Windy Ridge School Newsletter
7 November 2018
Term 4 Week 4
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Malo e Leilei, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Although the current teacher shortage will make finding an additional 600 teachers challenging, the creation of this role will help support teachers and school leaders, and reduce their workload — so making the job of a teacher better supported and more appealing.
Hello from the Board!
Welcome back to what looks a very busy Term 4. The teachers and kiddies are all well into their Term activities and enjoying the warmer weather. Next Monday 12 November brings the next stage in industrial action by teachers nationwide, and as a show of support, the Board has decided to close the school for the day. There won’t be any staff on the premises so please make alternative arrangements for your child/ren. Thank you in advance. Looking ahead to May/June 2019, there will be the triennial Board of Trustee elections. Windy Ridge School requires a minimum of five representatives from the community. Is this you? Have a think and next year we will be inviting interested parties to come along to meetings to see how we do things here at Windy Ridge. Thank you all again for your ongoing support of our small school in the big city. Warm regards.
- Industrial Action – School will be closed this coming Monday 12th November. The Oscar Club we also be closed for afterschool care but we have been contacted by North Harbour Gymnastics who are offering a holiday programs on Monday at the North Shore Events Centre and Glenfield Mall, see the attached flyers for more information. NSEC strike day poster and MG strike day poster
- PhotoLife – Class and individual photos were take of all students last Thursday. Next week you will receive a notice with an individual shoot code which you can use to go online to order your child’s photos from the PhotoLife website. https://www.photolife.co.nz/
- Team Falcon Trip – On Wednesday 14th November Team Falcon classes are visiting the Harakeke Reserve in the Eskdale Bush to learn more about their environment and have a lesson with flax. Team Falcon Flax Trip.docx
- Team Pukeko Cultural Big Day In – On the 13th December Rooms 5, 6, 7 & 8 will have a morning of activities from the different cultures followed by a shared lunch. Team Pukeko Cultural Big Day In
- Assemblies for this term – This Friday, 9th November – Team Pukeko will be presenting at our assembly. Week 6 – 23rd November – Team Fantail, Week 8 – 7th December – Team Falcon. Week 9, 10th December – Year 6 Graduation & Prizegiving. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students are participating in swimming lessons this term 4, on a Thursday. Please see the attached notice for payment details. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- Team Pukeko – Team Pukeko Term 4 2018 Newsletter
- The Oscar Club – The Oscar Club afterschool care will have their last day for the year on Monday 17th December and will recommence their holiday program on Monday 7th January 2019, please contact them directly for more information. http://www.theoscarclub.co.nz
- Sun Safety – All students will need their sunhats at school this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, Ezlunch Term 4 Menu Orders must be made before 9am.
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Kapa haka for Year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm in the hall. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm in the hall.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4 with Miss Ford, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out copies of receipts you can use to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups – Regular Happenings and Groups (1)
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community; please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
Term 2 Monday 29/04 – Friday 05/07
Term 3 Monday 22/07 – Friday 27/09
Term 4 Monday 14/10 – TBC
- Disco – Friday November 23rd from 6pm to 7.30pm
M Sports are coming back to hold fun Football Kidz clinics at the school with our new inflatable pitch. Girls and boys from years 0-6 are welcome to participate. They’ll play fun games, learn exciting new skill techniques, play small matches and make new friends all under the guidance of our great team of qualified coaches. Windy Ridge Flyer
Make a splash this summer with Banana Boat OceanKids Series! The event nearest our school is Omaha Beach – The Gem which features three swim events for kids aged 7-12. This fun-filled day at the beach promotes confidence and creates lasting memories.
The three swim distances are: 100m for 7 & 8 year olds, 200m for 9 & 10 year olds and 300m for 11 & 12 year olds – so it gives every child a chance to swim to their ability.
Each child will receive:
- Finishers medal
- Finishers photo
- Official swim cap
The Gem is held on 15 December 2018 at Omaha Beach so get your family and friends together and be part of this exciting event this summer!”
The weekend will include demonstrations, activities, workshops, have a go kayaking, SUPs and sailing, fun interactive
games and the promotion of drowning prevention messages.
When: 10th & 11th November
Where: Okahu Bay
Times: 9am – 2pm
- How to make your own fresh pasta following Italian traditional recipe and using pasta machine
- How to make different cuts of pasta
For more information and bookings:
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page: “Handmade pasta with love”
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
YOU CAN TAKE YOUR USED SOFT PLASTIC BAGS AND WRAPPERS TO
Coming soon to Windy Ridge School
Last year Kiwis dropped off over 365 Tonnes of soft plastic bags for recycling. That’s a massive 91 million bags. Recycling soft plastic is something you can do. Look out for the green and white soft plastic recycling bin like the one in the image.
The Love NZ Soft Plastic Recycling Scheme website tells you all about plastic bag recycling and plastic wrap recycling, and how to recycle grocery bags and recycle bubble wrap.
Birkenhead City Cricket Club registration are open for the cricket season 2018-19. If interested you can either register online or can visit BCCC for
in person registration. For online registration please visit http://www.birkenheadcricket.co.nz/registration/ .
ART CLASS FOR CHILDREN
A fun and focused 6-week program for children aged 7 – 12yrs.
With step-by-step guidance students will explore methods and techniques useful for developing skills in drawing and acrylic painting.
Venue: Highbury House, Birkenhead.
Tuesdays, 3.30pm – 5.00pm. Starts Oct 30, cost $110.
Bookings: [email protected], ph. 483 6703