Windy Ridge School Newsletter
26 June 2019
Term 2 Week 9
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
MATARIKI FESTIVAL – FRIDAY 28TH JUNE
We are very proud to be hosting the first ever Matariki Festival for Glenfield Schools this Friday. There will be around 450 visitors coming to our school on the day, and there are 8 schools performing in the Hall over the course of the day. Target Road School will also be running weaving workshops, teaching others how to weave with harakeke (flax). Our Kapa haka group will be performing at 10am – some of the children have all been asked to wear something red on top and black on bottom for their performance. They will bring home a notice today explaining further. Our PTA has organised a range of food options on the day, including the usual WRS sausage sizzle (order forms have already been sent home for this). Children are welcome to bring come gold coins to purchase other food options:
Matariki Food Options
Windy Ridge Kids – Please Pre-order Sausage sizzle (to ensure we have them ready for 12.30)
Sausages will be available to purchase on the day for Families and Visitors. $2
Tuck Shop – From the Hall Kitchen windows
Mini Bags of Chippies $0.50
Small Ice Block $1
Cookie Time Cookie $1
Hot Milo $1
Bottled Water $1
Whittaker’s Chocolate $2
Double Dutch Food Truck – Front carpark
Regular $6, Large $8
Hot Shot Coffee Vans $5 – Front Carpark
Obviously some of the options are more suited to the adults who will be visiting on the day. We are hoping that our visitors are very hungry – funds raised are going towards the replacement of our rugby and netball goal posts.
Everyone is welcome to come along for the powhiri at 9.30am as we welcome our visitors and invited guests – please join the school group on the foyer side of the hall. Our whole school will be in the Hall for block 1 for the powhiri and the WRS performance. They will then return to classes and teams will organise when they will visit the hall during the day to see other performances. We are looking forward to an exciting day! PS Have you looked for Matariki in the night sky? It is now visible in the North East sky.
Week 10 Assembly – MONDAY not Friday as usual.
We will be having our last assembly on Monday next week. It is our last one for the term. It is Red Socks Day so we will be finding our more about the leadership initiatives of Sir Peter Blake and his Trust which continues to support and develop leadership in young people. Our Kapa Haka and Pacific Island groups will also be performing. A positive way to end our very busy term. Children are welcome to wear something RED on the day as part of the Red Socks celebrations, and you may wish to donate a gold coin which will go to the Sir Peter Blake Trust.
Staff News– We are excited to introduce Miss Sally Kim, who will be starting in Room 15 at the beginning of next term. Sally is an experienced teacher who comes to us from Willow Park School. She is looking forward to being here and we are delighted to have her join the team. Please make her feel welcome when you see her around the school.
Learning Conferences – Thanks to everyone who attended the Goal setting conferences earlier this term. We will be holding Student Led Conferences in week 3 of next term to review those goals and the progress of your children – Wednesday 7 August. Please pencil this date in your diary and we will send home booking information at the start of next term. If you are not currently connected to Seesaw please see your whanau teacher to get this organised. It is a great platform for getting updates on the day-to-day learning that occurs in your child’s classroom. The notifications come directly to your phone when there is a new item related to your child. We will be sending home summative, end-of-year written reports in term 4.
NZ Police New phone number – NZ Police recently launched a new non emergency number, 105. They’ve done this to make it easier to get hold of them in the event of non-urgent situations or ‘Things which have Already Happened’, which don’t require Police assistance immediately.
You can call on 105 for all non emergencies, or you can go online at 105.police.govt.nz to report things like:
– Lost property
– Theft for a public place or car
– Intentional property damage
– Or to get an update or add info to a previous report
In the event of an emergency, always call 111 – Things that are Happening Now.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office.
- Basketball Semester Two – We are now taking names for the next semester teams, can all players new and current who are interested in playing basketball next semester please return the slip to the office. Basketball Semester 2
- Road Patrol Roster – The new roster started this week. Road Patrol Roster Term 2
- Assemblies for this term: Week 10 – CHANGE OF DATE – Monday NOT Friday. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Term 2 Team Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 2 newsletter 2019, Team Pukeko Term 2 Newsletter, Team Falcon Term 2 newsletter 2019, Team Tui Term 2 newsletter 2019
- Chicken Pox – We have been advised of another case of chicken pox this week, to find out more information and advice about chicken pox – https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/diseases-and-illnesses/chickenpox
- Strep Throat – We have recently had several cases of Strep Throat in the school, if your child has a fever and sore throat please check with your doctor. For more information and advice see the Health Navigator NZ website.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Term 2 Ezlunch T2 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 9.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12
- Sausage Sizzle – Next Friday 28th June the PTA are selling sausages, students will be bringing home order forms tomorrow Matariki Sausage order form
- Chocolate Fundraiser – Thanks for supporting this fundraiser, we would like to have all money and any unsold chocolates returned to the office before the end of this term.
- Entertainment Books – Order your book now – Orders
Art in the Holidays (for ages 7 – 12 yrs.)
With step-by-step instruction children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way. Fun and focused.
Venue: Beach Haven Community House, July 10th, 10am – 3.00pm, $50
BOOKINGS: firstname.lastname@example.org, ph. 0210606641
MARRZIPAN HOLIDAY WORKSHOP!Students will devise their own play, create characters they feel awesome portraying, learn to direct each other, design the set, bring in costumes, use iMovie to create a commercial for their play on the iPad aaaaaand get to perform to family and friends at the end of the final day!
Dates – Monday 8th – Friday 12th July
Price – $60 per day
Bollywood Dance Classes
Marlborough Primary School Hall Saturdays 10.30am-11.30am, Term Time.
Come for a free trial class today.
Ages 5-12 years, boys and girls.
Life Changing Parenting Courses
for Parents of all Cultures
Parenting Adolescents in Mandarin (am) begins Tuesday 23rd July
Effective Discipline (am) in English begins Wednesday 24th July
Parenting Adolescents in English (pm) begins Wednesday 24th July
Effective Discipline (am) in Korean begins Thursday 25th July
Effective Discipline (am) in Mandarin begins Friday 26th July
Positive Discipline for under 4’s (am) in English begins Monday 29th July
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email email@example.com
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
Term two at Parenting Place is full of exciting events and we want to let you know what’s going on. We’d love for you to share the following events with people in your community.
Featured events – with nibbles and hot drinks
We’ve made a poster for this that you can download here and print off. You can pop it on your school noticeboard or even insert it in your school newsletter. If you’ve got a Facebook page, feel free to share this link.
3 July – Big feelings
For more information on all the events we have on offer, you can head to our website here.