Windy Ridge School Newsletter
20th November 2020
Term 4 Week 6
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Te manu e kai ana i te miro, nōna te ngahere; te manu e kai ana i te mātauranga nōna te ao”.
The bird who eats the miro berry is from the forest; the bird who feasts on education is of the world.”
Tēnā koutou katoa,
Celebrating our Athletics Day this Week
What an amazing time we had on Tuesday at our School Athletics Day. Congratulations to all who participated, you showed amazing sportsmanship as you competed in the various disciplines. You all made an awesome effort, and many of you surpassed your fitness goals. From Tuesday’s results, Mrs Turner has selected the cluster teams and they will be representing Windy Ridge at the Cluster Athletics Day on Tuesday 24 November at the Takapuna Amateur Athletics and Harriers Club 9:00 – 2:00 pm. We wish our athletes every success. A huge thank you once again to Mrs Turner for making all of this possible.
School Prizegiving Assembly
We are looking forward to welcoming parents and whānau to our School Prizegiving Assembly on Monday 7 December in our School Hall, starting at 11:00 am. We will be celebrating the achievements of our students at this assembly and officially farewelling our Year 6 students who will be leaving Windy Ridge at the end of the term as they move on to intermediate school.
This year, due to Covid-19 and without the use of the Hall our ESOL team will celebrate the end of the year with lunch and some games for the children who attend our ESOL classes. We will provide hot chips and pizza but the children will still need to bring morning tea and water to drink. This will take place next Friday 27th November.
Next year we hope to be able to have our usual ESOL performance and shared lunch and invite families to join us.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
Ka kite anō au i a koutou
Team Tui’s Letter Boxes Have Been delivered to Mitre 10, Glenfield
‘Over the last few weeks pupils at Windy Ridge Primary School have been working hard with Grove Mitre 10 MEGA Glenfield on an upcoming project that will be featured at Mitre 10 MEGA Glenfield’s store throughout the month of December.
Pupils have designed letter boxes, which will be displayed at Mitre 10 MEGA Glenfield as part of a month long festive campaign. With a new surprise being revealed in store each day, alongside the letterboxes, you won’t want to miss this! To find out more about what’s happening in store each day throughout December text GLENFIELD to 3165.
Make sure you pop into the store from the 1st December to see what the pupils have been up to!
Ezlunch – Friday 11th December is the last day available to order online lunches for the year.
Lost Property – We are continuing to grow our pile of unclaimed clothing items, please take some time to look in our lost property box on the deck of the hall and inside your child’s classroom. Any unclaimed items will be donated to the local charity store in the school holidays. We do recommend you name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
Athletics Cluster Day – Thank you again to all of the parents who supported us on our Athletics day. Well done to all students who participated and demonstrated wonderful sportsmanship and positive attitudes throughout the day. Cluster athletics day will be a full day with students competing from 6 schools across 8 events. We want all children who performed and qualified on the day to have an opportunity to compete in the cluster day if they choose to. If your child has qualified for only 1 event, they will spend the rest of the day watching the other students compete on the side of the Athletics field. Please chat to your child if this applies to them to ensure they are happy to do this, otherwise they are welcome to opt out of the day. We want all children to have an enjoyable experience. Please email email@example.com if you have any queries about this.
Basketball – Remember to check the draw, the entire draw is available for the rest of the term. https://websites.sportstg.com/
Touch Rugby – Remember to check the draw https://drawsresults.sportsrunner.net/?org=TNH&sport=KT
Athletics Day – Athletics Children from year 2-6 will participate in a school – wide athletics day on Tuesday November 17th. (This date has been changed due to rain in the forecast). Our cluster day will be on November 24th for children who place in the top 2 in our school events. Please email sturner@windyridge.
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Team Tui Dance Finals – TBC
- Team Falcon BigFoot Top Team Day – Wednesday 25th November – school grounds
- Prize Giving & Year 6 Graduation Assembly – Monday 7th December
- Last day of the year Tuesday 15th December at midday
sKids Summer Holiday Dates
Tuesday 15th December from 12pm to 6pm
Wednesday 16th December to Tuesday 22nd December 7am to 6pm
Monday 11th January 2021 to Friday 5th February 2021 7am to 6pm
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below –
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
iPhone App Store: https://apps.apple.com/nz/app/
Skool Loop App
- PhotoLife – We expect to receive the photo orders in early December.
- Scholastic Book Club – Orders close next Friday 27th November, please order online https://www.scholastic.co.nz/parents/lucky-book-club/ or drop your order and money into the office.
- Team Falcon EOTC – On Wednesday 25th November the team are participating in a Top Team activity day with BigFoot Adventures. Please complete and return the permission slip to your Whānau teacher Falcon – BIG FOOT Letter 2020.
- Term 4 Team Newsletters – Falcon Term 4 Newsletter 2020 Team Pukeko Term 4 Newsletter – 2020
- School Assembly – Due to the closure of the hall for renovations we will not be holding whole school assemblies until these are completed
- Sun Safety – All student are required to wear sunhats this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. 11th December will be the last day to order online lunches for the year.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2020
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Tuesday 15/12 at midday
School Terms 2021
Term 1 Tuesday 9th February – Friday 16th April (School Closed – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th & Tuesday 6th April)
Term 2 Monday 3rd May – Friday 9th July (School Closed – Queens Birthday Monday 7th June)
Term 3 Monday 26th July – Friday 1st October
Term 4 Monday 18th October – 16th December (School Closed – Labour Day Monday 25th October)
- Christmas Raffle – Last week the PTA sent home a set of tickets for their upcoming Christmas raffle, please feel free to share them with family and friends there are extra tickets available in the office. Look out for some of the exciting prizes they are sharing on the Facebook page. Thanks again for all your support.
- Volunteers – We are always looking for more volunteers during school time to help with lunches. please email PTA@windyridge.school.nz
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975