Windy Ridge School Newsletter
22 August 2018
Term 3 Week 5
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Kamusta, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Last Wednesday all Primary school teachers around the country had an opportunity to make clear to the Government that we need better support to do this very important job. The teachers at WRS certainly appreciated the messages of support we received from you. Our teachers joined about 10,000 other teachers in Auckland to march up Queen Street, and make our expectations clear. The issue for us is not just about ourselves now; it is also about what our schools will look like in 3-5 years. We are now waiting to see what impact this action has had on our negotiations.
Reminder to enrol
Special reminder for our Year 6 parents – enrolments for Intermediate schools are now open. Schools rely on these enrolments to allocate adequate staffing for the next year, so it is very helpful if this is done before the end of term 3. If you need information packs or help with this process, please contact Suzanne in the office.
Enviro Team Report:
- Camp Fundraiser – This term Team Tui are fundraising for camp and will having another ‘Hot Dog’ lunch this Friday 24th – Hot Dog Lunch Order Form
- Team Fantail Trip – On Wednesday 26th September the Fantail’s will be visiting The Pumphouse to watch a performance of Badjelly the Witch. PumpHouse Theatre Trip
- Cross Country – We will be holding the School Fun-Run as a major fundraising event this year on Monday 3rd September! We are raising money to increase sporting opportunities in the school. See the attached notice for more information, sponsorship forms are available from the office. School Fun Run Please see the attached notice for a timetable of the days events. Cross Country
- Assemblies for this term: Week 6, Team Tui – 31st August, Week 8, Team Fantail – 14th September, Week 10 – 28th September, Inquiry presentations. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students will now be participating in swimming lessons in term 4 due to the closure of the Glenfield Pools next term. Please see the updated notice with the changes. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- Dance Lessons – Year 5 & 6 students are participating in dance lessons this term, every Thursday for 5 weeks with the final dance on Wednesday 5th September. Dance for Tui Team and the Year 4 students will be participating in Hip Hop lessons on Tuesdays for 6 weeks with the final dance on Tuesday 4th September. Hip Hop for Year 4
- Team Tui Camp – Carey Park Camp, Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th September – Please return permission forms and payment to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp
- Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter – 2018 Term III Newsletter
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, for the Term 3 menu Ezlunch T3 Menu Fathers’ Day gifts from EzlunchIt’s time to celebrate dads – and how better than to get them something a little different, and not socks! Place an order with ezlunch for delivery 27th August – 31st August and be in the draw to WIN ONE OF TWO $50 Gift Vouchers to gift to Dad on Fathers’ Day. The winners will be notified by email and/or phone onFriday 31st August. Good luck!
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Junior Kapa Haka is held every Wednesday lunchtime from 1pm with Ms Bendall, this is for all year 0 to 2 students, year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4 with Miss Ford, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 3 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups – Term 3
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Lost Property – please see the Lost Property box on the hall deck for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
- Upcoming Events – Cross Country Sausage Sizzle, Monday 3rd September – Quiz Night, Friday 26th October
- PTA Chocolate Fundraiser – Thank you to all the families who have returned their money, if you are unable to or prefer not to sell the chocolates please return them to the school office. Please return money to the school office by the end of this week.
Be part of the celebrations onFriday 28 September 2018.Register your interest at www.northcoteprimary100.co.nz
An introduction to Mindfulness Meditation, with Jacki Rowles. A FREE community event.
Mindfulness has been linked to many positive health benefits as it helps us deal with the busyness of life which often leaves us feeling overwhelmed and stressed.
This workshop will provide you with an overview of what mindfulness is, a detailed explanation of the technique as well as an opportunity to try it out yourself.
Weds 22 August, 7.30 – 8.30pm. Highbury Community House, 110 Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead.
To book a place: 480 5279 or email@example.com by 17 August
Plunket’s New and Nearly New Sale
15th of September, 2018, 10am – 12pm – Takapuna Primary School Hall.
Looking for sellers! Do you have any 0 -10 year clothing or toys that you are ready to move on?
This is the perfect opportunity to have a spring clean in winter! Clear out the cupboards of things that are no longer being used. Make some extra $$ while supporting Plunket. To book your table or donate any items to be sold at this event.
Please contact. Sarah.Gracie-Compain@plunket.org.nz
Beachaven Busy Bees Playgroup is reopening on the 23rd of July.
Residents Association Hall, 336 Rangatira Rd, Beach Haven, 9.30am – 11.30am
0-5years everyone is welcome. $3 per family
Please contact. Sarah.Gracie-Compain@plunket.org.nz
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.