Windy Ridge School Newsletter
2nd May 2018
Term 2 Week 1
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from Jenine Maxwell & Inge Millard Acting Principals
This term, while Brenda is on a study sabbatical, we are sharing her responsibilities between us. In order to share out our D.P roles we have organised for our Team Leaders to have a day each week on release. If you require a meeting concerning your child’s learning or behaviour you are welcome to book in a time to meet with the Team Leader concerned on their release day.
Monday – Sarah Turner, Team Fantail – [email protected]
Tuesday – Bernie Mahoney, Team Falcon – [email protected]
Thursday – Jane Brown, Team Tui – [email protected]
Friday – Heike Micheel, Team Pukeko – [email protected]
Property – New Classrooms
You’ll have been very excited I’m sure to note that the students and teachers from Room 5 and 15 have moved into their new classrooms. Not before time! Over the next few days we will be setting up the ESOL classroom and the Learning Support Room. We’ve been looking forward to accommodating not only our classroom programmes, but also having room for our specialised programmes. Full steam ahead for the rest of the year!
Just a reminder to be aware of where you park when dropping off or collecting your child from school. Please think of our neighbours and allowing them access to their driveways. Remember there is no parking available in the school grounds. We are waiting for the council to approve the painting of yellow lines around the corners of the intersections of Seaview Road with Glencourt Place and Tamahere Drive , so please do not park there. New Zealand Road Transport Rules state that you must park a minimum of 6 metres from an intersection. https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-driving/where-not-to-park/
A huge thank you to Stef Gruhler and his crew for their skill and determination, both excavating the hillside and in building the retaining wall in our Junior Playground area. This task was carried out in shocking weather conditions. What a massive job! Thanks also to Kidd Contracting, who carted away truckloads of fill from the area for free. We are almost ready for the playground installation in June.
The new Monkey Bars in the senior playground have now been installed and are a big favourite with the senior students, the second area will be ready in the next week or two once we install boxing and cushion fall. Please keep off this area in the interim as it is not safe. The Student Council did a presentation to the BoT based on their student survey feedback and were successful in getting the Monkey Bars approved. Thank you to all those who helped to make this happen.
Remember that our first Assembly is next Wednesday 9th May at 9.45am. It is Team Pukeko’s Assembly and Cake day for Rooms 5 & 6. We will have a parents meeting at 9:00am in the staffroom which you are welcome to attend followed by the assembly at 9:45am
Firewood – as you may have noticed we have had a lot of tree management work done in the holidays, some of this wood will be available for sale once the large logs have been cut up. For health and safety reasons we ask that you do not attempt to handle or remove the wood from the school grounds without contacting the office.
“Welcome to Term 2. What a busy term it will be and we know that the staff have many exciting and interesting activities planned for the term. A big thank you to everyone who completed the community survey late last year. The comments have been collated and summarised and action plans are being put together by the management team. The staff also completed a survey and similar action is being taken. With our Principal away on sabbatical leave for the term, Jenine Maxwell and Inge Millard are stepping up to fill the role, and we have every confidence that they will do a great job and ensure the smooth running of our school. As a Board, we will be there to support them when needed. Have a great week –
- Swimming Lessons – Starting this Friday 4th May, week 1. Teams Tui & Fantail will be receiving 10 lessons in swimming skills, water confidence and safety skills at the Glenfield Leisure Centre. Please pay online through the KINDO shop or cash to the office. Team Fantail – Swimming Lessons – Team Tui – Swimming Lessons Teams Pukeko & Falcon will receive their lessons later in the year. Team Fantail will be having their lessons from 9.30am and returning to school at 11am and Team Tui’s lessons start from 10.30am and they return to school at 12.30pm.
- Assembly Day Change: Assemblies are now on Wednesdays this term as Teams Tui & Fantail are at their swimming lessons on Fridays. Week 2 Assembly will be on Wednesday 9th May and starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Deputy Principals Jenine Maxwell and Inge Millard and board chairperson Caroline Hudson. Assembly Timetable – Week 2 – Team Pukeko, Week 4 – Team Fantail, Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Tui and Week 10 – Leadership
- Reading Eggs & Mathletics – For more information about these online programs that we recommend for home and classroom use follow these links or talk to your child’s class teacher. nz.mathletics.com/home/primary – readingeggs.co.nz/about/parents/ To subscribe please complete the attached forms and return to the office – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 1 & 2 – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 3-6
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, these are not compulsory but help support the school and are tax deductible. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/
user_home.shtml?session=false& shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/ handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy% 20Ridge%20School
- Pacifica & Kapa Haka Groups – The Pacifica group for all years is on every Wednesday afternoon from 2pm to 3pm. The Kapa Haka group for years 3 to 6 is on Friday afternoons from 1.45pm to 2.45pm.
- Regular Happenings & Groups – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings and Groups
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have four Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the term.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community and we have noticed a recent increase in cases. Please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached this information sheet with some handy advice – Head Lice Notice
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06 (School Closed)
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17/12 TBC
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10
- Cake Day – Rooms 5 & 6 will be selling yummy cakes and biscuits next Wednesday 9th May at morning tea, these can be purchased for a donation of $1.
- Entertainment Book Fundraiser –Hey all! We have connected with the Entertainment Book to help fundraise for the school. This book/app is amazing! I save way above the cost of the book in no time (last year it was within one 2 week school holiday) Available in book form or app (i recommend the app!) Purchase through this link before the 15th March and receive 2x Movie Tickets. Share far and wide – any purchase a % comes to the school ($14 from the Auckland ones) https://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/orderbooks/992s96
FRI 30 MAR TO SUN 13 MAY 2018, SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS HALL
LEGO® lovers look out! Ryan McNaught (aka Brickman), one of only fourteen LEGO Certified Professionals globally, will bring some of the world’s most iconic landmarks and masterpieces made exclusively from LEGO bricks to Auckland Museum in one month, just in time for the school holidays.
Discover 50 LEGO masterpieces that will be on display including the Taj Mahal, Michelangelo’s Statue of David, The Great Wall of China, the Empire State Building (complete with King Kong), the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Arc de Triomphe.
Book your tickets now to ensure you can experience the wonders of the world in LEGO at Auckland Museum!
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.