Windy Ridge School Newsletter
September 20th 2017
Term 3 Week 9
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
- Team Fantail Trip: The Pumphouse Threatre – Mrs Wishy Washy, Wednesday 27th September Team Fantail Trip – The Pumphouse Theatre
- Assemblies for this term: Week 8 Falcon team, Week 10 All teams (Inquiry presentation)
- Family Science Workshops: Students will be notified tomorrow about who has been selected for the Family Science Workshops. Thank you to all the students who filled in application forms.
- Digital Citizenship Week at WRS: This week classes have been focusing on Digital Citizenship, especially Online Safety. We have two catch phrases that we are discussing with students. Respect and Protect schoolwide (looking after both yourself and others online) and for Teams Falcon and Tui we have also been looking at YAPPIE ( information that is important to keep private). Please take some time this week to discuss this with your child/children. Here are a couple of clips that may be helpful to watch with your family. Netsmartzkids RBS – The Movie and Brainpop Internet Safety Fun
- PhotoLife Class & Portrait Photographs: These photos will take place in week 1 of next term on Friday 20th October, all orders must handed into the office before this date. Sibling photo envelopes are available at the office.
- Team Tui EOTC: Year 5 & 6 students will be participating in education outside the classroom next term in week 3. Team Tui Year 5 & 6 EOTC
- Sun Safety – Next term all children will need sunhats at school every day. Please make sure they are named.
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Other visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property- collected and stored in the Health Room, and also in the Hall Kitchen.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
School Terms 2017
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
- Calendar Art – students are currently creating an artwork for this fundraiser, the artwork will be displayed in their classrooms. Sample calendars, cards, diaries, mouse pad and sketch pads can be viewed in the office. Please return your orders before the end of next week, 29th September. Calendar Art Order Form
- Quiz Night – Thank you to everyone who supported this event, the PTA raised over $5400.
- Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online www.entbook.co.nz/992s96
School holidays are just around the corner, and for the first time, Animates is partnering with ‘Kids Safe with Dogs’ to provide the perfect activity to help educate children how to behave around dogs. Your local Animates store will be hosting free seminars at 11am on Thursday 5th and 12th of October. Trained staff will use interactive real life scenarios, using a toy dog, to teach children how to behave around their own dog, and those that they encounter on the street.
Key points will include:
- How to approach a dog (when tied up, when eating, when in a car etc.)
- How and where to pat a dog
- How to make eye contact with a dog including best body language to use
- Learning the importance of always asking permission before approaching a dog
- These sessions will also be beneficial you’re thinking about introducing a fluffy friend to the family.There will also be the opportunity to ask the in-store experts for advice, and children who complete the workshop will take home a free activity book and certificate to proudly display on their wall or fridge.Although bookings aren’t necessary, the events are usually well attended so it’s advisable to arrive early.
SCHOOL HOLIDAY PROGRAMMESJoin us at Sir Peter Blake
Marine Education & Recreation Centre in Long Bay
For an awesome experience in the
October School Holidays
Dates: Monday 2nd October – 6th October
Monday 9th October – 13th October
Ages: 7—13 years (inclusive)
Cost: $40 per person/per day
Early drop off from 7.30am $5 extra
Late pickup until 6pm $5 extra
For more information contact the MERC team on
Ph: (09) 473 0714 or firstname.lastname@example.org or www.merc.org.nz
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.
|To register please contact Patrice Senio, Pacific Community Coordinator|
PH: 09 415 4653 | MOB: 027-7004018 | E: email@example.com
|FREE for Pacific Students 6-12 years|
Mini Chef School Holiday Programme
What to do during the short school holiday’s coming up?
We are pleased to offer another school holiday programme for the upcoming school holidays. All of our courses are offered online, making them the perfect parent/child holiday experience! Whilst learning and having lots of fun, students will gain some great kitchen skills and learn new recipes along the way!
There is no need to leave home, and at the end of the session, the Mini Chef’s are guaranteed to have learnt some exciting new techniques!
As a SPECIAL OFFER to each school that promotes the course to their students, either through their school newsletter or promoting to interested students, we will be offering the following:
For the school with the most student enrolments to our Mini Chef School Holiday Programme – Chef Andy will visit and do an exciting demonstration!
PRIZES FOR EACH SCHOOL
For every 10 students enrolled on the course, we will give 1 free course to the school in the form of a voucher. You can use this for fundraising or give it to a deserving child!
There are two courses to choose from – Cooking or Baking! Both courses cover Hygiene, Food Safety, Production Schedules and Recipe Costing.
COOKING – Students will learn to make FRESH Homemade Pasta and a sauce, Parmesan Twists, Mystery Basket ingredients to make a dip, a main course and a dessert! They will also learn to make decorated Cupcakes and make their own Chocolate Moulds!
BAKING – This course will cover decorated Cakes, baking a Swiss Roll, create shaped, flavoured biscuits with decoration, Chocolate Mousse, Pavlova and/or Meringues and Parmesan Twists!
All information is available on our website at www.internationalculinarystudio.com
If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Art classes for children ( ages 7 – 12yrs )
Kids that love drawing and painting keep coming back to these one-day workshops and after-school classes with step-by-step guidance from artist Eion Bryant.
ONE-DAY WORKSHOP: October 9th, 10.00am – 3.00pm, Birkenhead. Cost $50.
AFTER – SCHOOL ARTISTS: Tuesdays, 3.30pm – 5.00pm for 6 weeks starting October 31st. Cost $105.
BOOKINGS: email@example.com, ph. 483 6703
THE FLASH BANG SCIENCE CLUB – SPRING HOLIDAY SCIENCE WORKSHOPS (7yrs-16yrs) are open for bookings now and filling fast! Inspire your curious kids with practical, hands on experiments these holidays with classes available in Ponsonby and Pakuranga. Learn about all things fizzy in FIZZING FRENZY and engineering feats in BUILDING BRIDGES. For more information and bookings please check out www.flashbangscienceclub.co.nz or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUNG AT ART – SPRING HOLIDAY ART WORKSHOPS (5yrs-16yrs) are open for bookings now and filling fast! We have more fun and exciting projects on offer this holidays with classes available in Birkdale and other venues across Auckland. Inspire and encourage your young creative while they have fun learning technique and theory along the way. For more information and bookings please check out www.youngatart.co.nz or email: email@example.com.