Windy Ridge School Newsletter
29 August 2018
Term 3 Week 6
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
DAFFODIL DAY – FRIDAY 31 August
Every year we celebrate Daffodil Day as a fundraising event for the Cancer Foundation. We have many families in our community that have been affected by cancer, and this is our way of showing support to them. On FRIDAY this week, we encourage everyone to have a bit of fun dressing in yellow or flowery clothes, and bring a gold coin to donate. There are also daffodil pins available at the office for a donation.
I had the dubious honour of Crossing Duty this morning in the pouring rain. If I had the authority to issue tickets, I would have been rich! Please remember that traffic rules are in place to ensure the safety of YOUR children. When you do not follow the rules you create a situation where other drivers or pedestrians are required to work around you, and this creates an unsafe environment for our children. Do not let your children out of the car in bus stops, in or across driveways or on yellow lines.
Here is a reminder of the possible fines for parking infringements:
CROSS COUNTRY PROGRAM
9:20am – 10 year old + girls
9:35am – 10 year old + boys
9:50am – 9 year old girls
10:00am – 9 year old boys
10:10am – 8 year old girls
10:20am – 8 year old boys
10:30am – 7 year old girls
10:40am – 7 year old boys
Morning Tea Break 11:00-11:20
11:30am – 6 year old girls
11:40am – 6 year old boys
11:50am – 5 year old girls
12:00am – 5 year old boys
12:30pm – Sausage Sizzle
Children WILL need a change of clothes including footwear. The children 7 years and up will be running a long course this year along Seaview and Valleyview Roads, so they will need to wear shoes. The 5 and 6 year olds will run within the school and due to the rainy winter, they will likely get muddy.
We are keeping an eye on the weather, the rain day is set for Friday September 7th however we are hoping to go ahead on the 3rd. But we may not be able to make a decision until Monday morning, we will send out a postponement notice on Facebook and the Skool Loop app by 8.30am.
We have had great success with our FunRun Fundraiser to go along with our cross country day and we are excited to see the prizes that the children have earned. If you have raised cash, please bring it into the office with a clear label indicating your child’s name, room number and that it is for the fun run.
We welcome any supporters to come along and cheer on the children, and if you are happy to help along the course please let Mrs. Turner know. Please forward any questions you have to [email protected]
We are looking forward to an exciting, fun and positive day. Course Map –Cross Country Map
Reminder to enrol
Special reminder for our Year 6 parents – enrolments for Intermediate schools are now open. Schools rely on these enrolments to allocate adequate staffing for the next year, so it is very helpful if this is done before the end of term 3. If you need information packs or help with this process, please contact Suzanne in the office.
The dance lessons once again are proving very popular with our students. They have been enjoying learning new dance skills and are looking forward to their final session when they have the opportunity to show off what they have learnt. The final sessions are:
Hip Hop Year 4’s – Tuesday the 11th of September (this date as changed from the one previously due to the dance instructor being away due to sickness.)
Ballroom Year 5&6’s – Wednesday the 5th of September.
You are welcome to join us in the hall for those final sessions to watch your children from 1:40pm-2:40pm. It is always a fantastic ending to our Dancing with the Stars programme. We look forward to seeing you there.
If you have not already downloaded this app – you are missing out! It is FREE and provides you with instant access to information about school – the calendar, newsletters, notices. Notifications of any new information are sent directly to your phone. You can set up which notifications you want to see, and you can send absentee messages directly to school. So easy to use and stay up to date.
- Dancing Lessons Final Performances – Year 5 & 6 students are participating in dance lessons this term, the final dance session is on Wednesday 5th September at 1.40pm. Dance for Tui Team. The Year 4 students final dance session is on Tuesday 11th September at 1.40pm. Hip Hop for Year 4
- Camp Hot Dog Fundraiser – This term Team Tui are fundraising for camp and will having another ‘Hot Dog’ lunch this Friday 31st – Hot Dog Lunch Order Form Week 6
- Team Fantail Trip – On Wednesday 26th September the Fantail’s will be visiting The Pumphouse to watch a performance of Badjelly the Witch. PumpHouse Theatre Trip
- Cross Country – We will be holding the School Fun-Run as a major fundraising event this year on Monday 3rd September! We are raising money to increase sporting opportunities in the school. See the attached notice for more information, sponsorship forms are available from the office. School Fun Run
- Touch Rugby Competition – If your child is interested in playing touch rugby next term, please complete the attached notice and return to the school office before 7th September. This is an outside school competition run on Wednesday nights from the 24th October. Touch Rugby Competition
- Assemblies for this term: This Friday 31st August Team Tui will be sharing their learning, Week 8, Team Fantail – 14th September, Week 10 – 28th September, Inquiry presentations. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students will now be participating in swimming lessons in term 4 due to the closure of the Glenfield Pools next term. Please see the updated notice with the changes. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- Team Tui Camp – Carey Park Camp, Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th September – Please return permission forms and payment to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp On Monday 27th August all students were given an envelope containing consent forms to be completed, please return them to the office as soon as possible – Camp Consent Forms & Students Details
- Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter – 2018 Term III Newsletter
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, for the Term 3 menu Ezlunch T3 Menu Fathers’ Day gifts from EzlunchIt’s time to celebrate dads – and how better than to get them something a little different, and not socks! Place an order with ezlunch for delivery 27th August – 31st August and be in the draw to WIN ONE OF TWO $50 Gift Vouchers to gift to Dad on Fathers’ Day. The winners will be notified by email and/or phone onFriday 31st August. Good luck!
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Junior Kapa Haka is held every Wednesday lunchtime from 1pm with Ms Bendall, this is for all year 0 to 2 students, year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4 with Miss Ford, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 3 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups – Term 3
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Lost Property – please see the Lost Property box on the hall deck for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
- Calendar Art – All of the students are busy creating their artwork for this fundraiser, samples of the calendar, cards, mouse pad, diary and sketch can be viewed in the office. The order forms were sent home yesterday, KidsArtWorks Order Form
- Cross Country/Fun Run – Sausage Sizzle – Monday 3rd September, order form – Sausage Sizzle – Fun-Run
- Quiz Night – Friday 26th October
- PTA Chocolate Fundraiser – Thank you to all the families who have returned their money, if you are unable to or prefer not to sell the chocolates please return them to the school office. Please return money to the school office by the end of this week.
Be part of the celebrations onFriday 28 September 2018.Register your interest at www.northcoteprimary100.co.nz
Plunket’s New and Nearly New Sale
15th of September, 2018, 10am – 12pm – Takapuna Primary School Hall.
Looking for sellers! Do you have any 0 -10 year clothing or toys that you are ready to move on?
This is the perfect opportunity to have a spring clean in winter! Clear out the cupboards of things that are no longer being used. Make some extra $$ while supporting Plunket. To book your table or donate any items to be sold at this event.
Please contact. [email protected]
Beachaven Busy Bees Playgroup is reopening on the 23rd of July.
Residents Association Hall, 336 Rangatira Rd, Beach Haven, 9.30am – 11.30am
0-5years everyone is welcome. $3 per family
Please contact. [email protected]
We live in a digital age and technology is a big topic for parents. How do we help our kids live with technology in a balanced way? What’s normal and what’s not? We’d like to invite you and your parents along to our next big event – ‘Tackling technology’.Thursday, 13 September
7-9pm, doors open at 6.30pm for drinks and nibbles
Parenting Place, 300 Great South Road, Greenlane
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.