Windy Ridge School Newsletter
1 May 2019
Term 2 Week 1
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Szia, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
with a Masters in Educational Psychology. In January Kathryn spoke at our annual teachers’ conference around building resilience in our students. Kathryn was inspirational, so much
so, that the principals wanted to ensure that our community has an opportunity to hear Kathryn’s messages. There are two different sessions depending on the age of your child/ren. Come to one or both! The first session “The Early Years – Ages 5-9” is from 5.30 – 7pm and the second session “The Adolescent Brain”starts at 7.30pm and ends at 9pm. And the best part is that it is FREE to attend. SEATS ARE LIMITED so please contact the school office to confirm your attendance.
KickStart Breakfast – The breakfast club is now running in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning contact the office.
- Team Falcon Trip – Team Falcon Trip – Chelsea Sugar Factory
- Assemblies for this term: Our school assemblies are held every second Friday. Next Friday 10th May Team Tui are presenting at our assembly. Week 4 – 24th May – Team Falcon, Week 6 – 7th June – Team Pukeko, Week 8 – 21st June – Team Fantail. Week 10 – 5th July – All Teams, Inquiry Progess/Wonderings. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Walking School Bus – We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues in the heat please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Term 1 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is now open from 8.30am to 9.50am and at lunchtimes from 12.45pm to 1.25pm.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson FlyerBefore & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – TBC
- Kids Social Evening – Friday 7th June, 6pm – more information coming soon.
- Parent Meet and Greet – Wednesday 12th June, from 6.30pm. A social networking evening for all Windy Ridge parents
- Entertainment Books – Pre order your book now – Orders
NZ Warbirds Association would like to invite you to ask your staff and students if they would like to join us in commemorating D-Day 75, Sunday 02 June 2019 at Ardmore Airport. This year will see the 75th anniversary of D-Day, the allied invasion which marked the start of the Battle of Normandy and the eventual liberation of occupied Europe. On 6 June 1944, the largest seaborne invasion in history saw American, British and Canadian forces landed on the Normandy beaches, against ferocious opposition from the German forces and Luftwaffe. It was the major turning point of World War 2.
On Sunday 2 June, Queen’s Birthday weekend, NZ Warbirds at Ardmore will commemorate this momentous day with a special event at the Warbirds Ardmore base. Flying displays featuring classic WW2 fighters like the Spitfire and Mustang, mock air attacks and action on the ground by military enthusiasts, vintage military and classic aircraft from around the country, formation flying, and some heart-stopping aerobatics by both military and top civilian pilots will guarantee a great day out, not only for aircraft enthusiasts but the whole family. The RNZAF too will be there, subject to operational requirements.
We will also be welcoming some companies who will be showcasing careers in aviation, which should be of particular interest to students.
There will be lots to see between displays, with static aircraft, military vehicles, classic cars, food and refreshments and a range of gifts, apparel and aviation souvenirs at the Warbirds shop! There will be a kids’ zone with amusements for younger children.
Parenting Courses for Parents of all Cultures
Effective Discipline is for parents of children aged 4 – 11 years
Effective Discipline in Korean each Tues evening begins 30th April
Effective Discipline in English each Wed morning begins 1st May
Effective Discipline in Mandarin each Thurs morning begins 2nd May
Positive Discipline for under 4’s in English each Tues morning begins 7th May
Positive Discipline for under 4’s in Mandarin each Frid morning begins 10th May
Parenting Adolescents in English each Wed evening begins 1st May
Positive Discipline – Basic Skills in Mandarin each Mon evening begins 6th May
for parents of children and teens 8 – 16 years
You can enrol on line or phone Elizabeth 022 341 6212
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz