Windy Ridge School Newsletter
20 November 2019
Term 4 Week 6
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
Congratulations to all our students for participating so enthusiastically in the athletics events over the last few days. Thanks to Mrs Turner for her great planning and we really appreciated the support of parents in running the various events. Certificates will be awarded in the next week or so, depending on how fast Mrs Turner can write! Children who have qualified for the cluster athletics will bring home notices tomorrow. The cluster athletics is planned for Tuesday next week. More information to come.
As we head towards the end of the year staff are finalising their plans for life and work. We are currently working on appointing some new staff and we sadly are farewelling a few of our friends. Katie Ford will be leaving us at the end of this year after three years, as she returns to Taranaki to be closer to family. She has made a significant impact on our school and we are very proud of her achievements. We are sad to see her go but wish her every happiness in her journey. Nick Upton is taking a terms leave to travel overseas next year but will be returning in term 2 to start up a new entrants class in the Fantail team. It is an exciting adventure for Nick and we are looking forward to seeing the travel photos when he returns to the school.
New happenings around WRS
Hopefully you have seen the new road markings on Seaview Rd at our pedestrian crossing. These will make a big difference, drawing greater awareness from drivers about the crossing. We are hoping for similar markings on Valley View Rd also, and a raised crossing outside the school has been requested also. These may be included in plans for 2020.
Our second big happening this week is the start of construction of the sunshade over the junior sandpit. There has been much excitement form our Fantails who have been watching the progress. We hope to have this finished in a week or so. We are very thankful for the funding support of the Board and the PTA in getting this project completed.
Thanks to our working bee helpers and a sterling effort from Thang and Lew, the back entrance to the school is looking much better. This has been cleaned out and we can now look at how we can supplement the planting to create a better entrance.
The final project is the replacement of the old basketball hoops behind Falcon team with brand new poles and hoops provided by Harbour Basketball.
We are continuing to see cases of this in school. We would ask that if your child vomits and is unwell please keep them at home for at least 48 hours after the last episode of diarrhoea or vomiting. We are taking precautions in the classrooms to help limit the spread. Please contact your doctor if you have any concerns. For more information see the below link to the Ministry of Health guidelines https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/diseases-and-illnesses/norovirus-vomiting-and-diarrhoea-bugs
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office or complete the attached form. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office. Kickstart Breakfast Club Parent Volunteers
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Pay for last minute lunches, sports subs, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Scholastic Book Club – Friday is the last day to order from the book club for this year, please order online through their website https://mybookclub.scholastic.co.nz/. There is a gift option available which you can select and we will contact you once they arrive.
- Fantails Stay & Play – Thursday 28th November Team Fantail are inviting their parents to visit the Fantail Team in the afternoon from 2pm. 2019 T4 Fantail Stay and Play
- Team Tui EOTC: Thursday 5th and Friday 6th December Birkenhead Leisure Centre EOTC 2019
- Assembly Term 4: Our assemblies are held every 2nd week of the term, the assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this parents are welcome to come and have a coffee and chat in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson. This week Team Fantail are presenting at our assembly, Friday 8th November, Team Tui – Week 6 – Friday 22nd November, Team Falcon – Week 8 – 6th December. Our final assembly for the year will be held on Monday 9th December starting at 11am, this assembly will be our Prizegiving and Year 6 Graduation ceremony.
- Team T4 Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 4 newsletter 2019, Team Pukeko Term 4 Newsletter, Falcon Term 4 Newsletter, Team Tui Newsletter T4 2019
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day next term. Please make sure they are named.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Ezlunch Term 4 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/ We will be closed from the 20th of December at 6pm and re opening on the 13th of January at 7 am for our summer holiday programme.
School Terms 2019
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12 (midday)
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – TBC
- Christmas Raffle – This week the PTA sent home a pack of 5 $2 tickets to the eldest child in each family, they would appreciate your help in selling these tickets. There are 10 prizes to be won including gift baskets and vouchers. Please fill in your details and return all money and tickets to the office by Friday 13th December. If you prefer not to sell these tickets please return them to school so another family can sell them.
Barfoot & Thompson Netball Centre, Northcote Road, Auckland
We are hosting a free water safety day at St Marys Bay on Saturday 23rd November from 2-6pm.
We have free kayaking, supping and sailing and lots of Aquatic Based activities and prizes.
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz