Windy Ridge School Newsletter
November 1st 2017
Term 4 Week 3
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Term 4 Inquiry
This term our classes are investigating ways that we go about “Sharing the Planet” . This will look different in each room and at each level dependent on the interests and knowledge of the students.
- Setting the Scene
- Targeting the information
- Exploring new ideas
- Presenting findings and new learning.
- So what? What does this mean for us and our community?
Inquiry is about getting students “from knowledge to understanding” – to see how their knowledge can be applied to a real life situation that makes changes that benefit themselves and others. The social action part of the process can be as simple as seeing a need within our school right through to petitioning the local council or writing a letter to the newspaper. Understanding that they have a voice and being encouraged to use it is a first step towards participating in our democracy.
- Craig Smith – Author Visit – Next Thursday Craig Smith author of the Wonky Donkey book will visit the school and present his new book and some of his other songs and stories. Wonky Donkey
- Hell Reading Challenge – Our school is participating in the Hell Reading Challenge, which is being run in conjunction with the 2017 NZ Book Awards for Children. Hell Reading Challenge
- Assemblies for this term: Week 4 – Team Fantail, Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Pukeko, Week 9 – Prizegiving & Yr 6 Graduation.
- Digital Citizenship WRS: Here are a couple of clips that may be helpful to watch with your family. Netsmartzkids RBS – The Movie and Brainpop Internet Safety Fun
- Team Tui EOTC: Year 5 & 6 students will be participating in education outside the classroom in week 3. Team Tui Year 5 & 6 EOTC
- School Athletics Day – Friday 1st December from 11.15am
- School Prizegiving Assembly – 11th December 11 am start
- Cans for Good – This year Windy Ridge School will be participating in Wattie’s Cans for Good! It is a national can ‘collection, creation, education and donation’ campaign run by The Salvation Army in partnership with Wattie’s for New Zealand schools. Thanks to the incredible efforts of the 200 schools who participated in 2016, more than 92,000 cans were donated to Salvation Army foodbanks – restocking shelves in the high demand period leading up to Christmas. This year they hope to collect more than 100,000 cans. With Wattie’s donating a further 25,000 cans, this will make an incredible boost to local Salvation Army food banks at a critical time of year. We would be grateful for any contribution you can make. We will collect cans up until November 3rd when we will work to create a fun image with the cans before taking them to our local Glenfield Salvation Army. If you have any questions please email Mrs Turner [email protected] We thank you in advance for your help.
- Sun Safety – This term all children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
School Terms 2017
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 15th Dec at 12.30pm
- Mums Movie Night – The WRS PTA presents Girls Night Out – A Bad Moms Christmas, Thursday 2nd November at 7.15pm Hoyts Wairau Cinema 6. Tickets $15 from the office. PTA Movie Night
Glenfield Intermediate boys school shorts for sale only worn 2 terms
Navy blue – Size 10 – Excellent condition
Purchased from NZ Uniforms @ $55 per pair
Sell for $15 per pair
Phone (09) 443 0329
Mobile 027 2644490
PARENTING ANXIOUS TEENS & TWEENS – Term 4
Enrolments: [email protected] or 441 8989
More details can be found on our website.
Birkdale North Music Centre Open Day
YOUNG AT ART – AFTER SCHOOL ART CLASSES (5yrs-15yrs) are open for bookings for Term 4 – FREE TRIALS AVAILABLE! Classes in Beach Haven and lots of other venues across Auckland. Inspire and encourage your young creative while they have fun learning technique and theory along the way. For more information and bookings or to talk to us about a FREE TRIAL please check out www.youngatart.co.nz or email: [email protected]
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.