Windy Ridge School Newsletter
12 June 2019
Term 2 Week 7
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Matariki is the Māori name for a cluster of stars which is visible in our night sky at a specific time of the year. In 2019, from 25 to 28 June, Matariki will re-appear in the dawn sky – signalling the start of the Māori New Year. It is a time to celebrate new life, to remember those who’ve passed and to plan for the future. And it’s a time to spend with whānau and friends – to enjoy kai (food), waiata (song), tākaro (games) and haka. There is some great information and videos about Matariki for families on this page – Matariki, the Maori New Year 2019
We are very excited to be hosting the very first Glenfield Matariki Festival here on the 28th June. It is a day where we welcome all the local schools to participate in a sharing of Kapa haka performances. There will be 8 schools performing over the day, and our fabulous PTA will have a range of foods available to purchase also. Our very own Dave Ward has kindly accepted the call to be our MC for the day.
The day begins with a powhiri to welcome our visitors (local kaumatua, Local Board members, City Councillors and our Glenfield schools) at 9.30am, and WRS starts the performances at 10am.
We extend an invitation to everyone to come and join us on the day and help to celebrate Matariki.
Parent Education Event – Wednesday 19th June at Glenfield CollegeThe community parent evening is only a week away! Remember that this is a FREE event and a wonderful opportunity to hear from an expert about how our children’s brains develop and the impact on how they learn. We will have FREE CHILDCARE available on the evening also if you are unable to get away from the kids for the night. Please contact the office to book a ticket for the evening.
KickStart Breakfast – is held in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, this is for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning please contact the office. The weetbix and milk are donated by Sanitarium and Fonterra. The canned fruit is an optional extra and we rely on donations to offer this, so if you would like to donate a can please drop them into the office.
- Basketball Semester Two – We are now taking names for the next semester teams, can all players new and current who are interested in playing basketball next semester please return the slip to the office. Basketball Semester 2
- Road Patrol Roster – The new roster started this week. Road Patrol Roster Term 2
- Assemblies for this term: Our school assemblies are held every second Friday. Week 8 – 21st June – Team Fantail. Week 10 – CHANGE OF DATE – Monday NOT Friday. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Term 2 Team Newsletters – Team Fantail Term 2 newsletter 2019, Team Pukeko Term 2 Newsletter, Team Falcon Term 2 newsletter 2019, Team Tui Term 2 newsletter 2019
- Scholastic Book Orders – Please return orders to the office by tomorrow Thursday 13th June.
- Chicken Pox – We have been advised of another case of chicken pox this week, to find out more information and advice about chicken pox – https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/conditions-and-treatments/diseases-and-illnesses/chickenpox
- Strep Throat – We have recently had several cases of Strep Throat in the school, if your child has a fever and sore throat please check with your doctor. For more information and advice see the Health Navigator NZ website.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Term 2 Ezlunch T2 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is open from 8.30am to 9.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson FlyerBefore & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – Wednesday 18/12
- Parents Meet and Greet – Tonight Wednesday 12th June, from 7.30pm to 8.30pm in the staffroom. A social networking evening for all Windy Ridge parents – PTA Meet and Greet
- Jesters Pie Lunch – Next Thursday 20th June, orders must be placed before Wednesday 19th at midday – Jesters Pie Lunch
- Chocolate Fundraiser – Thanks for supporting this fundraiser. There are still have some extra boxes to sell, contact the office.
- Entertainment Books – Order your book now – Orders
Bollywood Dance Classes
Marlborough Primary School Hall Saturdays 10.30am-11.30am, Term Time.
Come for a free trial class today.
Ages 5-12 years, boys and girls.
Life Changing Parenting Courses
for Parents of all Cultures
Parenting Adolescents in Mandarin (am) begins Tuesday 23rd July
Effective Discipline (am) in English begins Wednesday 24th July
Parenting Adolescents in English (pm) begins Wednesday 24th July
Effective Discipline (am) in Korean begins Thursday 25th July
Effective Discipline (am) in Mandarin begins Friday 26th July
Positive Discipline for under 4’s (am) in English begins Monday 29th July
You can enrol on line or phone Haiying 551 6974 or
Elizabeth 441 0209 or Betty 551 6960
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
Term two at Parenting Place is full of exciting events and we want to let you know what’s going on. We’d love for you to share the following events with people in your community.
Featured events – with nibbles and hot drinks
We’ve made a poster for this that you can download here and print off. You can pop it on your school noticeboard or even insert it in your school newsletter. If you’ve got a Facebook page, feel free to share this link.
3 July – Big feelings
For more information on all the events we have on offer, you can head to our website here.