Windy Ridge School Newsletter
24 October 2018
Term 4 Week 2
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Assemblies for this term: This Friday Team Tui are presenting at our assembly. Week 4 – 9th November – Team Pukeko, Week 6 – 23rd November – Team Fantail, Week 8 – 7th December – Team Falcon. Week 9, 10th December – Year 6 Graduation & Prizegiving. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students will be participating in swimming lessons this term 4, on a Thursday. Please see the attached notice for payment details. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- PhotoLife – On Thursday 1st November, week 3 we will be having class and individual photos taken. PhotoLife Notice – Sibling photographs are also available but the signed booking form must be returned to the office before Photo day. PhotoLife Sibling Booking Form The forms can be picked up from the office.
- Scholastic Christmas Book Fair – Friday 26th to Wednesday 31st October in the school library. Opening hours 8.30am to 9.15am, 2.45pm to 3.15pm. Purchases can be made by Eftpos or cash.
- Sun Safety – All students will need their sunhats at school this term. Please make sure they are named.
- Scholastic Book Club – Please send your orders to the office by this Friday 26th.
- Lost Property – Please remember to check our lost property bin on the hall deck for any lost items, please name all items of clothing, lunch boxes and drink bottles.
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, Ezlunch Term 4 Menu Orders must be made before 9am.
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm in the hall. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm in Room 9.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4 with Miss Ford, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out copies of receipts you can use to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups – Regular Happenings and Groups (1)
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab or use the Skool Loop app. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
- Calendar Art – If you missed getting your order in last term, it is still not too late. But we will be closing all orders on the 26th October. All of the students have created their artwork for this fundraiser, samples of the calendar, cards, mouse pad, diary and sketch can be viewed in the office. KidsArtWorks Order Form
HANDS ON CLASS WHERE YOU WILL LEARN:
How to make your own real fresh pasta following ancient Italian tradition using flour and eggs
How to use pasta machine to roll your pasta
How to make the different cuts of pasta
EVERYONE WHO ATTENDS THE CLASS WILL:
Receive recipe of “how to make fresh pasta step by step”
Light refreshment in Italian style
Take home all the pasta made during the class
Book with Handmade pasta with love!
All ingredients are provided.
Please bring an apron and a container to take your pasta home.
Call Cosimo on 021 08587326 or email [email protected]
Facebook Page – Handmade pasta with love
Welcome to the Home of Kids Party Entertainment.
At Party At Yours we love to entertain your children with our super fun, innovative party ideas and
activities to suit birthday boys and girls of all ages. www.partyatyours.co.nz
YOU CAN TAKE YOUR USED SOFT PLASTIC BAGS AND WRAPPERS TO
Coming soon to Windy Ridge School
Last year Kiwis dropped off over 365 Tonnes of soft plastic bags for recycling. That’s a massive 91 million bags. Recycling soft plastic is something you can do. Look out for the green and white soft plastic recycling bin like the one in the image.
The Love NZ Soft Plastic Recycling Scheme website tells you all about plastic bag recycling and plastic wrap recycling, and how to recycle grocery bags and recycle bubble wrap.
Birkenhead City Cricket Club registration are open for the cricket season 2018-19. If interested you can either register online or can visit BCCC for
in person registration. For online registration please visit http://www.birkenheadcricket.co.nz/registration/ .
ART CLASS FOR CHILDREN
A fun and focused 6-week program for children aged 7 – 12yrs.
With step-by-step guidance students will explore methods and techniques useful for developing skills in drawing and acrylic painting.
Venue: Highbury House, Birkenhead.
Tuesdays, 3.30pm – 5.00pm. Starts Oct 30, cost $110.
Bookings: [email protected], ph. 483 6703
Join Adrienne Wood, a certified course facilitator with the Neufeld Institute to understand and become more equipped to help children with attention difficulties.
Monday, 29 October, 8.30am-4.30pm
Parenting Place 300 Great South Road, Greenlane
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.