Windy Ridge School Newsletter
16th September 2020
Term 3 Week 9
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Kia ora, Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu, alaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Shalom, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Te manu e kai ana i te miro, nōna te ngahere; te manu e kai ana i te mātauranga nōna te ao”.
The bird who eats the miro berry is from the forest; the bird who feasts on education is of the world.”
Tēnā koutou katoa,
Te Wiki O Te Reo Māori
This week is Maōri Language week and our tamariki have been celebrating our Te Reo Maōri language in their classes. It has been exciting seeing our learners exchanging greetings and engaging in simple conversational phrases.
It is so important that we maintain and grow our Te Reo in respect of our country’s culture, and we have an important role in schools to encourage our students and families to develop more fluency and respect.
Simple greetings are often used, Kia ora, ate mārie, ahiahi pai, po mārie etc but perhaps we could start to integrate a few extended questions and answers into our usage. Here is a great question and answer that you could start to add to your everyday conversation:
Science Week and Nano Girl Live
To celebrate Science week we are excited to be having Nano Girl visiting our School on Friday. The fun packed/learning packed show will explore and introduce the children to much of the amazing nature of science. As we are still in Level 2.5, we will be seating the children throughout the Hall, with appropriate distancing and of course we will be observing good hygiene; so sit back and enjoy!
I have been really touched by two beautiful hand made cards which have been given to me by Year 6 students this week. The wording of both is warm and welcoming and shares their appreciation of me as their Principal. When you experience little things like this you are assured of the caring and kindness that describes our School culture. Thank you Windy Ridge of being the greatest school on the Shore.
Keep safe and stay well everyone.
Ka kite anō au i a koutou
It’s Still Not Too Late To Have Your Say
As was mentioned in last week’s Newsletter, parents have the opportunity to review the learning support policy for our school. If you would like to participate in the review:
- Visit the website https://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Health & Well-being
Dental service during the Covid-19 Level 2 lockdown – ARDS letter to our community – 1 September 2020 Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB, 144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629, p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160
2021 Enrolment Information – Wairau Intermediate School
Open Week – Due to the lockdown, our Open Days and Evening had to be postponed. We will now hold an Open Week from Monday 21 September through to Friday 25 September between 9.00am and 3.00pm. Parents and caregivers are welcome to come along and have a guided tour through the school at any time during these hours. It will not be necessary to book an appointment time.
Year 6 Transition Day – students from non-contributing primary schools who are interested in attending Wairau Intermediate next year are welcome to come along on Wednesday 28 October to experience a full day in the classrooms. If you would like your child to have this opportunity, please phone the office on 410 7805 and this can be organised.
Touch Rugby Registration is open for Touch Rugby for Term 4. Please log on to Kindo and look under Sports Registrations for more information. Games will be played on Wednesdays at Kaipātiki Park. Game times will be at 4:00, 4:30, 5:00, and 5:30 pm – younger players generally play the earlier games and the older players play the later games. Fees are $40 for the season. There will be 7 games beginning on November 4th. Teams are open to year 1 -6 boys and girls.
School Happenings – Dates for your Diaries
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- BOT Meeting at 6:30 pm on Monday 21st September in the Staff Room
- Team Fantail – Greedy Cat – Tuesday 22nd September
- PhotoLife – Class & students photos – Monday 12th October
- Team Tui Camp 21-23 October
- School Fun Run/Colour Run 3rd November (New Date)
My Kindo Android & iPhone App now available
myKindo app is now available for iPhone and Android phones. If you like the flexibility of ordering anywhere, anytime then go ahead and download the app! Access via the app store, searching “mykindo” or by using the links below – Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/
Skool Loop App
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra.
- Team Fantail Pumphouse Trip – Next Tuesday 22nd September the Fantail Team are visiting The Pumphouse to watch Greedy Cat, please return your permission slip Fantails – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Letter 2020
- Team Tui Camp – In term 4 from the 21st to 23rd October the year 5 & 6 students will be attending camp at Carey Park. We are holding the parent information evening tonight via zoom, an email with your zoom invitation was sent on Monday. On Monday we sent home these important notices for you to read, complete, and return to school. Camp payment, Medical and Detail Form– 2020 Camp Gear List – Camp payment and permission slip – EOTC-HealthProfileandMedicalConsent.docx – Please contact your child’s classroom teacher if you have any questions.
- Team Pukeko Zoo Trip – We have been advised by the Zoo that due to the continued level 2 restrictions this trip has now been postponed until term 4.
- Term 3 Team Newsletters – Team Falcon Term 3 Newsletter – 2020, Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter – 2020 Team Fantail Term 3 Newsletter 2020 Team Tui Term 3 Newsletter 2020
- School Assembly – Our school assemblies are held fortnightly on a Friday morning at 9.45am. Please feel free to join Jonathan Lambert our principal in the Staffroom for a coffee from 9am.
- School Fun Run/Colour Run – We will be holding a School Fundraiser through Fun Run. The school will be participating in a colour run obstacle course on November 3rd. Fundraising information will be coming out soon. All children who raise over $10 will be eligible for a prize.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Ezlunch T3 Menu
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Walking School Bus – We have 3 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2020
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Tuesday 15/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day, 27th & 28th October Teacher Only Days)
- Team Tui Sausage Sizzle – Friday 18th September Team Tui Sausage order form 18_9
- Calendar Art Fundraiser – This term the students have been creating their calendar art pictures. Next week we will be sending home order forms with a unique code for your child, these art works can be purchased in Calendar, Greeting Card, Mouse Pad, Sketch Pad or Diary format. Thanks for your support.
- Yummy Stickers fundraiser – Yummy Sticker Sheet
- Chocolate Fundraiser – Please remember to return your box if you are unable to sell it and we can pass it on to other families who can. This is our Big Fundraiser and we aim to raise between $4,000 and $5,000 to pass on to school for projects.
- Volunteers – We are always looking for more volunteers during school time to help with lunches. please email PTA@windyridge.school.nz
TENNIS SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAMME
When/Where: Week 1:Mon 28th, Tues 29th, Wed 30th September
Week 2: Mon 5th, Tues 6th, Wed 7th October
at Glenfield Tennis Club.
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975