Windy Ridge School Newsletter
27 May 2020
Term 2 Week 7
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Naku te rourou nau te rourou ka ora ai te iwi
With your basket and my basket the people will live”
Kia ora ki te whanau,
We have continued to see beautifully calm, settled behaviour from our learners over this past week. We know this is partly in response to our slow, measured response to welcoming the children back on site, with wellbeing, connection and routines our main focus. We have carefully assessed where the children are in terms of readiness, and we feel that they are ready to begin transitioning back into a little more challenge in terms of learning. Next week we will start our Hub spaces back up again as well as beginning workshops. ESOL and learning support groups will also start back up the following week. We will monitor all of our learners carefully to ensure that they are managing this transition.
While we are still in Level 2 we would ask that you continue to drop off and pick up your children at the school gate. We have been thrilled at the way children have managed this process, particularly the drop off, and they are arriving in class really settled and ready to learn. It has also helped our students practice resilience, independence and learner agency. Thank you for supporting this process. I know that many of our Fantail parents have also begun to drop off and pick up at the school gate as their children have become more confident with coming into school. The children who are doing this are feeling very proud of themselves. We would like to encourage more Fantail parents to do this, particularly the Room 1 and 2 children.
This week we started up our road patrol roster again. Nga mihi to those parents who support us by supervising road patrol. The road patrol is there from 8.30 – 8.55 and from 3.00 – 3.15 to provide safe road crossing for unaccompanied children. If you are picking your child up, you may of course use the pedestrian crossing at any time as per the road rules, but if the patrol is in operation, please remember that you must follow the patrollers’ commands.
Last Friday I sent an email home to Tui parents to let them know about the Kiwi Competitions, which are academic tests for English, Mathematics and Science. These tests are administered digitally and take place in the first three weeks of Term 3. Although we shared the parent letter with you last week, this week we have added the entry onto Kindo. If you are interested in enrolling your Year 5 or 6 child in these competitions, please pop into kindo to pay for your child and return the registration form to school.
Nga mihi nui
Board of Trustees Vacancy: If you are interested in joining our school board, the board are having a meet and greet on Thursday 18th June from 7pm to 8pm in the staffroom. If you would like to know more about how our board works please feel free to approach one of our current board members. Please rvsp your attendance to email@example.com
Community Survey for Communication: We would like to streamline our forms of communication and would appreciate it if you would let us know which methods of communication you prefer to use with the school. Please follow this link to answer a few short questions. https://forms.gle/2r9QYhsjzG91wPq17
Harbour Basketball: We will be crediting those basketball players from semester 1 $70 next week. We will also be accepting enrollments for Basketball for Semester 2 next week. That is due to begin in Term 3.
Primary Netball Dates
All competitions NNH, Westlake Girls & Glenfield sites
5 weeks grading week starting 20/22/25 Jul – 17/19/22 Aug
5 week round robin week starting 24/26/29 Aug – 21/23/26 Sept
Please email Sarah Turner firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the sports teams.
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Board of Trustees Meet & Greet – Thursday 18th June from 7pm to 8pm in the staffroom. Please rvsp your attendance to email@example.com
- Queens Birthday – Monday 2nd June, school closed
- Term 2 ends on Friday 3rd July
Kindo iPhone App
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Register and pay for school sports teams *new for 2020*
- Pay for last minute lunches, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Kiwi Competition: This competition is open to Year 5 & 6 students. Kiwi Competition Letter to Parents
- Assembly Term 2: Due to level 2 restrictions we are not holding school assemblies.
- Team Newsletters: Fantail Term 2 Newsletter 2020
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 3 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2020
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07 (School Closed 1st June Queens Birthday)
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Wednesday 16/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day & 27th October Teacher Only Day)
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975