Windy Ridge School Newsletter
October 18th 2017
Term 4 Week 1
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
- Chinese Cultural Performance – Team Tui & Falcon rooms 9 – 14 are visiting the Glenfield Intermediate to watch a special cultural performance tomorrow Thursday. Please return the attached form and $2 to the office by tomorrow morning. Cultural Performance
- Hell Reading Challenge – Our school is participating in the Hell Reading Challenge, which is being run in conjunction with the 2017 NZ Book Awards for Children. A flyer was sent home yesterday with more information. Hell Reading Challenge
- Assemblies for this term: Week 2 – Team Tui, Week 4 – Team Fantail, Week 6 – Team Falcon, Week 8 – Team Pukeko, Week 10 – Prizegiving & Yr 6 Graduation.
- Digital Citizenship WRS: Here are a couple of clips that may be helpful to watch with your family. Netsmartzkids RBS – The Movie and Brainpop Internet Safety Fun
- PhotoLife Class & Portrait Photographs: Photos will take place this Friday 20th October, all orders must handed into the office by tomorrow. If you have ordered a sibling photo please go to the hall at 9am.
- Team Tui EOTC: Year 5 & 6 students will be participating in education outside the classroom in week 3. Team Tui Year 5 & 6 EOTC
- School Reunion (50 Years) – 27 and 28 October – see the Facebook page for more information.
- School Athletics Day – Friday 1st December from 11.15am
- School Prizegiving Assembly – 11th December 11 am start
- Cans for Good – This year Windy Ridge School will be participating in Wattie’s Cans for Good! It is a national can ‘collection, creation, education and donation’ campaign run by The Salvation Army in partnership with Wattie’s for New Zealand schools. Thanks to the incredible efforts of the 200 schools who participated in 2016, more than 92,000 cans were donated to Salvation Army foodbanks – restocking shelves in the high demand period leading up to Christmas. This year they hope to collect more than 100,000 cans. With Wattie’s donating a further 25,000 cans, this will make an incredible boost to local Salvation Army food banks at a critical time of year. We would be grateful for any contribution you can make. We will collect cans up until November 3rd when we will work to create a fun image with the cans before taking them to our local Glenfield Salvation Army. If you have any questions please email Mrs Turner [email protected] We thank you in advance for your help.
- Sun Safety – This term all children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
Out of Zone Enrolments for 2018Enrolment at Windy Ridge School is governed by an enrolment scheme, details of which are available from the school office. The Board has determined that there will be limited places available for out of zone new entrant students. These will likely be filled by siblings of current students. There may be limited places at other year levels. The deadline for applications is today the 18th October 2017. A ballot will be held on 24th October 2017. Ballot forms are available from the school office or [email protected] Parents of students who live within the school zone and intend on enrolling their children at any time next year, should notify the school as soon as possible to assist in planning appropriately for 2018.
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Other visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property – this is now displayed on the hall deck, please check before the holidays as we will be disposing of any left over items.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
School Terms 2017
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
- Calendar Art – A big Thank You! for all the Calendar Art orders in 2017 from which we’ve had some great feedback. We’ve received lots of requests from student’s families wishing to order additional items, and also from people that were away and missed the original order. Rather than process them individually we are running one more short order taking period to accomodate all of these. Please return all orders to the office by this Friday 20th.
- Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online www.entbook.co.nz/992s96
YOUNG AT ART – AFTER SCHOOL ART CLASSES (5yrs-15yrs) are open for bookings for Term 4 – FREE TRIALS AVAILABLE! Classes in Beach Haven and lots of other venues across Auckland. Inspire and encourage your young creative while they have fun learning technique and theory along the way. For more information and bookings or to talk to us about a FREE TRIAL please check out www.youngatart.co.nz or email: [email protected]
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact [email protected] Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.