Windy Ridge School Newsletter
20 March 2019
Term 1 Week 7
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, As-salāmu ʿalaykum, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
However one of the ongoing concerns for parents and schools, predominantly secondary schools, is the circulation of video footage of the event. Netsafe has received a number of reports of online content relating to the attacks in Christchurch. Footage of the attacks has been deemed objectionable under New Zealand law which means that possessing or distributing the footage is an offence. Anyone who finds footage of the attacks online should report it to Netsafe at netsafe.org.nz/report but they should not keep copies or share it.
While the content is online there is some risk that children or young people may come across it unintentionally. Netsafe encourages schools and parents to proactively discuss with young people what they should do if they come across distressing content online. Further information is available at netsafe.org.nz/upsetting-content.
Shore to Shore – Sunday 31st March “Shore to Shore is an excellent way to fundraise for your school, as a percentage of your entry fee goes to your school to purchase PE gear and facilitate sports in school. To register follow this link http://shoretoshore.co.nz/ – click on register then select our school and follow the instructions.
KickStart Breakfast – The breakfast club is now running in the hall everyday from 8.30am to 8.50am, for any child who would like to have some weetbix, milk and fruit before school. We are looking for adults to help supervise the breakfast, if you have some free time in the morning contact the office. We are running low on canned fruit for the breakfasts, if you would like to donate a can of fruit please drop it at the office.
- Netball – Please complete and return to the office is your child is interested in playing netball in a school team on Saturday mornings. Netball notice
- Falcon Team Passion Day – Friday 5th April – Falcon Team Passion Day
- Assemblies for this term: Week 8 – 29th March – Team Fantail. Week 10 – 12th April – All Teams, Inquiry Progress/Wonderings. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Term 1 Newsletter – Team Fantail Term 1 Newsletter – Team Pukeko Term 1 Newsletter – Falcon Term 1 newsletter – Team Tui newsletter T1 2019
- Sunshine Online – www.sunshineonline.co.nz Free access to all families to use these books – Login – windyridge1 – Password – windyridge
- Head Lice – Please check your child’s hair weekly as unfortunately head lice are very common in the community. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/ For advice on treatments: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/h/head-lice/#Chemicalproducts Will my child have to stay away from school? No, the school will not exclude your child or ask you to keep them at home because they have lice. You don’t need to keep your child at home while you’re treating lice either. We have combs available in the office, but also your local chemist and supermarket will sell products.
- Walking School Bus – Hello, welcome to 2019 from your Walking School Buses. We have 4 Walking School Buses at WRS. They leave from Stephanie Close, Stanley Road, Roberts Road and Hiwihau Place. Most of them leave around 8.15am in the morning to get the students to school for 8.30am. If you would like your child(ren) to come on the Walking School Bus AND are able to help just one morning or afternoon a week, see Mrs Boyce in the office for a form and she will pass your details on to the right person. The Walking School Buses are solely run by awesome volunteers so your help is always appreciated. The Roberts Road bus is not running at the minute as their aren’t enough drivers, so if you’d love to help, we’d greatly appreciate it. Kind regards Caroline Hudson, WSB Coordinator
- Sun Safety – All students will need their sunhats at school this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Kindo – To avoid office queues in the heat please go online to make payments through your mykindo account. If you haven’t used Kindo before, click this link to get started (all you need is the email address we have on record) Kindo Shop If you already have a mykindo account, go to www.mykindo.co.nz or via the link on our school website. www.facebook.com/kindo.co.nz This site also hosts our online lunch ordering system Ezlunch – All orders must be made before 9am. Kindo_Parent_Flyer_CHINESE Term 1 Menu
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page, we are only able to accept parents and caregivers to this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library is currently closed while we upgrade our software to new online system.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
- Before & After-School Care – The sKids organisation provide this service from our school hall, please feel free to drop in and see them or register online through their website. www.skids.co.nz/locations/windy_ridge/
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – TBC
- Disco – Beach Days – Friday 22nd March, doors open at 6pm until 7.30pm, sausages for sale from 5.30pm.
- Entertainment Books – Pre order your book now – Orders
Art in the Holidays (for ages 7 – 12 yrs.)
With step-by-step instruction children will draw then create a vibrant acrylic painting learning tips and techniques along the way. Fun and focused.
Beach Haven, April 17, 10am – 3.00pm, $50
Birkenhead, April 23, 10am – 3.00pm, $55
BOOKINGS: [email protected], ph. 483 6703
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 24 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Dress up and WIN!
Kari-lee Haldane and Barfoot and Thompson Beach Haven want you to go all out and dress up as your favourite characters.
Whether it’s an action movie hero or a pop star or a book character get your thinking caps on and you could win a family pass to your choice of
Rainbows End, Kelly Tarltons or Auckland Zoo! How cool is that!
The winner will be drawn from the chosen finalists on the day.
One lucky school can win a bag of sports balls!
Represent your school with pride!
When we are doing the giveaways after the run we will be asking every school to give us a massive fun run roar!
The loudest roar will win their school a bag of sports balls courtesy of Recreation Services so encourage your classmates and families to come.
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz for more information and registration
KAIPATIKI PARKS HAVE BEEN FLOODED WITH FAIRIES MOVING IN TO KEEP AN EYE ON OUR OUTDOOR SPACES. CAN YOU FIND THEM ALL!
TO ENTER YOU SIMPLY NEED TO FIND THE PARK, LOCATE THE DOOR, RECORD THE NUMBER ON THIS FORM BESIDE THE CORRESPONDING PARK.
FIND AS MANY AS YOU CAN BEFORE THE 24TH OF MARCH THEN DROP YOUR FORM INTO GLENFIELD COMMUNITY CENTRE TO ENTER
MORE INFORMATION AND FORMS CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/KAIPATIKI/
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz