Windy Ridge School Newsletter
4th March 2020
Term 1 Week 5
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Hapaitia te ara tika pumau ai te rangatiratanga mo nga uri whakatipu“
“Foster the pathway of knowledge to strength, independence and growth for future generations”
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa,
We are officially coming up to Term one’s halfway point. It’s been great to note how well our learners have settled into their new learning teams. The majority of our learners are taking responsibility for their own learning and behaviour, which has made for a much more settled start than we’ve had in other years. Ka mau te wehi koutou – great work all of you. This idea of taking responsibility for our actions is what we term ‘learner agency’ in school speak. Its an area where we’ve seen significant growth in recent years and is a direct outcome of the teaching and learning approaches that we are using. Over the last year I have felt a definite shift towards learners becoming more engaged in their own learning journeys, more determined to achieve their goals and succeed in areas where they may have had gaps. Learners are beginning to work alongside teachers to get the results they want. Well that has been my observation anyway.
And now we have the proof. We have just analysed last year’s end of year data, in reading, writing and maths, and we are very pleased with the results. In almost every area of the school, we have between 85 and 95% of learners working at or above their expected curriculum area in reading, writing and maths. The only exceptions were one group at 84% in writing and several at 100%. This is a significant improvement over last year’s results. Moving forward, we will continue to support your children to be strong, confident, independent young people.
One little grumble for the week – we are still having issues with driving and parking habits around our front gate. This is really frustrating for us as it compromises our students’ safety. Please, please remember that:
- there is no parent parking in either of the staff carparks.
- you can not in any circumstance park on a corner or in front of a driveway
- the speed limit around the school is 40km
- double parking, u-turns, or inattention can lead to disaster – please take care.
We are reviewing the return of the no parking cones in order to drive this point home (sorry – pun unintended!). My preference is to not have to use them. Challenge my decision with some exemplary driving over the next month.
Naku noa, na
Board of Trustees
Kia ora Windy Ridge School Community
I hope this message finds you well and you are all back into the swing of school life after a restful summer. I wanted to provide you with an update on some of the key focusses for the Board at the moment.
The recruitment of a new principal is well underway, and the commencement of shortlisting and interviewing candidates will take place over the next month or so. As many of you will be aware, the Board was committed to ensuring staff, student and community voice was taken into consideration, and to cover the community element you would have been asked earlier this year to complete a short survey to share your views. On behalf of the Board I would like to thank all of you who responded to this request, this information is incredibly valuable as we work through the appointment process – the number of responses exceeded our expectations.
The other item we wanted to share with you also relates to recruitment. A space has opened up on the Board for a new parent representative, and we will be holding a meet and greet evening in early April to explain the role of the Board and to answer any questions you may have for us about being a Board member. As soon as we have a date locked in we will share this with you.
Finally, we will continue to keep you updated as some of the items above progress. However should you need to contact the Board of Trustees please feel free to email [email protected] .
Chairperson of the Windy Ridge School Board of Trustees
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
- PTA AGM – Tuesday 10th March at 7.30pm in the staffroom
- Jesters Pie Day – Thursday 12th March – orders close at midday on Wednesday
- School Assembly – Friday 13th at 9.45am
- Families in Parks – Friday 27th March 5pm to 7pm
- Board of Trustees Meeting – Tuesday 31st March at 6.30pm
- Term 1 ends on Thursday 9th April
Kindo iPhone App
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Register and pay for school sports teams *new for 2020*
- Pay for last minute lunches, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Netball – We are collecting interest for the 2020 Netball Season. This is open to year 1-6. All games will be held at the Glenfield College Netball courts, game times will be between 9:00 – 12:00 depending on the grade. We will be wearing Windy Ridge School T shirts this year which you can purchase for $15 at the office, and black bottoms. Leggings or shorts will be fine. Fees for the season are $85 per player. As always, we will require coaches/managers for each team. You do not have to run a practice, but should you choose to, I can help with space and equipment for you and your team. Please let me know if you have any questions. Registration is through Kindo and is due by March 21st.
- Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk -Sunday March 15 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park – Join us and lets make a Windy Ridge team. Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event. Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal walkways more beautiful!! 5km and 1km Courses to choose from Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration. We hope to see you there.
- Softball – There is a one day softball festival open to year 3 and 4 students on March 25th at Rosedale Park. Chopper will be coaching and responsible for the students on the day. We will need additional parents to supervise and help with transportation. If your child is interested in participating in this day please register your child on Kindo.
- Shore to Shore –Registrations are now open for the 2020 Shore to Shore event. It is the North Shore’s largest 5 km run. It only costs $10 to enter and a portion of your registration fee is donated to the school for amazing PE gear. Register at: https://harboursport.co.nz/
- Weetbix Tryathlon
- Entries are open for the Hibiscus Coast Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon on March 22nd at Manly Park
- Our school has created a School Group which you can join when you enter from home. Search for Windy Ridge School when prompted. By linking to our school group it will give us the chance to win some cool prizes.
- To enter the TRYathlon visit tryathlon.co.nz
- If you have any school or school group related questions please contact Sarah Turner on [email protected]
- Otherwise, contact the Weet-Bix TRYathlon team directly, email [email protected]
nz or phone 0800 WEETBIX
- Assembly Term 1: Our assemblies are held every fortnight on Friday’s. Week 6 13th March/Team Pukeko, Week 8 27th March/Team Fantail. Please feel free to join us in the staffroom prior to this for a coffee/tea in the staffroom from 9am with our Acting Principal Jenine Maxwell, preschoolers are welcome.
- Team Newsletters: Fantail Term 1 newsletter 2020– Falcon Term 1 newsletter– Team Tui newsletter T1 2020
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day next term. Please make sure they are named.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 3 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04 (School Closed, 6th February – Waitangi Day)
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07 (School Closed 1st, June Queens Birthday & 2nd June Teacher Only Day)
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Wednesday 16/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day & 27th October Teacher Only Day)
- Our wonderful PTA are looking for some new members and helpers. We are the fundraising arm of the school we raise money for a wide variety of things from the New Junior Playground in 2018 to art supplies and subsiding class trips and Senior Camp. We need more helpers so we can run lunchtime Sausage sizzles. This requires just 2 hours or your time usually on a Thursday or Friday depending on the other events in the school. To cook and serve sausages to the kids. We also need some new members to help plan new and repeating events, such as Quiz Night and our end of term Discos. Come and get to know the Windy Ridge kids. They love seeing Mum or Dad helping and it really does make a difference. If every family gave 1 hour a term or even a year it would make a massive difference. Please email any questions or interest to pta[email protected]
- The PTA AGM will be held in the School staffroom Tuesday 10th March at 7.30pm
You are invited to a series of three evening workshops to support parents and caregivers of children with positive and peaceful parenting strategies.
The strategies and topics covered are relevant for parents of young children to parents of young adults.
The workshops focus on mindfulness and communication and covers areas including different stress responses and how to manage difficult behaviour.
This valuable workshop is offered to the wider Glenfield Community at no cost to parents and bookings are essential and prioritised on a first come first served basis.
Held at Glenfield Community Centre in room 2 on Thursday evenings, 7pm until 9pm.
Dates: 19 March, 26 March and 2 April.
All parents and caregivers welcome. For questions or to book and secure your place, please call Paula at Glenfield Early Learning Centre on 444 0818 or email Paula at [email protected]
North Shore Youth Symphonic Wind Band
Highbury Community House
Saturday 7th March from 9am to 12pm
110 Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead
is a local environmental not-for-profit organisation in Birkdale. We run a native plant nursery, facilitate restoration days in the local reserves and organise sustainable living courses and events.
In conjunction with the local community, we’re organising a month-long series of events called EcoFest North. The Festival runs from 21 March – 19 April 2020 and consists of a number of eco-events, many free and kids friendly. To find out more please visit www.kaipatiki.org.nz/ecofest
Rhythmic Gymnastics Open Day! Come along and have a go!
Xtreme Rhythmix is offering a “Have A Go Day” for beginners in rhythmic gymnastics in the Eventfinda Stadium complex on Monday 24th February from 3:30-5:00pm. Come along and learn fun skills with ropes, hoops, balls, clubs and ribbons. See if rhythmic gymnastics is the sport for you!
Beginner classes are available every day at Eventfinda Stadium and on a range of days at our other facilities (Albany, Glamorgan School, Glenfield College and Marist College in Mt Albert). Email [email protected] for more information or just turn up on the 24th of February and join in the fun!
Auckland Multicultural Society Inc
Is holding its annual 22nd Lakeside Multicultural Festival 2020 on Sunday 8th March from 1 pm – 5 pm at the PumpHouse by the lake Pupuke
We have a full afternoon programme with 24 Ethnic Groups performing. It’s FREE so please advertise the attached leaflets through your school Notice Board.
In the event of bad weather it will be held indoors at the PumpHouse.
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 15 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration
Youth Wind Band looking for new enthusiastic players. Grade 2-5 level (approx.) Brass/Wind/Percussion instruments. Rehearsals on Thursdays in Takapuna. www.nsw.co.nz or email [email protected]. Instrumentalists they are particularly interested in: Tuba, French Horn. Euphonium, Saxophone, Bassoon, Double bass. Some instruments can be provided by the band so get in touch.
Kaipatiki Summer Fun Programme is now happening in a local park or reserve near you, check out, the free family fun for all ages…proudly supported
Kaipatiki Local Board and Birkenhead Licensing Trust – building on community development and wellbeing….in our communities.
Information [email protected] 0274834511 4848854
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz