Windy Ridge School Newsletter
21 November 2018
Term 4 Week 6
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Please click on the link below to complete the survey
A nationwide test of the Emergency Mobile Alert system is happening on Sunday 25 November between 6pm and 7pm.
There’s no need to sign up or download an app, just check the list to see whether your phone is capable of receiving the alerts and make sure your updates are up to date.
Emergency Mobile Alerts are messages about emergencies sent by authorised emergency agencies to capable mobile phones.
The alerts are broadcast to all capable phones from targeted cell towers. The alerts can be targeted to areas affected by serious hazards.
If you get an alert, read the message and take it seriously. It will tell you what the emergency is and what to do. It will also tell you which agency sent the message and if needed, where to go for more information.
- Athletics Day – Next week we are holding our school athletics days, see the attached notice for more information. Athletics Days 2018
- PhotoLife – today we sent home the online order forms for the class, individual and sibling photos that were taken early this month. Please check your child’s bag for this notice. Each form has an individual shoot key which you use to view your families photo’s. You will receive free delivery if you order before midnight on Sunday 2nd December. https://www.photolife.co.nz/
- Team Pukeko Cultural Big Day In – On the 13th December Rooms 5, 6, 7 & 8 will have a morning of activities from the different cultures followed by a shared lunch. Team Pukeko Cultural Big Day In
- Assemblies for this term – This week Team Fantail are presenting at our assembly. Week 8 – 7th December – Team Falcon. Week 9, 10th December – Year 6 Graduation & Prizegiving. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Pukeko – Team Pukeko Term 4 2018 Newsletter
- Team Falcon – Team Falcon Term 4 Newsletter
- Parking – Please remember that there is NO parking in the school car parks or dropping students down the back driveway. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back gate.Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- The Oscar Club – The Oscar Club afterschool care will have their last day for the year on Monday 17th December and will recommence their holiday program on Monday 7th January 2019, please contact them directly for more information. http://www.theoscarclub.co.nz
- Sun Safety – All students will need their sunhats at school this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, Ezlunch Term 4 Menu Orders must be made before 9am.
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Kapa haka for Year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm in the hall. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm in the hall.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4 with Miss Ford, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out copies of receipts you can use to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups – Regular Happenings and Groups (1)
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community; please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library stocktake will be taking place next week, please return all books to school as soon as possible.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – TBC
- Disco – Friday November 23rd from 6pm to 7.30pm – Disco Flyer
- Athletics Day Sausage Sizzle – Next Friday 30th November the PTA are holding a sausage sizzle, order forms will be coming home this coming Friday, payment can be made on Kindo or by cash at the office. Sausage Sizzle Order Form
- Holiday Raffle – Thanks to everyone who has supported the raffle, we have extra tickets available at the office. The raffle is for some wonderfully holiday goodies! 1st prize is a nights accommodation at the Four Points Sheraton for 2 including a buffet breakfast and complimentary in room movies. Please return all money and tickets to the school office by Thursday 6th December.
North Shore Youth Music is a community organisation which runs a variety of orchestras and choirs for young people. Applications are now being accepted for 2019, and auditions will be held on Wednesday 5th,and 19th December. See www.nsym.org.nz for an application form.
This summer we have 3 awesome camps geared to get kids excited about the outdoors. Free transport provided from Auckland. With a focus on water safety, we have planned a range of activities including surfing, SUP, water safety lessons, as well as tramping, rock climbing, confidence courses, bush survival skills, hot pools, orienteering, team building, camp cooking and heaps more.
– January 14th – 18th – Aongatete Lodge
– January 21st – 25th – Aongatete Lodge
– Jan 29th – Feb 1st – Reedwood Valley Farm
8-14 yr olds
Pick up/drop off points in Auckland, Waikato, Tauranga, Whakatane and Rotorua.
Book before Xmas and be in to win a surfboard.
Make a splash this summer with Banana Boat OceanKids Series! The event nearest our school is Omaha Beach – The Gem which features three swim events for kids aged 7-12. This fun-filled day at the beach promotes confidence and creates lasting memories.
The three swim distances are: 100m for 7 & 8 year olds, 200m for 9 & 10 year olds and 300m for 11 & 12 year olds – so it gives every child a chance to swim to their ability.
Each child will receive:
- Finishers medal
- Finishers photo
- Official swim cap
The Gem is held on 15 December 2018 at Omaha Beach so get your family and friends together and be part of this exciting event this summer!”
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
YOU CAN TAKE YOUR USED SOFT PLASTIC BAGS AND WRAPPERS TO
Coming soon to Windy Ridge School
Last year Kiwis dropped off over 365 Tonnes of soft plastic bags for recycling. That’s a massive 91 million bags. Recycling soft plastic is something you can do. Look out for the green and white soft plastic recycling bin like the one in the image.
The Love NZ Soft Plastic Recycling Scheme website tells you all about plastic bag recycling and plastic wrap recycling, and how to recycle grocery bags and recycle bubble wrap.
Birkenhead City Cricket Club registration are open for the cricket season 2018-19. If interested you can either register online or can visit BCCC for
in person registration. For online registration please visit http://www.birkenheadcricket.co.nz/registration/ .