Windy Ridge School Newsletter
20 May 2020
Term 2 Week 6
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
“Me mahi tahi tatou
mo te oranga o te katoa”
“We must work together for the well-being of all.”
Kia ora ki te whanau,
Well I can honestly say its been an absolutely super week back on site. The children have been wonderful – kind, settled, and very happy to be back. As you know we have been working on getting them back into routines, reconnecting with their teachers and one another and helping them to embed hygiene and safety practices. They have shared lots of stories about life at home during lockdown. For the most part our children seem very calm, and ready for school, and that is a real testament to the quality parenting and learning support you have provided over the last seven weeks. Well done.
Also congratulations on the role you’ve played in the drop off/pick up process we introduced on Monday. It has been gratifying to see how smoothly this has worked. Just as a reminder, please make sure that you don’t hover around the school gate, especially if you are chatting to other parents, as that compromises the social distancing we are trying to achieve out there.
On this note we’d like to reinstate Road Patrol next week, beginning with Monday. We will remind the road patrol monitors of their rostered day tomorrow, and contact you by email if you are a parent supervisor.
Tomorrow we are sharing a digital assembly format with the children in class. We will let you know when we plan to return to onsite assemblies that can be attended by parents.
We had planned a cluster wide Teacher Only day on Tuesday 2nd June. We all feel that this is currently inappropriate timing and so we have postponed this until later in the year. This day will now be school as usual, although it is worth noting that the previous day, Monday 1st June is Queen’s Birthday and thus a statutory holiday. School is closed on this day.
Finally, a big thank you to those parents who provided feedback around our remote learning time. If you have a few spare minutes, now that children are back at school, we would be very grateful to hear your thoughts. https://forms.gle/
Nga mihi nui
Several sports organisers have been in contact with me and are working hard on finalising their health and safety protocols. They are eager to get some sports running and will provide us with some dates as soon as possible. I will share these dates as soon as I receive them. If there are any students now wanting to register for either Netball or Rippa Rugby, please email Sarah Turner email@example.com. There are a few spots depending on your child’s year level. We did not receive interest in hockey, therefore we will not be registering a winter hockey team this year. Please stay tuned for further updates.
Primary Netball Dates
All competitions NNH, Westlake Girls & Glenfield sites
5 weeks grading week starting 20/22/25 Jul – 17/19/22 Aug
5 week round robin week starting 24/26/29 Aug – 21/23/26 Sept
Will not resume Semester 1 games. Once they have calculated the fees for Semester 1 for our school, we will organise credit or reimbursement for our Semester 1 basketball players.
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- Board of Trustees Meeting – Monday 25th May at 6.30pm
- Term 2 ends on Friday 3rd July
Kindo iPhone App
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Register and pay for school sports teams *new for 2020*
- Pay for last minute lunches, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Assembly Term 2:
- Team Newsletters: Fantail Term 2 Newsletter 2020
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 3 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2020
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07 (School Closed 1st June Queens Birthday)
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Wednesday 16/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day & 27th October Teacher Only Day)
Auckland Regional Dental Service I Waitemata DHB
144 Chivalry Road, Glenfield, 0629
p: 0800 TALK TEETH (Option 1) | 09 444 6160 | 021 968 975