Windy Ridge School Newsletter
9 May 2018
Term 2 Week 2
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from Jenine Maxwell & Inge Millard Acting Principals
Pink Shirt Day
On Friday 18 May, 2018 we would like students to wear something pink and to bring along a gold coin donation. The money raised will help to grow the Pink Shirt movement. If you would like to know more please visit the Pink Shirt Day website.
Pink Shirt Day is about working together to stop bullying by celebrating diversity and promoting positive social relationships.
It’s about creating a community where all people feel safe, valued and respected, regardless of age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, or cultural background.
Wear pink on Pink Shirt Day to make a statement that your school is committed to stopping bullying!
Cut Logs – We are endeavoring to get the logs that were left from the trees that were cut down removed. Until then please make sure children do not play on these as they are unstable and unsafe. Please contact the office if you are interested in some firewood.
Just a reminder to be aware of where you park when dropping off or collecting your child from school. Please think of our neighbours and allowing them access to their driveways. Remember there is no parking available in the school grounds. We are waiting for the council to approve the painting of yellow lines around the corners of the intersections of Seaview Road with Glencourt Place and Tamahere Drive , so please do not park there. New Zealand Road Transport Rules state that you must park a minimum of 6 metres from an intersection. https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-driving/where-not-to-park/
- Visit the website http://windyridge.schooldocs.co.nz/1893.htm
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
If you don’t have internet access, school office staff can provide you with printed copies of the policy and a review form.
Travel Wise Road Safety Week
At School – We will be discussing road safety with the children, in an assembly and /or classroom workshop. We will talk about using roads safely; about the dangers of fast traffic; about how seat belts and child seats help to protect us; and about how walking and cycling is good for our health and the environment. Brake the road safety charity are running a national road safety poster competition, children will be designing posters reminding adults and children to always wear a seat belt or sit in their child seat when in the car.
At home: Please help us make local roads safer by reinforcing the same clear messages at home! In particular, we ask you to:
- always ensure your child is in a child seat appropriate for their height and weight, until they are 148cm tall
- cross roads safely with your child
- make sure your child holds an adult’s hand around roads until they are at least eight
- help your child learn about safe walking/cycling routes in the areas, especially traffic-free paths or quiet roads with slow traffic and good pavements
- always wear your seat belt when your’re in a vehicle, whether you are the driver or a passenger
Enviro Team News
Plastic Straws – The Enviro Team talked at assembly and showed a video about the damage plastic straws are causing to the environment and marine animals. They have asked us to try to say “ No” to plastic straws!! The alternative is to use a stainless reusable straw, a paper one or best of all no straw at all.
- Team Tui Camp – Carey Park Camp, Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th September – Please return permission forms and payment slips to the office. Team-Tui-Carey-Park-Camp
- Team Falcon Zoo Trip – Auckland Zoo, Wednesday 23rd May – Please return the permission slip and payment to the office. Team Falcon Zoo Trip
- Swimming Lessons – Teams Tui & Fantail swimming skills, water confidence and safety skills at the Glenfield Leisure Centre. Please pay online through the KINDO shop or cash to the office. Team Fantail – Swimming Lessons – Team Tui – Swimming Lessons Teams Pukeko & Falcon will receive their lessons later in the year. Team Fantail will be having their lessons from 9.30am and returning to school at 11am and Team Tui’s lessons start from 10.30am and they return to school at 12.30pm.
- Assembly Day Change: Assemblies are now on Wednesdays this term as Teams Tui & Fantail are at their swimming lessons on Fridays. Week 4’s Assembly will be on Wednesday 23rd May and starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Deputy Principals Jenine Maxwell and Inge Millard and board chairperson Caroline Hudson. Assembly Timetable – Week 4 – Team Fantail, Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Tui and Week 10 – Leadership
- Reading Eggs & Mathletics – For more information about these online programs that we recommend for home and classroom use follow these links or talk to your child’s class teacher. nz.mathletics.com/home/primary – readingeggs.co.nz/about/parents/ To subscribe please complete the attached forms and return to the office – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 1 & 2 – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 3-6
- Scholastic Book Orders – This Friday is the last day for placing a book order.
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/
user_home.shtml?session=false& shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/ handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy% 20Ridge%20School
- Pacifica & Kapa Haka Groups – The Pacifica group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm. The Kapa Haka group for years 3 to 6 is on Friday afternoons from 1.45pm to 2.45pm.
- Regular Happenings & Groups Term 2 – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups (1)
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community, please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached the link to the Ministry of Education parent information website with more information. https://parents.education.govt.nz/primary-school/wellbeing/head-lice/
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ezlunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information is available at the office. Ezlunch Term 2 Menu
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17/12 TBC
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10
- Entertainment Book Fundraiser –Hey all! We have connected with the Entertainment Book to help fundraise for the school. This book/app is amazing! I save way above the cost of the book in no time (last year it was within one 2 week school holiday) Available in book form or app (i recommend the app!) Purchase through this link before the 15th March and receive 2x Movie Tickets. Share far and wide – any purchase a % comes to the school ($14 from the Auckland ones) https://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/orderbooks/992s96
FRI 30 MAR TO SUN 13 MAY 2018, SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS HALL
LEGO® lovers look out! Ryan McNaught (aka Brickman), one of only fourteen LEGO Certified Professionals globally, will bring some of the world’s most iconic landmarks and masterpieces made exclusively from LEGO bricks to Auckland Museum in one month, just in time for the school holidays.
Discover 50 LEGO masterpieces that will be on display including the Taj Mahal, Michelangelo’s Statue of David, The Great Wall of China, the Empire State Building (complete with King Kong), the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Arc de Triomphe.
Book your tickets now to ensure you can experience the wonders of the world in LEGO at Auckland Museum!
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.