Windy Ridge School Newsletter
September 13th 2017
Term 3 Week 8
School Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 033 4812 00
PTA Bank Account: ASB 12 3072 038 4799 00
KINDO: online school shop (click on KINDO to register)
Respect, Resilience, Kindness, Integrity
Hello, Hola a todos, Kumusta, Annyeonghaseyo, Ni Hao, Konichiwa, Namaste, Zdravstvuyte, Ciao, Cześć, Hallo, Bonjour, Salut, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Kia Ora Koutou
News from the Principal
Science Opportunity – Year 4 and 5 students and families
For the first time at WRS we are excited to be offering selected Year 4 and 5 students and their parents the opportunity to participate in Family Science Workshops. There is no cost involved.
The Term 4 workshops are aimed at creating an interest in science and science careers, and are facilitated by scientists and engineers, as well as university students who are studying STEM subjects.
We will be offering 12 students (in two groups of six), along with one of their parents/caregivers, the opportunity to participate in two science workshops, to be held on Wednesday evenings next term. The workshops run from 5.45pm – 7.30pm, and introduce topic-specific scientific concepts, with associated interactive games and role plays. The evenings begin with pizza and a chance to chat with the scientists. The two workshops that we will be offering in Term 4 are ‘DNA Extraction’ and ‘Electrical Energy’.
The confirmed dates for each set of workshops are:
Group A (Wednesday 25th October and Wednesday 1st November) or
Group B (Wednesday 8th November and Wednesday 15th November)
As part of the selection process, students must fill in the application form (including making sure a parent/caregiver will be available to accompany them) and return it to Miss Hurley by Monday the 18th of September. This form was been sent home yesterday and is also on the school website.
(Please note – Unfortunately this year we are limited to only twelve students, but if the workshops are successful we intend to continue running them next year, so other students may have a chance to participate in them in the future.)
- Team Fantail Trip – The Pumphouse Threatre – Mrs Wishy Washy, Wednesday 27th September Team Fantail Trip – The Pumphouse Theatre
- Assemblies for this term: Week 8 Falcon team, Week 10 All teams (Inquiry presentation)
- Reviewing school policies –
- Visit the website SchoolDocs – WRS
- Enter the username (windyridge) and password (WRS0629).
- Follow the link to the relevant policy as listed.
- Read the policy.
- Click the Policy Review button at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select the reviewer type “Parent”.
- Enter your name (optional).
- Submit your ratings and comments.
- THERE IS NO CAR-PARKING FOR PARENTS TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP CHILDREN FROM WITHIN THE SCHOOL GATES. Please ensure you park sensibly and legally on the road outside the school. School carpark gates will be shut from 8.30am. Other visitors to the school during school hours can park in the visitor parking in the back carpark between 9.00 am and 2.30 pm. (Mobility taxis use this space otherwise).
- Online Learning Support – Sunshine Online; www.sunshineonline.co.nz or iPad and android app (yellow). Username : windyridge1 Password : windyridge
- Lost Property- collected and stored in the Health Room, and also in the Hall Kitchen.
- Attendance – Please ensure that your children arrive at school on time and that we are aware of their absence by 9 am each day. We do follow up lateness and absence as we are required to report on both to the Ministry of Education and the Board of Trustees. If you are planning a holiday in term time please advise your child’s teacher and the office.
- Banking day is Thursday – please send ASB envelopes to the office.
- Ez Lunch is available all days of the week. Please go to ezlunch.co.nz to register and order. More information available at the office.
- WINDY RIDGE PARENTS Facebook – We have a closed Facebook page for Windy Ridge parents – you need to request to be part of this page. It is a valuable page for reminders, information, and general WRS ‘stuff. https://www.facebook.com/groups/windyridgeparents/
School Terms 2017
Term 3 Monday 24 July – Friday 29 Sept
Term 4 Monday 16 October – Friday 15 Dec
Labour Day – Monday 23/10
School Terms 2018
Term 1 Thursday 1 February – Friday 13 April
EASTER: Friday 30/03 – Tuesday 3/04
Term 2 Monday 30/04 – Friday 6/07
Queens Birthday: Monday 4/06
Term 3 Monday 23/07 – Friday 28/09
Term 4 Monday 15/10 – 17th or 18th Dec (tbc)
Labour Day – Monday 22/10
- Calendar Art – students are currently creating an artwork for this fundraiser, the artwork will be displayed in their classrooms. Sample calendars, cards, diaries, mouse pad and sketch pads can be viewed in the office. Please return your order before the end of term. Calendar Art Order Form
- Quiz Night – Friday 15th September at 7pm, tickets cost $20 see the attached flyer for more information Quiz Night
- Entertainment Books – This month and next we are selling entertainment books as a fundraiser with $14 from each book being donated to the school. We have a sample book in the office with order forms or see the attached link to order a book or digital membership online www.entbook.co.nz/992s96
Kaipatiki Community Facilities Trust Sustainable Neighbourhood Project.
Boomerang Bags ` `made in Kaipatiki “ is a community driven initiative tackling plastic pollution at the grassroots level through our KCFT Sustainable Neighbourhood Projects which is supported by the Birkenhead Licensing Trust. The many dedicated volunteers get together to make re-usable bags using recycled materials as a means to provide a sustainable alternative to plastic bags in Kaipatiki.
To set the scene, of Plastic Free Kaipatiki, we absolutely need your help! Keen Volunteers needed to help with cutting and sorting the materials, pinning, ironing, stamping and sewing at the planned sewing bees.
All ages welcome! No experience required – sewers non sewers…….churches, community sites………every one volunteer is exceptional……..if you’re keen please let us know, or if you can donate material for this programme…….or other ideas, we welcome contact Jill@kaipatikicommunityfacilitiestrust.org.nz Let’s see how many sewing bees we can add to the existing at Bayview Community Centre, Chartwell Hub and Beach Haven Community House. Our two lovely project leads Tracey and Alana……would be keen to hear from you.
The Facebook Page Boomerang Bags North Shore Auckland https://www.facebook.com/groups/184754688701669/ Thank you.
|To register please contact Patrice Senio, Pacific Community Coordinator|
PH: 09 415 4653 | MOB: 027-7004018 | E: email@example.com
|FREE for Pacific Students 6-12 years|
Mini Chef School Holiday Programme
What to do during the short school holiday’s coming up?
We are pleased to offer another school holiday programme for the upcoming school holidays. All of our courses are offered online, making them the perfect parent/child holiday experience! Whilst learning and having lots of fun, students will gain some great kitchen skills and learn new recipes along the way!
There is no need to leave home, and at the end of the session, the Mini Chef’s are guaranteed to have learnt some exciting new techniques!
As a SPECIAL OFFER to each school that promotes the course to their students, either through their school newsletter or promoting to interested students, we will be offering the following:
For the school with the most student enrolments to our Mini Chef School Holiday Programme – Chef Andy will visit and do an exciting demonstration!
PRIZES FOR EACH SCHOOL
For every 10 students enrolled on the course, we will give 1 free course to the school in the form of a voucher. You can use this for fundraising or give it to a deserving child!
There are two courses to choose from – Cooking or Baking! Both courses cover Hygiene, Food Safety, Production Schedules and Recipe Costing.
COOKING – Students will learn to make FRESH Homemade Pasta and a sauce, Parmesan Twists, Mystery Basket ingredients to make a dip, a main course and a dessert! They will also learn to make decorated Cupcakes and make their own Chocolate Moulds!
BAKING – This course will cover decorated Cakes, baking a Swiss Roll, create shaped, flavoured biscuits with decoration, Chocolate Mousse, Pavlova and/or Meringues and Parmesan Twists!
All information is available on our website at www.internationalculinarystudio.com
If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Art classes for children ( ages 7 – 12yrs )
Kids that love drawing and painting keep coming back to these one-day workshops and after-school classes with step-by-step guidance from artist Eion Bryant.
ONE-DAY WORKSHOP: October 9th, 10.00am – 3.00pm, Birkenhead. Cost $50.
AFTER – SCHOOL ARTISTS: Tuesdays, 3.30pm – 5.00pm for 6 weeks starting October 31st. Cost $105.
BOOKINGS: email@example.com, ph. 483 6703
THE FLASH BANG SCIENCE CLUB – SPRING HOLIDAY SCIENCE WORKSHOPS (7yrs-16yrs) are open for bookings now and filling fast! Inspire your curious kids with practical, hands on experiments these holidays with classes available in Ponsonby and Pakuranga. Learn about all things fizzy in FIZZING FRENZY and engineering feats in BUILDING BRIDGES. For more information and bookings please check out www.flashbangscienceclub.co.nz or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUNG AT ART – SPRING HOLIDAY ART WORKSHOPS (5yrs-16yrs) are open for bookings now and filling fast! We have more fun and exciting projects on offer this holidays with classes available in Birkdale and other venues across Auckland. Inspire and encourage your young creative while they have fun learning technique and theory along the way. For more information and bookings please check out www.youngatart.co.nz or email: email@example.com.