Windy Ridge School Newsletter
6 November 2019
Term 4 Week 4
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
We have had a great start to our term with lots of activities and events, as well as some great learning in teams. Teachers are in the process of completing the end of year reports and we are celebrating the progress and improvements we are seeing across the school.
Better pay for our Support Staff – All of our support staff work extremely hard and often well beyond their job descriptions. They are important members of our team and we support them in the NZEI pay equity claim to the Government. Schools have run on goodwill for far too long and we need to recognise the expertise and commitment of our support staff in order to show them they are valued. If you would like to show your support also you can find out more information at this webpage.
Art Mural Unveiling – At the start of the term all children completed a small art task to contribute to a larger team mural, and these will be presented to the school on Friday of this week. We are meeting at 9.30am (before assembly) to celebrate the work and thank Paris and Sabina for their help in getting the murals planned and completed. You are most welcome to join us for this.
Mairangi Bay School visit – We are pleased to continue our friendship with Mairangi Bay school by hosting them here on Friday as our Kapa Haka groups run through their performances for each other.
Travelwise Award – Yesterday the Travelwise Team attended the Travelwise Award Celebration at the Spark Arena Events Centre in the city. They travelled to the city and back on the public bus and walked to the event to show sustainable practices which we encourage at Windy Ridge. They participated in various activities and had a fantastic day. Due to our Travel Wise Team and our school community effort of encouraging our children to walk, bike or scooter to school Windy Ridge received a Silver certificate award. We were really pleased with our award and decided that next year we are going for Gold!!
Next week we will be running a Scooter Skills training day with our Travelwise Facilitator (Matt) to improve skills and encourage children to use and enjoy their scooters safely. More information will come home on this next week.
Dancesport Competition – Yesterday Mrs Fegan took a group of senior students to the Interschool competition at the Events Centre. Our team represented us extremely well, with many making finals and one student receiving a dance lessons scholarship. Thank you to the parents who assisted with transport and stayed to cheer on our dancers.
Working Bee – Thanks to everyone who helped out on Saturday, and also to our arborists from Tree King for donating their time and machinery – without this we would still be digging the holes. We would appreciate your help keeping an eye on the trees outside school hours. Thanks to the PTA for their donation to make this possible.
Scholastic Christmas Book Fair – Friday 15th November to Wednesday 20th November – Open from 8.30am to 9.15am and 2.45pm to 3.30pm everyday.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office or complete the attached form. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office. Kickstart Breakfast Club Parent Volunteers
Now you have an even easier way to order and pay, when and where it suits you on the myKindo iPhone App.
- To get started, just search ‘myKindo’ on the Apple App Store
- Download, sign in and set up a PIN (you can even use TouchID or FaceID)
- Pay for last minute lunches, sports subs, trip fees, fundraising products or anything school-related, right from your mobile device
- Contact the Helpdesk Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm via email or telephone 0508 454 636 if you need assistance.
- Athletics Days – Here is the athletics schedule for the day. Athletics Days 2019 Please remember event times are subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances. We would love to have parents come along and help us to marshall events. If you are available please email Sarah [email protected] to let her know. Thank you in advance. We hope to have another fun and successful school wide sports day.
- Fantails Stay & Play – Thursday 28th November Team Fantail are inviting their parents to visit the Fantail Team in the afternoon from 2pm. 2019 T4 Fantail Stay and Play
- Team Tui EOTC: Thursday 5th and Friday 6th December Birkenhead Leisure Centre EOTC 2019
- Assembly Term 4: Our assemblies are held every 2nd week of the term, the assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this parents are welcome to come and have a coffee and chat in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson. This week Team Fantail are presenting at our assembly, Friday 8th November, Team Tui – Week 6 – Friday 22nd November, Team Falcon – Week 8 – 6th December. Our final assembly for the year will be held on Monday 9th December starting at 11am, this assembly will be our Prizegiving and Year 6 Graduation ceremony.
- Team T4 Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 4 newsletter 2019, Team Pukeko Term 4 Newsletter, Falcon Term 4 Newsletter, Team Tui Newsletter T4 2019
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that as we head into summer (hopefully) children will need sunhats at school every day next term. Please make sure they are named.
- Spare Clothing – We recommend the students always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Ezlunch Term 4 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12 (midday)
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – TBC
- Disco – Friday 15th November from 6pm to 7.30pm. The theme for the next disco is – When I grow up I want to be….. Disco form When I grow up
M Sports are coming back to hold fun Football Kidz clinics at the school with our new inflatable pitch. Girls and boys from years 0-6 are welcome to participate. They’ll play fun games, learn exciting new skill techniques, play small matches and make new friends all under the guidance of our great team of qualified coaches.
When: 5 weekly sessions starting Thursday 14th Nov – Time: 3.10 – 3.55pm
Where: School Field – Cost: $59 per child, $29.50 per extra sibling
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz