Windy Ridge School Newsletter
27 November 2019
Term 4 Week 7
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
Hello from Wellington
I write this letter sitting in Wellington airport waiting for a flight home after a long but interesting meeting at the Ministry of Education offices.
This year I have been part of a sector reference group that meets in Wellington every 4-6 weeks to discuss options for replacing the Decile funding model for schools. This group has recently been looking more broadly at the true cost of education, and what can reasonably be expected from the Government in terms of funding per pupil. We all know that as with every social service, there is no maximum limit to what could be spent, but in a country the size of NZ we have a smaller tax take than larger countries and so need to make hard decisions about where that tax dollar will go. Obviously we have been arguing pretty hard for education to receive more.
There will be a lot of discussion in the next 6-12 months about the proposed changes to education based on the Minister’s recommendations of the Education Review. Everything from property, centralised funding, review of schools, learning support and staffing allowances will be up for discussion. I strongly urge you to engage with these conversations as the outcomes and decision will impact our country for many years to come.
Helpers Morning Tea – Tuesday 3rd December at 10.30am in the Staffroom
Next Tuesday morning we would like to invite the many wonderful people in our community who have provided extra support in terms of their time or expertise, to join us for a special ‘thank you’ morning tea. We endeavour to offer as many opportunities for our children as we can, and often this required extra helpers. If you have been one of those helpers, please come and join us – sports coaches and managers, reading helpers, PTA volunteers, road patrol helpers, classroom helpers….. So many people helping in so many different ways.
Congratulations to the Kapa Haka group who performed at the Onepoto Festival on Friday, and to the committed adults who helped to get them there; Mrs Walker, Taine and Lyric. As the events were running quite late, there were a few challenges waiting for our turn to perform, but our students were outstanding – both in performance and behaviour. A huge thanks to the many whanau that joined us there on the day to support.
Please remember to return all uniforms to the office once your child has completed their sport.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office or complete the attached form. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office. Kickstart Breakfast Club Parent Volunteers
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Pay for last minute lunches, sports subs, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- PhotoLife – Order forms were sent home with the children this week, please contact the office if you have not received yours. Online ordering closes on Sunday 8th December to allow delivery before school closes.
- Fantails Stay & Play – Thursday 28th November Team Fantail are inviting their parents to visit the Fantail Team in the afternoon from 2pm. 2019 T4 Fantail Stay and Play
- Team Tui EOTC: Thursday 5th and Friday 6th December Birkenhead Leisure Centre EOTC 2019
- Assembly Term 4: Our assemblies are held every 2nd week of the term, the assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this parents are welcome to come and have a coffee and chat in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson. Team Falcon – Week 8 – 6th December. Our final assembly for the year will be held on Monday 9th December starting at 11am, this assembly will be our Prizegiving and Year 6 Graduation ceremony.
- Team T4 Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 4 newsletter 2019, Team Pukeko Term 4 Newsletter, Falcon Term 4 Newsletter, Team Tui Newsletter T4 2019
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day next term. Please make sure they are named.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Ezlunch Term 4 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/ We will be closed from the 20th of December at 6pm and re opening on the 13th of January at 7 am for our summer holiday programme.
School Terms 2019
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12 (midday)
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – TBC
- Christmas Raffle – This week the PTA sent home a pack of 5 $2 tickets to the eldest child in each family, they would appreciate your help in selling these tickets. There are 10 prizes to be won including gift baskets and vouchers. Please fill in your details and return all money and tickets to the office by Friday 13th December. If you prefer not to sell these tickets please return them to school so another family can sell them.
Homestay Required 2020Glenfield Intermediate School requires a homestay for our new Mandarin Teacher. He will arrive in February and leave in December 2020.Payment of $250 per weekPlease contact Leanne Somerville Smith at email@example.com if you are interested
Kaipatiki Summer Fun Programme is now happening in a local park or reserve near you, check out, the free family fun for all ages…proudly supported
Kaipatiki Local Board and Birkenhead Licensing Trust – building on community development and wellbeing….in our communities.
Information Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz 0274834511 4848854
Barfoot & Thompson Netball Centre, Northcote Road, Auckland
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz