Windy Ridge School Newsletter
3 April 2019
Term 1 Week 9
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Szia, Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Fire Drill – We completed a fire drill today – ironically just as it started to drizzle with rain. However the whole school evacuated and assembled within five and a half minutes on the field – an excellent result for our first drill for the year. We have 3-4 fire drills each year, and our goal is to evacuate within 4-5 minutes. Next term we will also have our annual lockdown drill.
GUMBOOT UP – THIS FRIDAY We will be participating in the Gumboot Day fundraising in a few weeks to support the goal of having free counselling for all children who need it. Having depression is like walking through mud every day. So on Friday 5 April 2019, we’re asking you to show your support. Put your gumboots on, bring a gold coin to donate, and take a walk in their shoes for just one day. It’s a fun way for kiwis to join in the mental health conversation, while raising money to provide FREE and timely counselling for any kid in need. Time to go and buy yourself some funky gumboots! Take a look at the website for more information.
KickStart Breakfast – The breakfast club is now running in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning contact the office.
- Falcon Team Passion Day – This Friday 5th April, please read the attached notice sent home yesterday. Togs notice for Passion Day
- Assemblies – Week 10 – 12th April – All Teams, Inquiry Progress/Wonderings. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Term 1 Newsletter – Team Fantail Term 1 Newsletter – Team Pukeko Term 1 Newsletter – Falcon Term 1 newsletter – Team Tui newsletter T1 2019
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Walking School Bus – Hello, welcome to 2019 from your Walking School Buses. We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated. The Roberts Road bus is not running at the minute as their aren’t enough drivers, so if you’d love to help, we’d greatly appreciate it. Kind regards Caroline Hudson, WSB Coordinator
- Sun Safety – All students will need their sunhats at school this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues in the heat please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Term 1 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is currently closed while we upgrade our software to new online system.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – TBC
- PTA Meeting – The PTA are meeting next Tuesday at 7pm in the staffroom, all welcome.
- Entertainment Books – Pre order your book now – Orders
Parenting Courses for Parents of all Cultures
Effective Discipline is for parents of children aged 4 – 11 years
Effective Discipline in Korean each Tues evening begins 30th April
Effective Discipline in English each Wed morning begins 1st May
Effective Discipline in Mandarin each Thurs morning begins 2nd May
Positive Discipline for under 4’s in English each Tues morning begins 7th May
Positive Discipline for under 4’s in Mandarin each Frid morning begins 10th May
Parenting Adolescents in English each Wed evening begins 1st May
Positive Discipline – Basic Skills in Mandarin each Mon evening begins 6th May
for parents of children and teens 8 – 16 years
You can enrol on line or phone Elizabeth 022 341 6212
Highbury Community House is holding their 5th Repair Café on Saturday 6th April 9am – 12pm. 110 Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead
Bring along your broken items and sit with a repair volunteer to see if it can be fixed. Learn how to do it yourself for next time.
A Kids Craft Café will keep the young ones entertained while you wait.
Repair Cafés are worldwide and they help to keep things out of landfill unnecessarily and save you money!
A lovely FREE community event. www.facebook.com/events/152868805642610/
M Sports Football Camp using Inflatable pitch at Hauraki School
Kick off the holiday with our fun football holiday programme. It’s suitable for children aged 5 to 13. The week is full of exciting games and tournaments. Enjoy our unique Inflatable Football pitches. Our team of highly qualified staff will ensure your kids have a ball!
Holiday Camp Details
Hauraki School: 82 Jutland Rd, Hauraki, Auckland 0622
Week 1: Monday 15th to Thursday 18th April
Week 2: Tuesday 23rd and Wednesday 24th April
– 9am to 12pm $29 per day
– 9am to 3pm $49 per day
Register Your Child:
Go to https://enrolmy.com/msports-northshore and scroll to your school holiday programme venue.
Queries: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Northern Mystics vs Tactix
Doors Open: 1.30pm
Northern Marvels vs Central Manawa BEKO curtain raiser 2.10pm
Northern Mystics vs Tactix Main Game 4.10pm
Team Ticket Pass: 10 tickets for $110 – great value as this averages at only $11 per ticket
Discount Code for Sunday 7th April – Mystics vs Tactix
To take advantage of this discount customers just need enter the CODE into the PASSWORD section (see below) once they have selected the game they wish to attend.
This code is active for ALL home games.
Ahoy me’hearties! Margaret Mahy’s Pirate Adventure hits the stage this school holidays!
Margaret Mahy’s rollicking and funny pirate adventure, which makes for a brilliant family outing, hits the stage for the April school holidays.
The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate tells the story of Sam, an ordinary man who wears an ordinary suit and who works in an ordinary office. But his mother is an extraordinary mother – she’s a pirate and yearns to see the sea again. A wonderful and madcap adventure ensues as they travel to the sea, with much audience involvement.
Auckland’s leading children’s theatre company, Tim Bray Theatre Company presents The Man Whose Mother was a Pirate at the PumpHouse Theatre, Takapuna from Saturday 6th April to Sunday 28th April.
Children are encouraged to dress up as their favourite character from the book and …. To book, phone (09) 489-8360 or online at www.timbray.org.nz
Art in the Holidays (for ages 7 – 12 yrs.)
With step-by-step instruction children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way. Fun and focused.
Beach Haven, April 17, 10am – 3.00pm, $50
Birkenhead, April 23, 10am – 3.00pm, $55
BOOKINGS: email@example.com, ph. 483 6703
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
MARRZIPAN HOLIDAY WORKSHOP!Students will devise their own play, create characters they feel awesome portraying, learn to direct each other, design the set, bring in costumes, use iMovie to create a commercial for their play on the iPad aaaaaand get to perform to family and friends at the end of the final day!
Dates – Monday 15th – Thursday 18th April
Price – $60 per day