Windy Ridge School Newsletter
February 21st 2018
Term 1 Week 4
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Self management is a key goal of being an ‘Active Learner’.
|School Assembly||Prefects/Principal||Friday 9.45 am – fortnightly (even weeks), Hall||All students|
|Values Assembly||PB4L team||Monday 9am – odd weeks||All students|
|Mandarin (Y3-6)||Mandarin Language Assistant – Baoshan||Thursdays – timetabled classes||Year 3 – 6|
|Pasifika Group||Pops Mariner||Thursdays 2.30 – 3.30pm||All students|
|Senior Kapa Haka||Donna Walker||Wednesdays 1.00 – 1.30pm |
|Year 4 – 6|
|Junior Kapa Haka||Lynley Bendall||Tuesdays 1.00 – 1.30pm |
STARTING TERM 2
|Year 0 – 3|
|Coding Club||Carolyn Blackett, Olivier Fransolet, Mel Belcher||Tuesday Mornings 8.00 – 8.50 am||Year 5 – 6|
|Choir/Singing||Caroline Andrews||Friday 1.00 – 1.30pm|
|Year 3 – 6|
|Aerobics||Inge Millard||Monday 1.00 – 1.30 |
|Year 5 – 6|
|PMP – movement programme||Nicola Tyler||Tues and Thurs 2-3pm, Hall||Year 0 – 1|
|Dance Group||Angela Hall||Monday 12.30 – 1.00 pm|
|Year 2 – 4|
|Music Lessons **||MusiqHub tutors||To be confirmed|
|Thursdays 12.30 – 1.00 weekly|
|All year levels but|
** extra cost involved (check with office for details)
Regular Happenings and Groups – here is a copy of the chart if you want to put it on the fridge at home.
- Team Fantail Trip – Tomorrow, Thursday 22nd February see the attached flyer for more information. Team Fantail Clip&Climb Trip
- Team Tui EOTC – Year 6’s and selected Year 5’s will be staying at an overnight camp in Tawharanui on 21st & 22nd March see attached flyer for more information. EOTC Tawharanui – Year 5’s will visit the Zoo on the 2st March and Rotoroa Island on the 10th April see attached flyer for more information. EOTC Rotoroa Island & Zoo
- Assemblies for this term: Week 4 – Team Pukeko, Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Fantail, Week 10 – Inquiry presentations. Assembly starts at 9.45am, prior to this we have a coffee and chat for parents in the staffroom from 9am with our Principal Brenda McPherson and board chairperson Caroline Hudson.
- Resilient and Confident Kids presentation – March 21st, 7-9 pm Tea/Coffee from 6.15pm Tickets online at KidsLink Event WRS
- Parking – We have begun the year with a higher than normal number of parents dropping off and/or picking their children up from school. This has led to heavy demand for parking spaces and some crazier than usual maneuvers. Please respect the rules of the road (including the 40km speed limit) and restrictions on parking (including the 10 min parking zone out the front, no parking between the signs out the back and NO parking in the school car parks).Of course, in line with our Travelwise policy, we promote our students (especially from Year 3 up) walking to school. We have three Walking School Buses and children who live further from school can be dropped off a distance from the school so that they can complete their journey to school by foot. Our Travelwise Students will be promoting active, safe travel to school over the next few weeks.
- Sun Safety – Just a reminder that children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9.00am each day. You can either telephone the office and leave an absence message or go online to the school website and use the Report an absence tab. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch available all days of the week now. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- School Library – The library will be open from week 3 from 8.30am to 8.55am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings and during lunchtime. The students will also get to visit once a week with their classes.
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
WAITANGI DAY – Tuesday 6/02
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17/12 TBC
LABOUR DAY – Monday 22/10
- Families In Parks – This Friday 23rd February the Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust will be in the school grounds with fun activities for all ages from 5pm to 7pm. Bring a picnic dinner, the PTA will be selling sausages and drinks. See the attached flyer for more event dates in your local community 2018_summer
- AGM meeting – Wednesday 28 February 2018. Come along to the PTA Annual General Meeting to here about the year been. We will be nominating a new chairperson, secretary and treasurer. Meeting will be at 7.30pm in the school staffroom, all welcome refreshments provided.
Free Books for Schools – We need your help
Mrs Ogden has signed us up to the Free Books in Schools with the Kellogg’s promotion. If you shop at New World and purchase a nominated Kellogg’s products then you can go online and select Windy Ridge School.
We can win up to 20 free books so please get your friends and families involved too.
- Step 1 – purchase any Kellogg product with the Free Book artwork on it.
- Step 2 – Register on freebooks.kelloggs.com (you’ll only need to do this once)
- Step 3 – Upload your receipt
- Step 4 – Select your school to receive the book pack
You are done! Thanks for helping us while you shop!
Beach Haven Birkdale Fun Run and Walk
Sunday March 11 – 10.30am – Shepherds Park
Put the date in your diary for a fun filled morning with spot prizes, certificates for every
participant and activities for the whole family before during and after the event.
Gold coin donation raising money towards connecting our parks and making our coastal
walkways more beautiful!!
5km and 1km Courses to choose from
Like us on Facebook – Beach Haven Fun Run
www.beachhavenfunrun.co.nz to register now
Register online by the 8th March and be in the draw to win a $50 Glenfield Mall voucher!
AFTER SCHOOL ART CLASSES – A fun and focused 6-week program for children aged 7 – 12yrs.
With step-by-step guidance students will explore methods and techniques useful for developing skills in drawing and acrylic painting.
Tuesdays in Birkenhead, 3.30pm – 5.00pm starting Feb 27. Cost $110
Bookings: email email@example.com, ph. 09 483 6703
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.