Windy Ridge School Newsletter
6th November 2020
Term 4 Week 4
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Te manu e kai ana i te miro, nōna te ngahere; te manu e kai ana i te mātauranga nōna te ao”.
The bird who eats the miro berry is from the forest; the bird who feasts on education is of the world.”
Tēnā koutou katoa,
Colour Fun Run
I’d like to celebrate the amazing Colour Fun Run which was held at School on Tuesday. The enthusiasm and engagement on childrens’ faces as they ran around the school was amazing. Who would have thought that being sprayed with coloured corn flour could be so awesome? The afternoon was also a perfect way to unite the school community, something that Covid-19 has made so difficult of late. Parents came and shared in the fun and enjoyment, which is exactly what we want to see more of at Windy Ridge. A huge thank you to Mrs. Sarah Turner for all of her hard work in organising this event.
Farewell to our student teachers
As I am sure you will be aware, we have had 8 AUT student teachers on practicum this term. They have been working and learning in various classes around the whole school. The children have enjoyed having the students working with them. They have added real value to our tamariki’s learning. We wish the students every success as they continue their studies, and look forward to hearing from them in the future. We are certain that they will make outstanding educators.
Whether to Introduce School Hats
I am considering introducing a requirement for our students to wear either a bucket or wide-brimmed hat when outside . My rationale being to keep everyone sun safe. It concerns me that children who currently wear hats/caps only get limited protection from the harsh ultra violet/sun that we experience in the summer months. I’d be interested in hearing parents opinions. I have created a very short survey and invite parents and whānau to fill it in. https://forms.gle/J4ahbvEKUfeQPM8YA
Have a wonderful weekend everyone,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou
Windy Ridge School – Walking School Bus –Parents and Caregivers are invited to a meeting in support of maintaining and starting Walking School Buses for 2021. This initiative is part of our Travelwise programme and greatly supports our community. The meeting will be held on Monday 9th November at 9am in the school staffroom.
Basketball – Remember to check the draw, the entire draw is available for the rest of the term. https://websites.sportstg.com/
Touch Rugby – Here is the draw for next week https://drawsresults.sportsrunner.net/?org=TNH&sport=KT
Athletics Day – Students are now training for our Athletics day. Children from year 2-6 will participate in a school – wide athletics day on November 16th. More information will become available if you would like to come support the students on the day. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are available to help on the day with one of our events.
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Team Pukeko Zoo Trip – Thursday 12th November
- Athletics Day – Monday 16th November – school grounds
- Team Tui Dance Finals – Tuesday 17th November at 1.30pm in the hall
- Team Falcon BigFoot Top Team Day – Wednesday 25th November – school grounds
- Prize Giving & Year 6 Graduation Assembly – Monday 7th December
- Last day of the year Tuesday 15th December
sKids Summer Holiday Dates
Tuesday 15th December from 1pm to 6pm
Wednesday 16th December to Wednesday 22nd December 7am to 6pm
Monday 11th January 2021 to Friday 5th February 2021 7am to 6pm
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app!
Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below – Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
Skool Loop App
- PhotoLife – All students will have received their PhotoLife order forms from their Whanau teachers. If your child has not brought this form home please contact Carmen in the office for your Photo Access Key. email@example.com Online orders close on Sunday 15th November at midnight for free school delivery, if you place an order after this date you will be required to pay postage.
- Team Falcon EOTC – On Wednesday 25th November the team are participating in a Top Team activity day with BigFoot Adventures. Please complete and return the permission slip to your Whānau teacher Falcon – BIG FOOT Letter 2020
- Team Pukeko Zoo Trip – Team Pukeko (Rooms 5, 6, 7 & 8) will be visiting Auckland Zoo on Thursday 12th November 2020. Please fill in the permission slip we sent home yesterday and return to your Whānau teacher. 2020 Team Pukeko Auckland Zoo Trip Letter and Permission slip
- Term 4 Team Newsletters – Falcon Term 4 Newsletter 2020 Team Pukeko Term 4 Newsletter – 2020
- School Assembly – Due to the closure of the hall for renovations we will not be holding whole school assemblies.
- Sun Safety – All student are required to wear sunhats this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Ezlunch T3 Menu
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2020
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Tuesday 15/12 at midday
School Terms 2021
Term 1 Tuesday 9th February – Friday 16th April (School Closed – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th & Tuesday 6th April)
Term 2 Monday 3rd May – Friday 9th July (School Closed – Queens Birthday Monday 7th June)
Term 3 Monday 26th July – Friday 1st October
Term 4 Monday 18th October – TBC December (School Closed – Labour Day Monday 25th October)
- Volunteers – We are always looking for more volunteers during school time to help with lunches. please email PTA@windyridge.school.nz
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975