Windy Ridge School Newsletter
14th October 2020
Term 4 Week 1
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Te manu e kai ana i te miro, nōna te ngahere; te manu e kai ana i te mātauranga nōna te ao”.
The bird who eats the miro berry is from the forest; the bird who feasts on education is of the world.”
Tēnā koutou katoa,
A warm welcome back to Term 4. I hope that everyone had a good break and enjoyed some quality time with their whānau and loved ones. We are returning to a fun packed term leading up to Christmas and have our fingers crossed for an uninterrupted term to finish the year off. So sit back and lets get learning.
Pink Shirt Day
In Aotearoa, Pink Shirt Day works to create schools, workplaces, communities and whānau where everyone feels safe, valued and respected. Celebrated annually around the globe, Pink Shirt Day began in Canada in 2007 when two students took a stand against homophobic bullying, after a peer was bullied for wearing a pink shirt.
This October, people across Aotearoa will come together to take action against bullying and fundraise to support the kaupapa.
In our School we stand against bullying and insist that our learning environment is safe from discrimination. Our message is that if tamariki are feeling unsafe or threatened, that they should talk to an adult and get ask for help.
NZ Shake Out
Tomorrow (Thursday 15 October 2020) marks the NZ Shakeout which is a national event that teaches us about what to do in the event of an earthquake.
The children will get the opportunity to respond to an earthquake drill, and will be asked to drop, cover and hold. Drills are essential for everyone to be involved in to ensure that we all know what to do to keep ourselves as safe as possible in a real event. Please take a look at the video below to learn more about the Shakeout.
Visiting Trainee Students
During the first 4 weeks of this term you will see that we have visiting student teachers from AUT’s School of Education in our school. We have a mixture of 1st year and 2nd year students and are looking forward to working with them. Alex, Ben, Caitlin, Christina, Nick, Nicole, Michael and Sam will be observing our teachers as well as doing some teaching as part of their practicum placements. We wish them well during their time at Windy Ridge.
Have a wonderful week everyone,
Ka kite anō au i a koutou
At the close of nominations, as the number of valid parent nominations was equal to the number of vacancies required to be filled,
I hereby declare the following duly elected:
Suzanne Boyce/Returning Officer
School Fun Run/Colour Run – Keep those sponsorships coming in. All children who raise more than $10 will receive a prize! Our Colour Run is taking place on November 3rd. This year’s fun run will be a Colour run, so you might like to organise for a white t-shirt for your child to wear on the day to help those colours really stand out!
Rippa Rugby – Our Rippa Tournament is on Thursday October 27th. You MUST register your child as a player at Windy Ridge School. Please follow this link; https://www.sporty.co.
Basketball – Basketball resumed yesterday. How exciting to get back to playing. Remember to check the draw, the entire draw is available for the rest of the term. https://websites.sportstg.com/
Touch Rugby – Registrations are now closed. If you were hoping to sign your child up for a team, please email me and I will see if there are spaces available. email@example.com
Athletics Day – Students are now training for our Athletics day. Children from year 2-6 will participate in a school – wide athletics day on November 16th. More information will become available if you would like to come support the students on the day. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are available to help on the day with one of our events.
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Pink Shirt Day – Friday 16th October
- Team Tui Camp – Wednesday 21st to Friday 23rd October
- Loud Shirt Day – Friday 23rd October
- Labour Day holiday – Monday 26th October
- Teacher Only Days (School closed) – Tuesday 27th & Wednesday 28th October
- Board Meeting – Wednesday 28th October at 6.30pm in the staffroom
- School Fun Run/Colour Run -Tuesday 3rd November
- Team Pukeko Zoo Trip – Thursday 12th November
- Athletics Day – Monday 16th November
- Team Tui Dance Finals – Tuesday 17th November at 1.30pm in the hall
- Prize Giving & Year 6 Graduation Assembly – Monday 7th December
- Last day of the year Tuesday 15th December
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app! Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below – Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
Skool Loop App
- Team Pukeko Zoo Trip – Team Pukeko (Rooms 5, 6, 7 & 8) will be visiting Auckland Zoo on Thursday 12th November 2020. Please fill in the permission slip we sent home yesterday and return to your Whānau teacher. 2020 Team Pukeko Auckland Zoo Trip Letter and Permission slip
- Team Tui Camp – In term 4 from the 21st to 23rd October the year 5 & 6 students will be attending camp at Carey Park. Camp payment, Medical and Detail Form– 2020 Camp Gear List – Camp payment and permission slip – EOTC-HealthProfileandMedicalConsent.docx – Please contact your child’s classroom teacher if you have any questions.
- Term 4 Team Newsletters – Falcon Term 4 Newsletter 2020
- School Assemblies – Assemblies are normally held every second week but due to the senior students being on camp next week Team Pukeko will be sharing this Friday 16th October from 9.45am. Please feel free to join us in the staffroom from 9am for a chat and a coffee/tea with our Principal Jonathan Lambert, preschoolers are welcome.
- School Fun Run/Colour Run – We will be holding a School Fundraiser through Fun Run. The school will be participating in a colour run obstacle course on November 3rd. Fundraising information will be coming out soon. All children who raise over $10 will be eligible for a prize.
- Sun Safety – All student are required to wear sunhats this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Ezlunch T3 Menu
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 2 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2020
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Tuesday 15/12 (School Closed, Labour Day Monday 26th October – Tuesday 27th & Wednesday 28th October Teacher Only Days)
School Terms 2021
Term 1 Tuesday 9th February – Friday 16th April (School Closed – Good Friday 2nd April, Easter Monday 5th & Tuesday 6th April)
Term 2 Monday 3rd May – Friday 9th July (School Closed – Queens Birthday Monday 7th June)
Term 3 Monday 26th July – Friday 1st October
Term 4 Monday 18th October – TBC December (School Closed – Labour Day Monday 25th October)
- Calendar Art Fundraiser – Don’t forget to place your orders by the end of the week, please contact the office if you require your child’s order code. www.kidsartworks.com
- Volunteers – We are always looking for more volunteers during school time to help with lunches. please email PTA@windyridge.school.nz
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975