Windy Ridge School Newsletter
26th February 2020
Term 1 Week 4
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
‘Ma mua ka kite a muri, Ma muri ka ora a mua’
‘Those who lead give sight to those who follow, those who follow give life to those you lead’
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa,
Kei te pehea koutou? Still enjoying the weather I hope. I’m on tank water at my house, so I certainly enjoyed the decent drop of rain we got on the weekend. A little more wouldn’t go astray though.
This week the teachers from Teams Tui and Falcon have been planning further activities to support the Tuakana – Teina buddy programme that they’ve implemented in Block 2 on Fridays. Tuakana/teina refers to the relationship between an older (tuakana) person and a younger (teina) person and is specific to teaching and learning in the Māori context. Within the school setting, this can take a variety of forms:
- Peer to peer – teina teaches teina, tuakana teaches tuakana.
- Younger to older – the teina has some skills in an area that the tuakana does not and is able to teach the tuakana.
- Older to younger – the tuakana has the knowledge and content to pass on to the teina.
- Able to less able – the learner may not be as able in an area, and someone more skilled can teach what is required.
This model provides opportunities to practice leadership, collaboration and learner agency alongside our WRS values. Although we encourage tuakana-teina relationships throughout the school, both socially and in sports and learning contexts, the Tui-Falcon programme is utilising the practice in a more formalised way. I know that the students are very excited about the possibilities of learning new skills and sharing old ones. Check out the whakatauki at the top of the page for another important understanding that lies at the foundation of this model.
The teachers throughout the school are helping their learners to identify areas where they want to improve their skill level in areas such as values, learner dispositions, physical, social or curriculum areas. They will help each learner to set their goal, know how to work on it and how to reflect on their progress and celebrate their achievement. We are committed to ensuring that goal setting arises out of each child’s authentic learning and moves within a time frame that is relevant to each individual learner. The teacher’s will begin sharing these goals on Seesaw shortly.
Finally, we opened the library last week and it has been a very popular destination so far. Please remind your child to bring their book home to share with you and even more importantly, to take it back so that they can swap it for a new one. Don’t forget that our library is open from 8.30 – 9.00 for those parents that wish to pop in with their child.
This week’s assembly will be run by Falcon. I look forward to catching up with some of you then, or beforehand in the staffroom for coffee.
Naku noa, na
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
Term 1 ends on Thursday 9th April
Kindo iPhone App
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Register and pay for school sports teams *new for 2020*
- Pay for last minute lunches, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Netball – We are collecting interest for the 2020 Netball Season. This is open to year 1-6. All games will be held at the Glenfield College Netball courts, game times will be between 9:00 – 12:00 depending on the grade. We will be wearing Windy Ridge School T shirts this year which you can purchase for $15 at the office, and black bottoms. Leggings or shorts will be fine. Fees for the season are $85 per player. As always, we will require coaches/managers for each team. You do not have to run a practice, but should you choose to, I can help with space and equipment for you and your team. Please let me know if you have any questions. Registration is through Kindo and is due by March 21st.
- Cricket – There is a one day cricket tournament at 9.15 am to 2.30 pm on March 11th at Onewa Domain. We are able to enter one year 3/4 mixed team, as well as one year 5/6 boys team. Anyone can enter as this tournament is a fun day for children who are keen to have a go. It is a modified 8 a side game. Unfortunately we cannot send a teacher along to the day, so will need parent volunteers to help supervise children and provide transport on the day. There is no cost to attend this day. However, all participants will require a school shirt which can be purchased from the office for $15. You can register on Kindo. Once we have registered interest, we will know if we have enough players and parents for the day to go ahead. Please email Sarah Turner at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk -Sunday March 15 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park – Join us and lets make a Windy Ridge team. Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event. Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal walkways more beautiful!! 5km and 1km Courses to choose from Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration. We hope to see you there.
- Softball – There is a one day softball festival open to year 3 and 4 students on March 25th at Rosedale Park. Chopper will be coaching and responsible for the students on the day. We will need additional parents to supervise and help with transportation. If your child is interested in participating in this day please register your child on Kindo.
- Shore to Shore –Registrations are now open for the 2020 Shore to Shore event. It is the North Shore’s largest 5 km run. It only costs $10 to enter and a portion of your registration fee is donated to the school for amazing PE gear. Register at: https://harboursport.co.nz/
- Weetbix Tryathlon
- Entries are open for the Hibiscus Coast Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon on March 22nd at Manly Park
- Our school has created a School Group which you can join when you enter from home. Search for Windy Ridge School when prompted. By linking to our school group it will give us the chance to win some cool prizes.
- To enter the TRYathlon visit tryathlon.co.nz
- If you have any school or school group related questions please contact Sarah Turner on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Otherwise, contact the Weet-Bix TRYathlon team directly, email email@example.com.
nz or phone 0800 WEETBIX
- Assembly Term 1: Our assemblies are held every fortnight on Friday’s. Week 4, 28th February/ Team Falcon, Week 6 13th March/Team Pukeko, Week 8 27th March/Team Fantail. Please feel free to join us in the staffroom prior to this for a coffee/tea in the staffroom from 9am with our Acting Principal Jenine Maxwell, preschoolers are welcome.
- Team Newsletters: Fantail Term 1 newsletter 2020– Falcon Term 1 newsletter– Team Tui newsletter T1 2020
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day next term. Please make sure they are named.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 3 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04 (School Closed, 6th February – Waitangi Day)
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07 (School Closed 1st, June Queens Birthday & 2nd June Teacher Only Day)
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Wednesday 16/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day & 27th October Teacher Only Day)
- Our wonderful PTA are looking for some new members and helpers. We are the fundraising arm of the school we raise money for a wide variety of things from the New Junior Playground in 2018 to art supplies and subsiding class trips and Senior Camp. We need more helpers so we can run lunchtime Sausage sizzles. This requires just 2 hours or your time usually on a Thursday or Friday depending on the other events in the school. To cook and serve sausages to the kids. We also need some new members to help plan new and repeating events, such as Quiz Night and our end of term Discos. Come and get to know the Windy Ridge kids. They love seeing Mum or Dad helping and it really does make a difference. If every family gave 1 hour a term or even a year it would make a massive difference. Please email any questions or interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The PTA AGM will be held in the School staffroom Tuesday 10th March at 7.30pm
Highbury Community House
Saturday 7th March from 9am to 12pm
110 Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead
is a local environmental not-for-profit organisation in Birkdale. We run a native plant nursery, facilitate restoration days in the local reserves and organise sustainable living courses and events.
In conjunction with the local community, we’re organising a month-long series of events called EcoFest North. The Festival runs from 21 March – 19 April 2020 and consists of a number of eco-events, many free and kids friendly. To find out more please visit www.kaipatiki.org.nz/ecofest
Rhythmic Gymnastics Open Day! Come along and have a go!
Xtreme Rhythmix is offering a “Have A Go Day” for beginners in rhythmic gymnastics in the Eventfinda Stadium complex on Monday 24th February from 3:30-5:00pm. Come along and learn fun skills with ropes, hoops, balls, clubs and ribbons. See if rhythmic gymnastics is the sport for you!
Beginner classes are available every day at Eventfinda Stadium and on a range of days at our other facilities (Albany, Glamorgan School, Glenfield College and Marist College in Mt Albert). Email email@example.com for more information or just turn up on the 24th of February and join in the fun!
Auckland Multicultural Society Inc
Is holding its annual 22nd Lakeside Multicultural Festival 2020 on Sunday 8th March from 1 pm – 5 pm at the PumpHouse by the lake Pupuke
We have a full afternoon programme with 24 Ethnic Groups performing. It’s FREE so please advertise the attached leaflets through your school Notice Board.
In the event of bad weather it will be held indoors at the PumpHouse.
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 15 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration
Youth Wind Band looking for new enthusiastic players. Grade 2-5 level (approx.) Brass/Wind/Percussion instruments. Rehearsals on Thursdays in Takapuna. www.nsw.co.nz or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Instrumentalists they are particularly interested in: Tuba, French Horn. Euphonium, Saxophone, Bassoon, Double bass. Some instruments can be provided by the band so get in touch.
Kaipatiki Summer Fun Programme is now happening in a local park or reserve near you, check out, the free family fun for all ages…proudly supported
Kaipatiki Local Board and Birkenhead Licensing Trust – building on community development and wellbeing….in our communities.
Information Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz 0274834511 4848854
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz