Windy Ridge School Newsletter
14 August 2019
Term 3 Week 4
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Student Led Conferences – MONDAY 19th August 2pm – 7pm
Please go to the School Interviews website www.schoolinterviews.co.nz to make a booking for your conference next term. Please enter the event code is e9bpj and then click on your whanau teacher’s name to make a booking.
Please note that school will close early on this day to accommodate the conferences – we finish at 1.30pm.
We are hosting a Scholastic Book Fair in our library, feel free to drop in and have a look.
There will be a large range of books for sale, the school will benefit by receiving 30% of the sales to purchase new library books.
Opens: Friday 16th August – Closes: Tuesday 27th August
Times: Morning 8.30 – 9.00am Afternoon 2.45 – 3.00pm
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office or complete the attached form. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office. Kickstart Breakfast Club Parent Volunteers
- Nature Play Programme – Tomorrow Room 9 are taking part in a whole day of outdoor nature play with Jenine Maxwell. The weather looks like it could be wet so please make sure your child has warm clothes and a fitted raincoat as well as gumboots or trainers. A change of clothes would also be useful. We will pop in and out of doors as the weather permits.
- Dance Lessons – Team Tui students are participating in dance lessons this term every Thursday afternoon for 6 weeks. Team Tui Dance Lessons
- Hip Hop Lessons – Year 4 students are participating in Hip Hop lessons this term every Tuesday afternoon for 6 weeks. Year 4 Hip Hop Lessons
- Term 3 Team Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 3 Newsletter, Team Falcon Term 3 Newsletter, Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter
- Assembly Term 3: Our school assemblies are held every second Friday. This Friday Team Pukeko are sharing at our assembly. Week 6 – 30th August – Team Falcon, Week 8 – 13th September – Team Tui. Week 10 – 5th July – All Teams, Inquiry Progess/Wonderings. Assembly starts at 10am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson.
- Spare Clothing – With all of this wet weather the children can easily get wet and muddy, we recommend they always have a change of clothes in their bags.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Ezlunch Term 3 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 8.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12 (midday)
- Pita Pit Lunch – Thursday 22nd August 2019, orders can be placed online through Ezlunch – see attached menu Pita Pit Lunch Menu
- Upcoming Events – Jesters Pie Day – 5th September, Quiz Night – Adults Only Friday 20th September
- Chocolate Fundraising Prizes – These prizes will be given out at our assembly on Friday.
- Entertainment Books – Order your book now – Orders
Come out and play with us at Tennis New Zealand’s Love Tennis regional open day.
Marlborough Park Tennis Club is opening its doors in a fun, free event for people of all ages who would like to try out – or get back into – tennis.
- Equipment supplied
Bring yourself or bring your family and find out all there is to love about tennis!
PEST FREE KAIPĀTIKI CITIZEN SCIENCE MONTH, 28 JULY – 31 AUGUST
Everybody can contribute to science. Pest Free Kaipātiki Citizen Science Month will help our community track progress in restoring our local native bush and wildlife.
There are many different ways to get involved in Citizen Science Month:
- Identify and record destructive pest plants
- Explore the forest and detect predators
- Assess the health of our local rivers and streams
- Monitor our native birds and wildlife
- Photograph the urban forest to help us track positive change
The results will help Pest Free Kaipātiki to track progress in restoring our local native bush and wildlife. Join in and make this Auckland’s largest & most exciting Citizen Science week ever!!
Good news! We still have a couple of spaces in our Marrzipan Class on Thursdays in the Hall! This is a great opportunity for your child to come and give it a go! Marrzipan is a New Zealand renowned self-confidence programme aimed at bringing out the absolute best in students. This term we are working on a play called “Monster Ball” and we’ll be performing it at the end of term! If you would like your child to come along for a non-obligatory Trial Lesson and experience Marrzipan first, please send an email to [email protected] or call us on 0275217352. See you there!
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz