Windy Ridge School Newsletter
4 September 2019
Term 3 Week 7
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Nga mihi nui kia koutou katoa
Having our Team Kiwi students onsite is one of the ways we practice being an inclusive school. It is very easy to foster and grow a caring community when everyone looks, acts or thinks like ourselves. The challenge comes when we are asked to make modifications or change our practices to accommodate those who are different from ourselves, or cause disruption to our plans. Some of the differences are obvious and easier to understand because they are visible, but we have a number of students whose differences are not visible but who also deserve to be treated with kindness as they learn to manage their difference or disability. I have always been impressed with the way our WRS students accept others, offer to support someone when they are upset or struggling, or forgive others when mistakes are made. Inclusive practice is (and should be) a requirement for all schools, and it is our responsibility as both a school and a community is to teach and foster the values of empathy, understanding, respect and acceptance. Thank you for the ways in which you talk about accepting difference with your families, and support our goal of being a caring and inclusive school.
Thanks from the Student Council – Many thanks to all the families that donated cat food to the Gutter Kitties. We are still accepting donations at the office, and will be handing over the boxes next week.
Te Wiki O Te Reo Maori – Maori Language Week Next week is our national Maori Language Week across the country. It is an opportunity to try out the little bits of language that we do know (words and phrases) and find some new ones to add to our vocab. There are some excellent websites and apps available to support families wanting to learn more. Here are some of my favourites:
KUPU – an interactive mobile app powered by Google that offers users instant Māori translations of the objects around them. Users take a picture and Kupu uses image recognition to identify what the object is, and provide a written and spoken Te Reo Māori alternative. The app is available free on Google Play and the App store.
Aki (which means to encourage) is a free Māori language vocabulary and phrase-learning app for iPhones and iPads, that involves participants in an interactive game. Its aim is to develop Māori language skills, particularly in young people.
Tipu Te Reo Māori This app asks questions so users can check their vocabulary, and offers answers if you need it. It guides users through Māori grammar, starting with basic nouns.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office or complete the attached form. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office. Kickstart Breakfast Club Parent Volunteers
- Team Fantail Trip – In our final week of this term the Fantail’s will be visiting the PumpHouse Theatre to see the Little Yellow Digger production. This notice was sent home with the students yesterday. Fantails – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Letter
- Team Pukeko Trip – In our final week of this term the Pukeko’s will also be visiting the PumpHouse Theatre to see the Little Yellow Digger production. Rooms 5 & 6 are visiting on Monday 23rd September and Rooms 7 & 8 on Friday 27th September. These notices were sent home with the students yesterday. Room 5 & 6 – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Permission Letter – Rooms 7 & 8 – PumpHouse Theatre Trip Letter
- Touch Rugby – Touch season is happening in Term 4 at Kaipatiki Park. We are now registering teams. Please get those Touch registrations handed back to the office this week please. Touch Team Registration Form
- Nature Play Programme – Next Tuesday Room 13 are taking part in a whole day of outdoor nature play with Jenine Maxwell. Please make sure your child has warm clothes and a fitted raincoat as well as gumboots or trainers. A change of clothes would also be useful. We will pop in and out of doors as the weather permits.
- Dance Lessons – The final session is on this Thursday, parents are welcome to attend. – Dance Information
- Term 3 Team Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 3 Newsletter, Team Falcon Term 3 Newsletter, Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter
- Assembly Term 3: Our school assemblies are held every second Friday at 9.45am. Week 8 – 13th September – Team Tui. Week 10 – 27th September – All Teams, Inquiry Progess/Wonderings. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson.
- Scholastic Book Orders – This Friday 6th is the last day to place an order for Issue 6, order can be placed online or by cash at the office.
- Spare Clothing – With all of this wet weather the children can easily get wet and muddy, we recommend they always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Ezlunch Term 3 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12 (midday)
School Terms 2020
Term 1 Monday 03/02 – Thursday 09/04
Term 2 Tuesday 28/04 – Friday 03/07
Term 3 Monday 20/07 – Friday 25/09
Term 4 Monday 12/10 – TBC
- Calendar Art – the students are busy creating their art works which will soon be available to order online as calendars, greeting cards, mouse pads, diaries and sketch pads. The order forms will be coming home in week 9 and the students work will be available to view in the office then.
- Trivia Night – Adults Only Friday 20th September Quiz night table booking
- Yummy Fruit – Support the school by collecting the stickers from Yummy fruit and attaching them to the sheets sent home last week. Please return these sheets at the end of week 9 the 21st September. The school will receive a share of free sports equipment donated by the company. https://www.yummyfruit.co.nz/schools/ Yummy Sticker Collection Sheet
- Entertainment Books – Order your book now – Orders
Come out and play with us at Tennis New Zealand’s Love Tennis regional open day.
Glenfield Tennis Club, Elliot Ave and Marlborough Park Tennis Club are opening their doors in a fun, free event for people of all ages who would like to try out – or get back into – tennis.
- Equipment supplied
Bring yourself or bring your family and find out all there is to love about tennis!
Good news! We still have a couple of spaces in our Marrzipan Class on Thursdays in the Hall! This is a great opportunity for your child to come and give it a go! Marrzipan is a New Zealand renowned self-confidence programme aimed at bringing out the absolute best in students. This term we are working on a play called “Monster Ball” and we’ll be performing it at the end of term! If you would like your child to come along for a non-obligatory Trial Lesson and experience Marrzipan first, please send an email to [email protected] or call us on 0275217352. See you there!
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz