school will be able to provide some shirts on loan for those children who do not own one. Children will need hats, sunscreen, plenty of food and water. We will be at the Takapuna Athletics Club, Akoranga Drive, Takapuna for the day. Windy Ridge School is not organising the day, and therefore we do not have a timetable of the events for the day. Good luck to all participants for an enjoyable day.
Touch Rugby – Remember to check the draw https://drawsresults.sportsrunner.net/?org=TNH&sport=KT
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Bling Your Wheels – Friday 4th December
- Helpers Morning Tea – Thursday 3rd December at 10.30am
- Prize Giving & Year 6 Graduation Assembly – Monday 7th December
- Team Tui Dance Finals – Tuesday 8th December at 1.30pm
- 2021 Class Visits – Friday 11th December
- Last day of the year Tuesday 15th December at midday
sKids Summer Holiday Dates
Tuesday 15th December from 12pm to 6pm
Wednesday 16th December to Tuesday 22nd December 7am to 6pm
Monday 11th January 2021 to Friday 5th February 2021 7am to 6pm
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- Bling Your Wheels – On Friday the 4th December we will be having a Christmas Wheels Day. It will be at morning tea and lunchtime, and Matt from Auckland Transport is joining us for the day. You may bring bikes, scooters, skate boards, roller blades (all non-motorised wheels). We will have spot prizes for decorated wheels, so get blinging. Make sure you bring helmets and covered shoes.
- PhotoLife – We expect to receive the photo orders in early December.
- School Prizegiving & Year 6 Graduation Assembly – On Monday 7th December at 11am we will be holding our end of year assembly to celebrate our students achievements and farewell year 6 students. This will take part in the hall. We have completed the renovations of the main hall area, the toilet and other areas will be finished before Christmas.
- Sun Safety – All student are required to wear sunhats this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2020
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Tuesday 15/12 at midday
School Terms 2021
Term 1 Tuesday 9th February – Friday 16th April (School Closed – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th & Tuesday 6th April)
Term 2 Monday 3rd May – Friday 9th July (School Closed – Queens Birthday Monday 7th June)
Term 3 Monday 26th July – Friday 1st October
Term 4 Monday 18th October – 16th December (School Closed – Labour Day Monday 25th October)
- Christmas Raffle – There are extra tickets available in the office. Look out for some of the exciting prizes on the parents Facebook page. Thanks again for all your support.
- Volunteers – We are always looking for more volunteers during school time to help with lunches. please email PTA@windyridge.school.nz
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975