Windy Ridge School Newsletter
October 25th 2017
Term 4 Week 2
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Employers are looking for people who show creativity, initiative and can organise themselves independently to get a job done. You can teach the context-specific knowledge to a person in your workplace – what is harder to teach or change is attitude and commitment. In a world where you can find the answer to most questions in 1.8 seconds via Google, there seems little point in filling our heads with facts. What is far more important is knowing what the question is, how to find the answer and then what to do with that piece of information to make it useful to yourself and others. While there will always be a need for students to have functional literacy and numeracy, schools are not able to prepare them for specific jobs, as the market is constantly evolving in response to new innovations and technologies. School leavers need to be able to manage conflict and disagreement, make quality considered decisions, give and receive critical feedback, and agree to a shared set of behaviours and expectations. These soft skills are important to being successful in the adult world, and are reinforced in the Key Competencies contained in our NZ Curriculum document.
I was very proud to see some of our ex-WRS students, and also the Glenfield College students who have come here as part of the work experience, and proud to work in a community that values a range of pathways for young adults as they move beyond school life.
- Hell Reading Challenge – Our school is participating in the Hell Reading Challenge, which is being run in conjunction with the 2017 NZ Book Awards for Children. Hell Reading Challenge
- Assemblies for this term: Week 2 – Team Tui, Week 4 – Team Fantail, Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Pukeko, Week 9 – Prizegiving & Yr 6 Graduation.
- Digital Citizenship WRS: Here are a couple of clips that may be helpful to watch with your family. Netsmartzkids RBS – The Movie and Brainpop Internet Safety Fun
- Team Tui EOTC: Year 5 & 6 students will be participating in education outside the classroom in week 3. Team Tui Year 5 & 6 EOTC
- School Reunion (50 Years) – 27 and 28 October – see the Facebook page for more information – Windy Ridge Reunion
- School Athletics Day – Friday 1st December from 11.15am
- School Prizegiving Assembly – 11th December 11 am start
- Cans for Good – This year Windy Ridge School will be participating in Wattie’s Cans for Good! It is a national can ‘collection, creation, education and donation’ campaign run by The Salvation Army in partnership with Wattie’s for New Zealand schools. Thanks to the incredible efforts of the 200 schools who participated in 2016, more than 92,000 cans were donated to Salvation Army foodbanks – restocking shelves in the high demand period leading up to Christmas. This year they hope to collect more than 100,000 cans. With Wattie’s donating a further 25,000 cans, this will make an incredible boost to local Salvation Army food banks at a critical time of year. We would be grateful for any contribution you can make. We will collect cans up until November 3rd when we will work to create a fun image with the cans before taking them to our local Glenfield Salvation Army. If you have any questions please email Mrs Turner firstname.lastname@example.org We thank you in advance for your help.
- Sun Safety – This term all children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Other visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property – please see the office or the hall kitchen for any lost items, please remember to name all clothing and hats.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
School Terms 2017
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
- Mums Movie Night – The WRS PTA presents Girls Night Out – A Bad Moms Christmas, Thursday 2nd November at 7.15pm Hoyts Wairau Cinema 6. Tickets $15 from the office. PTA Movie Night
YOUNG AT ART – AFTER SCHOOL ART CLASSES (5yrs-15yrs) are open for bookings for Term 4 – FREE TRIALS AVAILABLE! Classes in Beach Haven and lots of other venues across Auckland. Inspire and encourage your young creative while they have fun learning technique and theory along the way. For more information and bookings or to talk to us about a FREE TRIAL please check out www.youngatart.co.nz or email: email@example.com
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.