Windy Ridge School Newsletter
11 September 2019
Term 3 Week 8
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
TRAFFIC – AGAIN You must not park on yellow dotted lines. This includes the corner of Tamahere and Seaview. We only have TWO short term car parks there, so if you are car #3 you are in the wrong place. And AGAIN – there is NO Parent parking available in the school car parks – you are creating a hazard by driving across the footpath while the children are trying to walk safely.
Our job is to provide a safe crossing for our children and driver behaviour is making this difficult to do. We will be requesting the Council and the Police to patrol the area outside of our school to ensure that people are compliant with the traffic rules. If you are asked to move please do so – my concern is for the safety of our students over your need to park close to the school.
For families who have other people drop off or collect their children, please ensure they understand these rules also.
Sports teams, class trips and events We work really hard to provide a range of activities and groups that will capture the broad interests of our students. I know this is appreciated by our families as the feedback we get is very positive about these opportunities. The challenge we always have is getting enough support in place for everyone to be safe and enjoy themselves. As we move into the next round of sports competitions, we need to remind everyone that a team cannot be registered without an adult committing to coach and manage the team. We need parents to step up to support these teams as our teachers have other work commitments both during and after the school day. If you want your child to play in a school sports team, can you please consider how you might be able to support the team or the adults who offer to coach it. We currently have five touch rugby teams and only two families volunteering for coaching or managing. Please make contact with the school if your child is registered and you can find a way to assist.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office or complete the attached form. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office. Kickstart Breakfast Club Parent Volunteers
- Softball Tournament – Monday September 16th, Chopper is taking our Softball players from year 5/6 to a tournament in Rosedale. Children will need their school shirt, a hat, and plenty of food and water for the day.
- Rippa Rugby – Tomorrow is our last Rippa Tournament day. Please remember to send your child with their school shirt, a change of clothes, a mouth guard and plenty of food and water. With a World Cup Rugby theme this time around, Windy Ridge is representing Tonga. Think of face paint, hats, flags etc that your child can wear to represent Tonga.
- Team Fantail Trip – In our final week of this term the Fantail’s will be visiting the PumpHouse Theatre to see the Little Yellow Digger production. – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Letter
- Team Pukeko Trip – In our final week of this term the Pukeko’s will also be visiting the PumpHouse Theatre to see the Little Yellow Digger production. Rooms 5 & 6 are visiting on Monday 23rd September and Rooms 7 & 8 on Friday 27th September. Room 5 & 6 – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Permission Letter – Rooms 7 & 8 – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Letter
- Nature Play Programme – Room 14 are participating next Tuesday. Please make sure your child has warm clothes and a fitted raincoat as well as gumboots or trainers. A change of clothes would also be useful. We will pop in and out of doors as the weather permits.
- Term 3 Team Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 3 Newsletter, Team Falcon Term 3 Newsletter, Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter
- Assembly Term 3: Our school assemblies are held every second Friday at 9.45am. This week Team Tui are presenting at our assembly. Week 10 – 27th September – All Teams, Inquiry Progess/Wonderings. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson.
- Spare Clothing – With all of this wet weather the children can easily get wet and muddy, we recommend they always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Ezlunch Term 3 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12 (midday)
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – TBC
- Calendar Art – the students are busy creating their art works which will soon be available to order online as calendars $15, greeting cards $12.50, mouse pads $14, diaries $15 and sketch pads $13. Samples of these can be viewed in the office, order forms will be coming home in week 9.
- Trivia Night – Adults Only Friday 20th September Quiz night table booking
- Yummy Fruit – Support the school by collecting the stickers from Yummy fruit and attaching them to the sheets sent home last week. Please return these sheets at the end of week 9 the 21st September. The school will receive a share of free sports equipment donated by the company. https://www.yummyfruit.co.nz/schools/ Yummy Sticker Collection Sheet
- Entertainment Books – Order your book now – Orders
Art in the Holidays (for ages 7 – 12 yrs.)
With step-by-step instruction children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way. Fun and focused.
Venue: Beach Haven Community House, Wednesday 9th October,
Highbury House Tuesday 1st October 10am – 3.00pm, $55
BOOKINGS: firstname.lastname@example.org, ph 0211327033 or 0210606641
Good news! We still have a couple of spaces in our Marrzipan Class on Thursdays in the Hall! This is a great opportunity for your child to come and give it a go! Marrzipan is a New Zealand renowned self-confidence programme aimed at bringing out the absolute best in students. This term we are working on a play called “Monster Ball” and we’ll be performing it at the end of term! If you would like your child to come along for a non-obligatory Trial Lesson and experience Marrzipan first, please send an email to email@example.com or call us on 0275217352. See you there!
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz