Windy Ridge School Newsletter
19 June 2019
Term 2 Week 8
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Windy Ridge School
Board of Trustees Election
Declaration of Parent and Staff Election Results
Anderson, Stacey 95
Soper, John 67
Andrews, Susan 72
Stuart, James 106
Cheeseman, Marie 116
Telford, Ian 104
Mariner, Misipope 97
Invalid votes 5
I hereby declare the following duly elected:
Sarah Huppler 14
Sarah Turner 9
I hereby declare Sarah Huppler duly elected.
Parent Education Event – Tonight – Wednesday 19th June at Glenfield College The community parent evening is only a week away! Remember that this is a FREE event and a wonderful opportunity to hear from an expert about how our children’s brains develop and the impact on how they learn. We will have FREE CHILDCARE available on the evening also if you are unable to get away from the kids for the night. Please contact the office to book a ticket for the evening.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office.
Dear parents and caregivers
Believe it or not, it is now barely three weeks until the kids are off for their next holidays? With that in mind, it is our great pleasure to release our upcoming July holiday programme. A copy of our flyer is attached to this newsletter and is also available at the programme or from the school front office.
We will be doing two trips these holidays, with an exciting day at the Auckland Zoo planned in week one and the off to the movies in week two, to see one of the latest Blockbuster kids movies. Both days should be a lot of fun and the staff are really looking forward to them.
We also have some great on site days planned including the launching of our Foodstorm cooking programme. We will be doing a couple of cooking days during the holidays to preview the programme for everyone, before launching the full programme in term three.
As if that isn’t enough, week one will kick off with a day of slime and then later in the week will be a scavenger hunt and Bey Blade Battle. Week two begins with a Superhero and Villains dress up day, followed by Board Game Battle and ending the holidays with a huge sKids got Skills day. Also keep an eye out for a secret onsite activity to keep the kids active.
As always, there are plenty of booking options to suit your needs, including full day (7am-6pm), School day (8.30am-3pm) as well as half day options, either morning or afternoon. This time around we also have a special discount price for full week bookings, so be sure to look for that when booking.
It’s going to be a great programme, so jump online to www.skids.co.nz and click on the Parent Logon button now to secure you booking. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop us a line or pop into the programme to chat with our friendly team. T2 2019 Holiday Programme Flyer – Windy Ridge
The sKids Windy Ridge team.
We have about 20 of these student chairs that we are not now using, contact the office if you would like some.
- Basketball Semester Two – We are now taking names for the next semester teams, can all players new and current who are interested in playing basketball next semester please return the slip to the office. Basketball Semester 2
- Road Patrol Roster – The new roster started this week. Road Patrol Roster Term 2
- Assemblies for this term: This Friday 21st June Team Fantail will be sharing at our assembly. Week 10 – CHANGE OF DATE – Monday NOT Friday. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Term 2 Team Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 2 newsletter 2019, Team Pukeko Term 2 Newsletter, Team Falcon Term 2 newsletter 2019, Team Tui Term 2 newsletter 2019
- Chicken Pox – We have been advised of another case of chicken pox this week, to find out more information and advice about chicken pox – https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/diseases-and-illnesses/chickenpox
- Strep Throat – We have recently had several cases of Strep Throat in the school, if your child has a fever and sore throat please check with your doctor. For more information and advice see the Health Navigator NZ website.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Term 2 Ezlunch T2 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 9.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson FlyerBefore & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12
- Sausage Sizzle – Next Friday 28th June the PTA are selling sausages, students will be bringing home order forms tomorrow Matariki Sausage order form
- Chocolate Fundraiser – Thanks for supporting this fundraiser, we would like to have all money and any unsold chocolates returned to the office before the end of this term.
- Entertainment Books – Order your book now – Orders
Art in the Holidays (for ages 7 – 12 yrs.)
With step-by-step instruction children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way. Fun and focused.
Venue: Beach Haven Community House, July 10th, 10am – 3.00pm, $50
BOOKINGS: [email protected], ph. 0210606641
MARRZIPAN HOLIDAY WORKSHOP!Students will devise their own play, create characters they feel awesome portraying, learn to direct each other, design the set, bring in costumes, use iMovie to create a commercial for their play on the iPad aaaaaand get to perform to family and friends at the end of the final day!
Dates – Monday 8th – Friday 12th July
Price – $60 per day
Bollywood Dance Classes
Marlborough Primary School Hall Saturdays 10.30am-11.30am, Term Time.
Come for a free trial class today.
Ages 5-12 years, boys and girls.
Life Changing Parenting Courses
for Parents of all Cultures
Parenting Adolescents in Mandarin (am) begins Tuesday 23rd July
Effective Discipline (am) in English begins Wednesday 24th July
Parenting Adolescents in English (pm) begins Wednesday 24th July
Effective Discipline (am) in Korean begins Thursday 25th July
Effective Discipline (am) in Mandarin begins Friday 26th July
Positive Discipline for under 4’s (am) in English begins Monday 29th July
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
Term two at Parenting Place is full of exciting events and we want to let you know what’s going on. We’d love for you to share the following events with people in your community.
Featured events – with nibbles and hot drinks
We’ve made a poster for this that you can download here and print off. You can pop it on your school noticeboard or even insert it in your school newsletter. If you’ve got a Facebook page, feel free to share this link.
3 July – Big feelings
For more information on all the events we have on offer, you can head to our website here.