Windy Ridge School Newsletter
8 August 2018
Term 3 Week 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
This term we are all revisiting the Keeping Ourselves Safe programme. KOS aims to help our students to learn and apply a range of safety skills that they can use when interacting with others. With the support of Constable Steve Harwood, they learn to recognise the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships, and develop strategies to keep themselves safe.
School App – as we look for more ways to keep communication with our families quick and easy we now have a new tool. The Windy Ridge School app – Skool Loop, this can easily been downloaded onto your mobile phones by simply following the below instructions. You will be able to send absentee notes, view the newsletter, check our calendar and contact any staff member. We are in the process of adding notices and permissions, we will also be able to send out alerts for reminders of upcoming events and important information.
- Camp Fundraiser – This term Team Tui are fundraising for camp and will having a ‘Hot Dog’ lunch this Friday – Hot Dog Fundraiser
- Scholastic Book Fair – Thank you to everyone who visited our book fair, we sold over $2,400 in books which the school will receive $700 to purchase reading resources.
- Assemblies for this term: Apologies for the changes but we have decided due to our busy calendar our assemblies will now move back to Friday mornings every fortnight. Week 4, Team Pukeko – 17th August, Week 6, Team Tui – 31st August, Week 8, Team Fantail – 14th September, Week 10 – 28th September, Inquiry presentations. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students will now be participating in swimming lessons in term 4 due to the closure of the Glenfield Pools next term. Please see the updated notice with the changes. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- Dance Lessons – Year 5 & 6 students will be participating in dance lessons this term, every Thursday for 5 weeks with the final dance on Wednesday 5th September. Dance for Tui Team and the Year 4 students will be participating in Hip Hop lessons on Tuesdays for 6 weeks with the final dance on Tuesday 4th September. Hip Hop for Year 4
- Team Tui Camp – Carey Park Camp, Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th September – Please return permission forms and payment to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp
- Science Roadshow – Team Falcon and Team Pukeko will be travelling to Albany Junior High on the on Thursday 16th August to attend this event, see the attached notices for more information. Falcon Roadshow Notice – Pukeko Roadshow Notice
- Team Pukeko Term 3 Newsletter – 2018 Term III Newsletter
- Cross Country – We will be holding the School Fun-Run as a major fundraising event this year on Monday 3rd September! We are raising money to increase sporting opportunities in the school. A notice for parents and a sponsorship form will be coming home with your child on Friday. School Fun Run
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, for the Term 3 menu Ezlunch T3 Menu
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Junior Kapa Haka is held every Wednesday lunchtime from 1pm with Ms Bendall, this is for all year 0 to 2 students, year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm.
- Chess Club – every Monday lunchtime in Room 4, all welcome
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 3 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups – Term 3
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Lost Property – please see the Lost Property box on the hall deck for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – Monday 17/12 at 12.30pm
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
- PTA Chocolate Fundraiser – Thank you to all the families who have returned their money, if you are unable to or prefer not to sell the chocolates please return them to the school office. Please return money to the school office by the end of this week.
Plunket’s New and Nearly New Sale
15th of September, 2018, 10am – 12pm – Takapuna Primary School Hall.
Looking for sellers! Do you have any 0 -10 year clothing or toys that you are ready to move on?
This is the perfect opportunity to have a spring clean in winter! Clear out the cupboards of things that are no longer being used. Make some extra $$ while supporting Plunket. To book your table or donate any items to be sold at this event.
Please contact. Sarah.Gracie-Compain@plunket.
Beachaven Busy Bees Playgroup is reopening on the 23rd of July.
Residents Association Hall, 336 Rangatira Rd, Beach Haven, 9.30am – 11.30am
0-5years everyone is welcome. $3 per family
Please contact. Sarah.Gracie-Compain@plunket.
WAIRAU INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL OPEN DAYS/EVENING & YEAR 6 TRANSITION DAYS
Wairau Intermediate School will be holding open days during school hours on Wednesday 12 September and Thursday 13 September and an open evening on Thursday 13 September from 7.00-8.30pm. Current Year 6 children and their parents / caregivers are invited to visit the school during these times. Enrolment packs will be available at the open days and evening and can also be obtained by phoning the Wairau Intermediate School Office on 410 7805. Our enrolment week is Monday 17 – Friday 21 September during school hours. Year 6 students from our main contributing schools will be attending transition days in August. Should you wish your child to come along and join in on one of these visits, this can be arranged by phoning the school office on 410 7805.
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.