Windy Ridge School Newsletter
30 May 2018
Term 2 Week 5
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from Jenine Maxwell & Inge Millard Acting Principals
Nga mihi nui, Tena koutou, tena koutou, tena koutou katoa
This week, as part of our response to the Community Survey, we will look at:
Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
Windy Ridge is a PB4L school. This means we have a range of structures and practices in place to support behaviour and learning, from schoolwide as well as an individual child respective. As part of the programme we have identified four values that we consider to be integral to our student’s learning and behaiour. They are:
- Manaakitanga – Respect
- Atawhai – Kindness
- Honore – Integrity
- Manawaroa – Resilience
Through PB4L School-Wide, we have begun to develop a culture where positive behaviour and learning is a way of life. Children receive regular class lessons detailing our school expectations in terms of our values. The values are considered as they relate to a range of settings across the school, including: the classroom, the playground, lunch eating areas, the hall, the library, the office, etc. These lessons are reinforced at fortnightly Values Assemblies so that the message is both consistent and embedded.
To help support implementation of the PB4L framework, we freely and frequently acknowledge and reinforce the use of our values in various settings. Students may be given verbal feedback, or a reward in the form of a dojo point or a token. Tokens count as house points, and students add them to their house tally. Our Windy Ridge School Houses are:
- Kauri (Blue)
- Rata (Red)
- Rimu (Green)
- Totara (Yellow)
Where children choose not to follow school expectations, their behaviour is noted and they are supported to change the way that they interact with others. We are pleased to say that at Windy Ridge, our values and expectations are well understood across the school, and carried out by the majority of students in a deliberate and confident manner.
This year our focus is on developing a more robust toolkit of classroom strategies for our teachers to use in response to minor behaviour and developing ways in which we can roll out our school values into the wider community. You might like to practice using our values at home. A copy of our PB4L matrix can be found here: Windy Ridge School-Wide Behaviour Matrix
Paid Union Meeting – Reminder
On Tuesday 19th June, teachers across New Zealand are attending a Union Meeting at 2pm to discuss recent negotiations with the Government.
Although the school will not be closed, I strongly encourage you to seek alternative care for your child in the afternoon or ask that you collect them from school at 1:00pm. The after school care programme at Windy Ridge will be open for bookings. There will be a skeleton staff of one teacher and the office staff at school to cope with any emergencies.
A more detailed letter will be sent home tomorrow.
Queens Birthday – next Monday 4th June is a public holiday and the school will be closed for the day.
- Tread Lightly Caravan – will be visiting our school on Monday 25th June to Thursday 28th June, see attached notice for more information Tread Lightly Caravan All students will be attending classes in the hall during this week.
- Team Pukeko Zoo Trip – On Thursday 14th June Team Pukeko are visiting the Auckland Zoo. Team Pukeko Zoo Trip
- Team Tui Camp – Carey Park Camp, Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th September – Please return permission forms and payment slips to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp
- Swimming Lessons – Teams Tui & Fantail swimming skills, water confidence and safety skills at the Glenfield Leisure Centre. Please pay online through the KINDO shop or cash to the office. Team Fantail – Swimming Lessons – Team Tui – Swimming Lessons Teams Pukeko & Falcon will receive their lessons later in the year. Team Fantail will be having their lessons from 9.30am and returning to school at 11am and Team Tui’s lessons start from 10.30am and they return to school at 12.30pm.
- Assembly Day Change: Assemblies are now on Wednesdays this term as Teams Tui & Fantail are at their swimming lessons on Fridays. Week 6’s Assembly will be on Wednesday 6th June and starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Deputy Principals Jenine Maxwell and Inge Millard and board chairperson Caroline Hudson. Assembly Timetable – Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Tui and Week 10 – Leadership
- Reading Eggs & Mathletics – For more information about these online programs that we recommend for home and classroom use follow these links or talk to your child’s class teacher. nz.mathletics.com/home/primary – readingeggs.co.nz/about/parents/ To subscribe please complete the attached forms and return to the office – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 1 & 2 – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 3-6
- Pacifica & Kapa Haka Groups – Junior Kapa Haka will now be on every Wednesday lunchtime from 1pm with Ms Bendall, this is for all years 0 to 2 students. The Pacifica group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm. The Kapa Haka group for years 3 to 6 is on Friday afternoons from 1.45pm to 2.45pm. Regular Happenings and Groups
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/user_home.shtml?session=false&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 2 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes –
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ezlunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information is available at the office. Ezlunch Term 2 Menu
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17/12 TBC
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10 (School Closed)
- PTA Chocolate Fundraiser – today your child will have brought home a box of Whittaker’s chocolates. The PTA committee would really love you to sell these chocolates in order to raise valuable funds for our school. Any queries regarding the selling of the chocolates, please contact a PTA member through the school office.
- Entertainment Book Fundraiser –Hey all! We have connected with the Entertainment Book to help fundraise for the school. This book/app is amazing! I save way above the cost of the book in no time (last year it was within one 2 week school holiday) Available in book form or app (i recommend the app!) Purchase through this link before the 15th March and receive 2x Movie Tickets. Share far and wide – any purchase a % comes to the school ($14 from the Auckland ones) https://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/orderbooks/992s96
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.