Windy Ridge School Newsletter
12th February 2020
Term 1 Week 2
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
Ahiahi Marie or Good afternoon. This year, in line with our curriculum obligations, we are focusing on thinking more strategically about what and how we are teaching our learners Te Reo. Many of our teachers have already been doing a great job in this area, but this year we aim to provide you with feedback on how your child is going in regards to learning in this area. We will be assessing the learners in our classes and adding a comment section to the end of year report about Te Reo learning. This is an exciting development for us.
As I mentioned last week, we were fortunate enough to listen to some great speakers at our Kaipatiki Kahui Ako Conference Day. Our first keynote speaker was Mark Osborne. Mark has been a teacher, school leader and consultant for more than 20 years. He works nationally and internationally on future-focused education, innovative learning environments and educational leadership, helping schools build great places to learn and the capability to make the most of those spaces. He challenged us to consider why education needed to change, by presenting us with the following observations:
- It is no longer possible to predict exactly what knowledge people will need to know in the future: it is changing all the time, and new knowledge is being created at ever-increasing speeds.
- Information is freely available like air or water. Knowledge can now be gained everywhere. Increasingly education is about skills, disciplines, and competencies as well as knowledge (Wagner, 2014).
- Increasingly what the world cares about is not what you know but what you can do with what you know. Simply getting the right answer is no longer enough (Wagner, 2014).
- Within a couple of decades, the tools used in most trades and for such basic acts as communicating, gathering information and keeping records have been replaced by digital ones. For the first time, today’s parents and teachers have little, if any, experience with the tools that children are going to use every day in their adult lives. OECD (2015)
For schools, we need to think about providing contexts and environments where we can give our learners opportunities to practice learner dispositions and key competencies. These situations will invariably need to be ones where students have enough freedom to practice these skills, maybe get them wrong, and keep trying until they improve.
Come along next Tuesday to meet your child’s teachers and learn about what we are doing at Windy Ridge School to provide a future focused education. Fantail’s presentation starts at 5.00 and we will move through the school every half hour after that. We look forward to seeing you all then.
Please check the school calendar for term dates and information and on our website and the Skool Loop. Here are a few important dates for you:
Meet the Team – Tuesday 18th February from 5.00
- Team Fantail: 5.00
- Team Pukeko: 5.30
- Team Falcon: 6.00
- Team Tui: 6.30
Kindo iPhone App
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Register and pay for school sports teams *new for 2020*
- Pay for last minute lunches, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Shore to Shore –Registrations are now open for the 2020 Shore to Shore event. It is the North Shore’s largest 5 km run. It only costs $10 to enter and a portion of your registration fee is donated to the school for amazing PE gear. Register at: https://harboursport.co.nz/
- Weetbix Tryathlon
- Entries are open for the Hibiscus Coast Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon on March 22nd at Manly Park
- Our school has created a School Group which you can join when you enter from home. Search for Windy Ridge School when prompted. By linking to our school group it will give us the chance to win some cool prizes.
- To enter the TRYathlon visit tryathlon.co.nz
- If you have any school or school group related questions please contact Sarah Turner on email@example.com
- Otherwise, contact the Weet-Bix TRYathlon team directly, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
nz or phone 0800 WEETBIX
- Basketball Competitions 2020 – We are collecting interest for basketball teams for semester one for 2020. The first game will be on Tuesday March 3rd. The venue is at the North Shore Event Centre on Tuesdays. There are teams for years 2-6. Year 2-3 games will be between 3:30-5:00 pm. Year 4 games between 5:00-6:30. Year 5-6 games between 4:00-8:00 pm. Please register and pay directly on Kindo by the 19th February. www.mykindo.co.nz Please contact the office if you need assistance registering. BasketBall notice
- Touch Rugby Competitions 2020 – Good luck to all teams for tonight’s first game. Thank you to all the parents for volunteering your time to help manage and coach. For any children who have missed out this term, there will be another Touch Rugby module in Term 4.
- Assembly Term 1: Our assemblies are held every fortnight on Friday’s. This Friday 14th February Team Tui will be sharing at our assembly. Week 4, 28th February/ Team Falcon, Week 6 13th March/Team Pukeko, Week 8 27th March/Team Fantail. Please feel free to join us in the staffroom prior to this for a coffee/tea in the staffroom from 9am with our Acting Principal Jenine Maxwell, preschoolers are welcome.
- Team Newsletters: Fantail Term 1 newsletter 2020
- Scholastic Book Club – Please return all book orders to the office by this Friday 14th.
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day next term. Please make sure they are named.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 3 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04 (School Closed, 6th February – Waitangi Day)
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07 (School Closed 1st, June Queens Birthday & 2nd June Teacher Only Day)
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Wednesday 16/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day & 27th October Teacher Only Day)
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 15 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration
Youth Wind Band looking for new enthusiastic players. Grade 2-5 level (approx.) Brass/Wind/Percussion instruments. Rehearsals on Thursdays in Takapuna. www.nsw.co.nz or email email@example.com. Instrumentalists they are particularly interested in: Tuba, French Horn. Euphonium, Saxophone, Bassoon, Double bass. Some instruments can be provided by the band so get in touch.
Kaipatiki Summer Fun Programme is now happening in a local park or reserve near you, check out, the free family fun for all ages…proudly supported
Kaipatiki Local Board and Birkenhead Licensing Trust – building on community development and wellbeing….in our communities.
Information Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz 0274834511 4848854
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz