Windy Ridge School Newsletter
25 July 2018
Term 3 Week 1
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
We look forward to seeing you at school next week at the Student Led Conferences. This is an open and honest conversation between students, parents and teachers. Our learners are encouraged and supported to share their learning and voice in these conferences to support their growing understanding of themselves and their learning. Your child will show you some examples of their work, what they were learning from it and explain what their goals are for the remainder of the school year. If you have any questions about your child’s report, or would like something explained in further depth, please make contact with the classroom teacher before the Student Led Conference and let them know. This will give them time to prepare information for you.
Student led conferences are scheduled for Week 2, Term 3 on Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd August.
To make a booking follow this link https://www.schoolinterviews.co.nz/code?z=npmqBv enter our code fcxdz and follow the instructions. Please book a ten minute slot and allow an extra ten minutes (unbooked time slot) after this to meet with the teacher.
School will be closing early for these conferences on
Wednesday 1st August at 1.30pm and Thursday 2nd August at 2.30pm for ALL children.
Keeping Ourselves Safe:
This term we are all revisiting the Keeping Ourselves Safe programme. KOS aims to help our students to learn and apply a range of safety skills that they can use when interacting with others. With the support of Constable Steve Harwood, they learn to recognise the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships, and develop strategies to keep themselves safe.
School App – as we look for more ways to keep communication with our families quick and easy we now have a new tool. The Windy Ridge School app – Skool Loop, this can easily been downloaded onto your mobile phones by simply following the below instructions. You will be able to send absentee notes, view the newsletter, check our calendar and contact any staff member. We are in the process of adding notices and permissions, we will also be able to send out alerts for reminders of upcoming events and important information.
- Scholastic Book Fair – Every year we hold a book fair in our library, Scholastic NZ provide us with a great range of books for sale with 30% of all sales going back to the school. This years event will start next week running until Wednesday 8th August with the library open before and after school and during the student led conferences on Wednesday 1st from 2pm to 8pm and Thursday from 1.30pm to 6pm.
- Road Patrol Roster – The new roster begins next week. In order to run road patrol safely and efficiently, we need parents or grandparents to take on the role of supervisors. Please consider this small task you can do to support the school. If you are new to the role, I will provide training. If you carried out a duty last year and are happy to continue, or if you are new, please leave your name at the office and the day you’re available and I’ll contact you soon.Many thanks, Jenine
- Assemblies for this term: Our school assembly is held every 2nd week on a Wednesday morning. Week 2, Team Falcon – 1st August, Week 4, Team Pukeko – 15th August, Week 6, Team Tui – 29th August, Week 8, Team Fantail – 12th September, Week 10 – 26th September, Inquiry presentations. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and Board Chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Team Falcon Swimming – The Falcon students will now be participating in swimming lessons in term 4 due to the closure of the Glenfield Pools next term. Please see the updated notice with the changes. Updated Falcon Swimming Notice
- Dance Lessons – Year 5 & 6 students will be participating in dance lessons this term, starting next Thursday 2nd August. Dance for Tui Team and the Year 4 students will be participating in Hip Hop lessons, starting next Wednesday 31st July. Hip Hop for Year 4
- Team Tui Camp – Carey Park Camp, Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th September – Please return permission forms and payment to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp
- Science Roadshow – Team Falcon and Team Pukeko will be travelling to Albany Junior High on the on Thursday 16th August to attend this event, see the attached notices for more information. Falcon Roadshow Notice – Pukeko Roadshow Notice
- Positive Puberty Plus Program – Next Tuesday 31st August the Year 5/6 students are participating in this program, please return their consent forms to the office. See this notice for more information – Positive Puberty Plus
- Ezlunch – We have an online lunch order system available for students, to register and order follow this link www.ezlunch.co.nz/schools, for the Term 3 menu Ezlunch T3 Menu
- Pasifika & Kapa Haka Groups – Junior Kapa Haka is held every Wednesday lunchtime from 1pm with Ms Bendall, this is for all year 0 to 2 students, year 3 to 6 students is on Friday afternoons from 1.00pm to 2.00pm. The Pasifika group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm.
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 3 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Lost Property – please see the Lost Property box on the hall deck for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17/12 TBC
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
- PTA Chocolate Fundraiser – Thank you to all the families who have returned their money, if you are unable to or prefer not to sell the chocolates please return them to the school office. Please return money to the school office by the end of this week.
Plunket’s New and Nearly New Sale
15th of September, 2018, 10am – 12pm – Takapuna Primary School Hall.
Looking for sellers! Do you have any 0 -10 year clothing or toys that you are ready to move on?
This is the perfect opportunity to have a spring clean in winter! Clear out the cupboards of things that are no longer being used. Make some extra $$ while supporting Plunket. To book your table or donate any items to be sold at this event.
Please contact. Sarah.Gracie-Compain@plunket.
Beachaven Busy Bees Playgroup is reopening on the 23rd of July.
Residents Association Hall, 336 Rangatira Rd, Beach Haven, 9.30am – 11.30am
0-5years everyone is welcome. $3 per family
Please contact. Sarah.Gracie-Compain@plunket.
WAIRAU INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL OPEN DAYS/EVENING & YEAR 6 TRANSITION DAYS
Wairau Intermediate School will be holding open days during school hours on Wednesday 12 September and Thursday 13 September and an open evening on Thursday 13 September from 7.00-8.30pm. Current Year 6 children and their parents / caregivers are invited to visit the school during these times. Enrolment packs will be available at the open days and evening and can also be obtained by phoning the Wairau Intermediate School Office on 410 7805. Our enrolment week is Monday 17 – Friday 21 September during school hours. Year 6 students from our main contributing schools will be attending transition days in August. Should you wish your child to come along and join in on one of these visits, this can be arranged by phoning the school office on 410 7805.
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.