Windy Ridge School Newsletter
12 September 2018
Term 3 Week 8
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
- Uru mai – Come inside
- Turi turi – be quiet
- Morena – good morning
- E oho – wake up
- Kia tere te haere – go quickly
- Aroha ahau ki a koe – I love you
The teachers and principals have received a new offer from the Government after a second round of negotiations. It has not been well received. It does nothing to address workload, support for special needs students, encouraging new people into the profession or reducing class sizes. There is an offer for a 3% increase per year over three years, which we believe is not sufficient to attract and retain teachers in the profession. We are being asked to vote on whether to accept the offer next week, and then consider what to do after that vote has been confirmed. On behalf of the staff at WRS I would like to thank our community for your support during this time. It has been difficult and many of us feel conflicted about what to do as we do not want our students to be disadvantaged in this process. However we need the Government to address our concerns NOW as failure to do so will have significant effect on our students now and certainly in the future, when we are unable to employ enough teachers to open the school.
- FunRun Fundraising – Well done to all those children who helped fund raise for the school. We raised over $8000.00 which will go towards creating more sporting opportunities for students. Prizes must be ordered by Friday, so please hop online to the website https://app.
schoolfundraising.co.nz/ and choose your prizes.The prizes should arrive at school early Term 4.
- Softball Competition – We are looking for students who are interested in participating in an upcoming softball tournament in October for Yr 5/6 & November for Yr 3/4. Softball Tournament Yr 3-6 Yesterday Chopper held his give it a go T ball session. Could you please get your permission slips in ASAP especially for the year 5/6 team. He will hold another session the week of Sept 24th for any children interested.
- Team Fantail Trip – On Wednesday 26th September the Fantail’s will be visiting The Pumphouse to watch a performance of Badjelly the Witch. PumpHouse Theatre Trip
- Assemblies for this term: This Friday Team Fantail are presenting at our assembly. Week 10 – 28th September, Inquiry presentations. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students will now be participating in swimming lessons in term 4 due to the closure of the Glenfield Pools next term. Please see the updated notice with the changes. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- Team Tui Camp – Camp starts next Monday 17th at Carey Park Camp, Please return permission forms and payment to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp – Camp Consent Forms & Students Details
- Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter – 2018 Term III Newsletter
- Lost/Found – We have had part of a Mi smartwatch handed in to the office last Wednesday.
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, for the Term 3 menu Ezlunch T3 Menu
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Junior Kapa Haka is held every Wednesday lunchtime from 1pm with Ms Bendall, this is for all year 0 to 2 students, year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4 with Miss Ford, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 3 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups – Term 3
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Lost Property – please see the Lost Property box on the hall deck for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
School Terms 2019
Term 1 Monday 4/02 – Friday 12/04
- Cake Day – Room 11 are providing yummy cakes and biscuits this Friday at morning tea, don’t forget to bring $1.
- Calendar Art – All of the students are busy creating their artwork for this fundraiser, samples of the calendar, cards, mouse pad, diary and sketch can be viewed in the office. KidsArtWorks Order Form Please return your order by Wednesday 26th September.
- Quiz Night – Friday 26th October
- PTA Chocolate Fundraiser – Please return money to the school office by the end of this week.
The Great thing with Softball starting means the Sun and warm weather is on the way…
Northcote Softball Registrations are Open.
Two Have a Go Days are setup ready to roll.
So dust off your Glove and get ready to hit bombs this summer at the Northcote Softball Club. This summer will be one of the biggest with great domestic and international events planned. So all new people welcome, all ages, all levels of teams available.
16thSunday Sept10amHave a Go Day
7thSunday Oct10amGirls Only Have a Go Day
YOU CAN TAKE YOUR USED SOFT PLASTIC BAGS AND WRAPPERS TO
Last year Kiwis dropped off over 365 Tonnes of soft plastic bags for recycling. That’s a massive 91 million bags. Recycling soft plastic is something you can do. Look out for the green and white soft plastic recycling bin like the one in the image.
The Love NZ Soft Plastic Recycling Scheme website tells you all about plastic bag recycling and plastic wrap recycling, and how to recycle grocery bags and recycle bubble wrap.
Maker Camp at Northcross Intermediate technology department in the term 3 holidays, 1 October to 4 October.
What is a Makerspace?
A Makerspace is a learning environment where students can explore their ideas and passions through construction. They learn by doing, by tinkering, by experimenting, by wondering, by making. In short a Makerspace is an interdisciplinary wonderland of inquiry for students. Making is designed to be hard fun, interactive, collaborative, whimsical and whacky. Our project for the Maker Camp is to allow children to become experts in areas they never knew they were, through exploring and combining the worlds of physical and digital making. Maker Camp Brochure
Birkenhead City Cricket Club registration are open for the cricket season 2018-19. If interested you can either register online or can visit BCCC for
in person registration. For online registration please visit http://www.birkenheadcricket.c
are on 22nd Sept(9:30-12pm), 26th Sept( 5-7pm) and 29th Sept(9:30-12pm) at BCCC clubrooms.
October Holiday Camps – Early drop off and late pick up options are also available:
Camp 1:1 & 2 Oct from $105 (Yr 1-3) 9.00am – 2.30pm
Camp 2: 3-5 Oct from $140 (Yr 4-6) 9.00am – 2.30pm
Camp 3: 8 & 9 Oct from $105 (Yr 1-7) 12.30pm – 5.30pm
Camp 4: 10-12 Oct from $140 (Yr 4-8) 9.00am – 2.30pm
All bookings can be made through www.juniorbreakers.basketball
School Holiday Computer Classes:
Classes for ages 5 – 15 in Minecraft, Learn to Code in Scratch, Python or Java, Create 3D Games, Web Design, Video Editing, Build a PC and if young, the Discovery Computer Class. For further information call 488-0787or visit www.grandtraining.co.nz.
- Surfing Days for Primary and Intermediate Schools. Increase ‘beach safety’ awareness for children through experiencing the enjoyment of learning how to surf giving them the confidence to be active and have fun in the ocean. To educate and encourage children that surfing is for everyone regardless of size, skill and ability.
- Electives for Intermediate Schools. Learning to ride that first wave will stay with you forever, let us teach the children the fun sport of surfing during their electives.
- NCEA Credits for Secondary Schools. Students can earn NCEA Level 1, 2 & 3 credits in surfing through a 2-Day O’Neill Surf Academy Surfing Course.
- School Camps. We can assist your school camp anywhere across Bay of Plenty with a fun day at the beach including surfing lessons and beach games.
Explore the magic of theatre and develop teamwork, social skills, self-esteem and confidence at The PumpHouse After School Drama programme. Using a variety of drama games, movement, improvisation, mime and speech, young people develop the knowledge, confidence and thinking skills of those with an interest in drama and performance arts – and … https://pumphouse.co.nz/whats-on/show/after-school-drama-programme/
SPRING HOLIDAY FUN!!
We are running SIX AWESOME FUN FILLED DAYS OF PERFORMANCE over the holiday break and you don’t want to miss out.
Grab all your friends, cousins, and the kids next door and come and spend the day with us. Our Holiday Days are packed with your favourite games and activities to keep your brain buzzing with performance opportunities. Your voices will be loud and your smile will be huge! We cater for all ages from 5 years to young adults. You’ll be grouped with kids the same age and you will have a blast!
- The cost is $55 but you can get the day for only $40 with our BRING A BUDDY PROMO…two of you can come for $80!
- All days run from 9am – 4pm. Wear comfortable clothes. Children will not be taken off site. Pack lunch, morning and afternoon snacks and a drink.
Click the Holiday Day closest to you for more info & to book – these days quickly fill up so make sure you book today!
Monday 1st October MILFORD SCHOOL NORTH SHORE
Tuesday 2nd October RED BEACH SCHOOL WHANGAPARAOA
Wednesday 3rd October KINGS SCHOOL REMUERA
Thursday 4th October PINEHURST SCHOOL ALBANY NORTH SHORE
Thursday 4th October KINGSWAY SCHOOL SILVERDALE
Friday 5th October KINGS SCHOOL REMUERA
You will LOVE these Holiday Days! We inspire Creativity we develop Confidence and we build Character with every session we offer. This is a great opportunity to find out all about our most popular class and get to know what we offer. We look forward to Pforming with you!
Be part of the celebrations onFriday 28 September 2018.Register your interest at www.northcoteprimary100.co.nz
Plunket’s New and Nearly New Sale
15th of September, 2018, 10am – 12pm – Takapuna Primary School Hall.
Looking for sellers! Do you have any 0 -10 year clothing or toys that you are ready to move on?
This is the perfect opportunity to have a spring clean in winter! Clear out the cupboards of things that are no longer being used. Make some extra $$ while supporting Plunket. To book your table or donate any items to be sold at this event.
Please contact. [email protected]
Beachaven Busy Bees Playgroup is reopening on the 23rd of July.
Residents Association Hall, 336 Rangatira Rd, Beach Haven, 9.30am – 11.30am
0-5years everyone is welcome. $3 per family
Please contact. [email protected]
We live in a digital age and technology is a big topic for parents. How do we help our kids live with technology in a balanced way? What’s normal and what’s not? We’d like to invite you and your parents along to our next big event – ‘Tackling technology’.Thursday, 13 September
7-9pm, doors open at 6.30pm for drinks and nibbles
Parenting Place, 300 Great South Road, Greenlane
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.