Windy Ridge School Newsletter
11th April 2018
Term 1 Week 11
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
- Swimming Lessons – Next term, starting on Friday 4th May, week 1. Teams Tui & Fantail will be receiving 10 lessons in swimming skills, water confidence and safety skills at the Glenfield Leisure Centre. Please pay online through the KINDO shop or cash to the office. Team Fantail – Swimming Lessons – Team Tui – Swimming Lessons Teams Pukeko & Falcon will receive their lessons later in the year.
- Assembly Day Change: Assembly will be changing days to Wednesdays next term as Teams Tui & Fantail are at their swimming lessons on Fridays. Week 2 Assembly will be on Wednesday 9th May and starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Deputy Principals Jenine Maxwell and Inge Millard and board chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Reading Eggs & Mathletics – For more information about these online programs that we recommend for home and classroom use follow these links or talk to your child’s class teacher. nz.mathletics.com/home/primary – readingeggs.co.nz/about/parents/ To subscribe please complete the attached forms and return to the office – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 1 & 2 – Mathletics & Reading Eggs Yr 3-6
- School Donation – Thank you to all our families who have made their donation, If you would like to donate before the end of this term we are offering a $20 discount. School Donation 2018
- Donation Receipts – Kindo is now sending out the receipts you need to claim the tax back on your school donation. If you pay your donation now through Kindo, you will receive a PDF attachment to your normal Kindo emailed receipt – please print this and hold on to it for your tax return. Kindo will also be sending out receipts for those of you who have paid a School Donation via myKindo prior to now – please look out for this. Shortly you will also be able to access copies of these from your myKindo online account (on the ‘my orders’ page). To pay your donation now, you can use our Kindo link below…Login https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/
user_home.shtml?session=false& shop=Windy%20Ridge%20School or create a new account https://shop.tgcl.co.nz/shop/ handshake.shtml?&shop=Windy% 20Ridge%20School
- Pacifica & Kapa Haka Groups – The Pacifica group has moved to Wednesday afternoons from 2pm to 3pm as the Kapa Haka group for years 3 to 6 will be taking place on Friday afternoons from 1.45pm to 2.45pm.
- Updated – Regular Happenings & Groups – We have updated this form with some recent day and time changes – Regular Happenings & Groups 2018
- Ideas for Home Learning – At our recent Meet the Teacher evening we shared some homework suggestions, copies are also available from the office. Ideas for Home Learning
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have three Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the next few weeks.
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Head Lice – Unfortunately these are very common in the community and we have noticed a recent increase in cases. Please check your child’s hair regularly. We have attached this information sheet with some handy advice – Head Lice Notice
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
- Music Lessons – John Casson from MusiqHub is now offering music lessons in Guitar & Ukulele at our school starting from next Monday 26th March from 9.30am, see the attached notice for more information. John Casson Flyer
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17/12 TBC
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10
- End of Term Sausage Sizzle – Tomorrow Thursday 12th April, please return order slips with payment to the office by 9am Thursday. Sausage Sizzle Notice
- Entertainment Book Fundraiser –Hey all! We have connected with the Entertainment Book to help fundraise for the school. This book/app is amazing! I save way above the cost of the book in no time (last year it was within one 2 week school holiday) Available in book form or app (i recommend the app!) Purchase through this link before the 15th March and receive 2x Movie Tickets. Share far and wide – any purchase a % comes to the school ($14 from the Auckland ones) https://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/orderbooks/992s96
M Sports April Holiday Football Camp at Devonport Primary using Inflatable pitch
M Sports holiday programmes are suitable for children aged 5 to 12. The week is full of exciting games and tournaments. Enjoy our unique Inflatable Football pitches. Our team of highly qualified staff will ensure your kids have a ball!!
Holiday Camp Details
Venue: Devonport Primary School
Week 1: 16 to 20 April
Week 2: 23, 24, 26 & 27 April (no camp on Anzac Day)
– 9am to 12pm $19 per day, $69 for 4 days (week 2), $89 for 5 days,
– 9am to 3pm $35 per day, $129 for 4 days (week 2) or $149 for 5 days
Register Your Child:
Go to footykids.m-sports.org, click ‘programmes’, ‘holiday programmes’, then ‘book now’ at the bottom of the page. Book your child’s place now as numbers are limited.
Hobsonville School – Wednesday 18th – Friday 20th April
Churchill Park School – Thursday 26th – Saturday 28th April
Learn to Draw and Paint (for ages 7 – 12yrs)
Kids that love drawing and painting keep coming back to these School Holiday One-Day Workshops and After-School Art classes with step-by-step guidance from artist Eion Bryant.
ONE-DAY WORKSHOP: April 24th, 10.00am – 3.00pm, Highbury House, Birkenhead, cost $50.
AFTER-SCHOOL ARTISTS: Tuesdays, 3.30 – 5.00pm for 4 weeks starting May 1, cost $74.
Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org, ph. 483 6703
TAPAC’s April Holiday Programmes run by practising industry professionals are now open for enrolment on www.tapac.org.nz!
We have 12 programmes for children and teens (aged 5-16 Years) running from Saturday 14 – Friday 27 April. There are 2-day, 3-day, full week and weekend workshops, as well as many new programmes across all artistic genres including “Screenwriting”, “Comedy and Improvisation” and “Make A Film”.
FRI 30 MAR TO SUN 13 MAY 2018, SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS HALL
LEGO® lovers look out! Ryan McNaught (aka Brickman), one of only fourteen LEGO Certified Professionals globally, will bring some of the world’s most iconic landmarks and masterpieces made exclusively from LEGO bricks to Auckland Museum in one month, just in time for the school holidays.
Discover 50 LEGO masterpieces that will be on display including the Taj Mahal, Michelangelo’s Statue of David, The Great Wall of China, the Empire State Building (complete with King Kong), the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Arc de Triomphe.
Book your tickets now to ensure you can experience the wonders of the world in LEGO at Auckland Museum!
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.