Windy Ridge School Newsletter
5th February 2020
Term 1 Week 1
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
School is closed tomorrow 6th February Waitangi Day. We will see you all on Friday 7th.
He mihi māhana ki ā koutou – a very warm welcome back to our whanau. We hope you’ve had a wonderful summer break and enjoyed the amazing weather we’ve experienced. The endless hot sunny days have transported me back to the Januarys of my childhood (although I wouldn’t like to say how long ago that was!) It has been great to catch up with those of you that I’ve seen already and I look forward to touching base with the rest of you over the next few weeks.
Welcome also to our new families. It was awesome to meet many of you at our powhiri on Monday. We hope we’ve made you feel at home and a part of our place.
It has been a strange start to the school year, with the concerns that the spread of the Novel Coronavirus has had on us all. Although the potential impact of the virus is very worrying, we feel confident that we are following recommendations and that our families are adhering to conditions laid out by the Ministry. We thank all of our families for their patience, composure and trust.
We will endeavour to keep you up to date on all of our goings on over the year. We use a range of different modes to communicate with our whanau including the newsletter, Facebook, the school website, calendar, skool loop, email and seesaw. Please make sure you check these communication channels regularly to keep yourself in the loop.
With that in mind we’d like to invite you all along to the meet your child’s teaching team on Tuesday 18th February from 5.00. We will run the presentations consecutively so that you can attend different ones as needed.
- Team Fantail: 5.00
- Team Pukeko: 5.30
- Team Falcon: 6.00
- Team Tui: 6.30
Please come along and find out details about how each team runs, what the expectations are, how you can support your child’s learning and anything else you may wish to know.
As I mentioned earlier, it is very hot at the moment. Please remember to send your child along with a named hat and sunblock and plenty to drink. No singlet tops or uncovered shoulders please.
Over the next few weeks I’d love to share with you some of the learnings we picked up at our annual Kaipatiki Kahui Ako Conference Day. This was a brilliantly organised and well attended day of workshops and keynote speakers. I’m looking forward to unpacking some of the gems we picked up on the day.
Finally, I’d just like to pass on a personal note of appreciation to the many parents who have shared quiet messages of good luck as I’ve stepped into the role of Acting Principal this term. There are very big shoes to fill and broad shoulders to match. I can only promise to do my best to lead the way forward.
- Weetbix Tryathlon
- Entries are open for the Hibiscus Coast Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon on March 22nd at Manly Park
- Our school has created a School Group which you can join when you enter from home. Search for Windy Ridge School when prompted. By linking to our school group it will give us the chance to win some cool prizes.
- To enter the TRYathlon visit tryathlon.co.nz
- If you have any school or school group related questions please contact Sarah Turner on [email protected]
- Otherwise, contact the Weet-Bix TRYathlon team directly, email [email protected]
nz or phone 0800 WEETBIX
- Touch Rugby Competitions 2020 – The organisers have informed us that they will not be finalising the draw until Monday. The link to the draw can be found athttp://www.touchnorthharbour.
co.nz/ and should be available on Monday. The first game is on February 12th. Good luck to our Windy Ridge touch teams.
- Assembly Term 1: Our assemblies are held every fortnight on Friday’s. Next week 14th February Team Tui will be sharing at our assembly. Week 4, 28th February/ Team Falcon, Week 6 13th March/Team Pukeko, Week 8 27th March/Team
- Team Newsletters: Fantail Term 1 newsletter 2020
- Lost Property – All items of clothing should be named, please remember to check your child’s classroom and our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items.
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04 (School Closed, 6th February – Waitangi Day)
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07 (School Closed 1st, June Queens Birthday & 2nd June Teacher Only Day)
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – Wednesday 16/12 (School Closed, 26th October – Labour Day)
Kaipatiki Summer Fun Programme is now happening in a local park or reserve near you, check out, the free family fun for all ages…proudly supported
Kaipatiki Local Board and Birkenhead Licensing Trust – building on community development and wellbeing….in our communities.
Information [email protected] 0274834511 4848854
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz