Windy Ridge School Newsletter
November 15th 2017
Term 4 Week 5
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
- Tui Team – year 5 and 6
- Falcon Team – year 3 and 4
- Pukeko Team – year 1 and 2
- Fantail Team – year 0 and 1
Pasifica – Pacific Islands Cultural Group
- ESOL Performance – On Thursday 23rd November at 11am the ESOL students who attend classes with Mrs Millard, Mrs Walker & Mrs Stevens are inviting their families to a special performance followed by a shared lunch. The invitations will be arriving home this week. ESOL Invitation
- Team Pukeko Trip – Monday 27th November Team Pukeko – Auckland Transport Trip
- Hell Reading Challenge – Our school is participating in the Hell Reading Challenge, which is being run in conjunction with the 2017 NZ Book Awards for Children. Hell Reading Challenge
- Assemblies for this term: Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Pukeko, Week 9 – Prizegiving & Yr 6 Graduation.
- Digital Citizenship WRS: Here are a couple of clips that may be helpful to watch with your family. Netsmartzkids RBS – The Movie and Brainpop Internet Safety Fun
- School Athletics Day – Friday 1st December Teams Pukeko, Falcon and Tui will start their activities after morning tea at 11.15am.Team Fantail Students: As this is the first experience of competing in an Athletics Day for most of our children, we will be holding our own smaller field competition during the morning block of that day and then joining in with the rest of the school after lunch for the track running events. If your child will be 6 on this date, and you would like them to take part in the larger school competition, please inform one of the Fantail teachers and we will arrange for this.
- School Prizegiving Assembly – 11th December 11 am start
- Sun Safety – This term all children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
- Scholastic Lucky Book Club – brochures were sent home yesterday with students, copies are available in the office. Orders can be placed online by visiting www.scholastic.co.nz/LOOP to register and order. Final day for placing orders will be Friday 24th November. Please advise the office if you would like us to hold the books as a gift.
School Terms 2017
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 15th Dec at 12.30pm
- Families in the Park – Friday 1st December on the school fields from 4pm to 6pm, thanks to the Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust we will be hosting this event. See the attached flyer for more local summer events 2016summer. The PTA will be selling sausages and drinks.
- Disco – Friday 1st December 5.30pm to 7.30pm in the school hall, a notice will be coming home next week.
Santa is coming to Snowplanet!
That’s right, our Christmas Festival Day is just around the corner, come and join us for a day of activities, festivities and the chance to see the big man himself! Christmas Festival Day is all set for Saturday 18th of November to kick off the silly season. Santa will be arriving at 11am, and our festive activities will be running between 10am – 3pm. Family visits to Santa start 11:45am till 4:45pm.
Keep the kids entertained with face painting, balloon sculpting and festive craft activities while you relax with a coffee in our 7 Summits Restaurant & Bar. Our photographer will capture all your memories with Santa on a Snowplanet USB and one printed photo to take home! After spending time in the castle, whizz down our festive themed tubing track among snow-capped trees, but don’t forget to dress warm, it’s -5 degrees in the snow!
Santa will be here every day from the 18th of November till Christmas Eve. Bookings are essential, so make sure you get in quick, as spaces are beginning to fill up fast!
Don’t miss out on seeing Santa in his Magic Castle – an experience not to forget!
Edventure Summer Camps. WIN A SURFBOARD!!!
For ages 5 – 15 at Westlake Boys High School in Minecraft, Coding in Scratch or Python, Creating 3D Games, Web Design, Animation, Video Editing or Build a PC and if young the Discovery Computer Class. For further information call 488 0787 or visit grandtraining.co.nz
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.